Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > BMX
Reload this Page >

New Bike Advice

Search
Notices
BMX Dirt, vert, flatland or street? Drop in the BMX forum to talk to other 20" riders around the world. What is the best BMX bicycle for you? Learn all about it here.

New Bike Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-23, 01:27 PM
Echonick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
New Bike Advice

I'm looking for some advice on getting a BMX bike. I'm 6' and about 180 lbs. I want to ride pump tracks and do some jumping - nothing crazy, but enough to have some fun on. I've been doing some research, but there are so many makes and models that I don't really know where to begin. Someone near me is selling a WeThePeople Atlas for $600, but a local bike shop has them for around $750, so I don't think $600 is much of a deal. I'd really like to get into the game for $200 - $300 for a good used bike, but that can be easier said than done. I saw a Redline Pro locally for $150, but the guy sold it the day before I saw it and contacted him. There was a 2015 GT Rob Wise for $250 that was out of town - I was there for a weekend and wanted to check it out but I ended up not having time nor space in my vehicle for it . I really have no idea of any of those bikes would be a good fit for me, anyway. I'm trying to take some of the guesswork out of this so I can get onto a bike and start riding, so I'm hoping you good folks here can give me some advice and suggestions. Okay - looking forward to what y'all have to say about this!
Old 01-09-23, 03:47 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 190 Times in 132 Posts
I'm the same size as you - if you're looking at race bikes and looking to do pump and jumping rather than tricks (especially grinds) I think you probably want a Pro XL size at least. I ride that size, and most people I race against are shorter than me on bigger bikes. My 12yo is 5'1" and I'm building a Pro size for him to race this summer.

The WeThePeople bike & the GT Rob Wise are freestyle bikes, the Redline Proline Pro is a race bike. If you aren't looking to do grinds, then either will probably work for what you're talking about. Around me, I can find okay-level freestyle bikes for $50 and less (but with the brakes removed, a little bit of rust and paint damage - "used" fairly heavily but able to be repaired), race bikes I seldom see adult (ProXL, ProXXL, ProXXXL) sizes for less than $400.

I encourage you to head out to a track and race if you've got one nearby, it's loads of fun.
Old 01-09-23, 06:10 PM
Echonick

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Viich
I'm the same size as you - if you're looking at race bikes and looking to do pump and jumping rather than tricks (especially grinds) I think you probably want a Pro XL size at least. I ride that size, and most people I race against are shorter than me on bigger bikes. My 12yo is 5'1" and I'm building a Pro size for him to race this summer.

The WeThePeople bike & the GT Rob Wise are freestyle bikes, the Redline Proline Pro is a race bike. If you aren't looking to do grinds, then either will probably work for what you're talking about. Around me, I can find okay-level freestyle bikes for $50 and less (but with the brakes removed, a little bit of rust and paint damage - "used" fairly heavily but able to be repaired), race bikes I seldom see adult (ProXL, ProXXL, ProXXXL) sizes for less than $400.

I encourage you to head out to a track and race if you've got one nearby, it's loads of fun.
Thanks man - much appreciated. I’m looking for a bike to ride with my son (7) who is really into it. I got a lead on that WTP Atlas bike - gonna meet up and check it out, and they’re cool with working out a deal.
Likes For Echonick:
Old 01-13-23, 09:40 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked 1,877 Times in 1,080 Posts

Consider an Eastern bike - including an Eastern Grim Reaper
Old 01-17-23, 07:14 PM
Echonick

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by t2p