Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

I"m 70, drive iron regularly

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Old 10-14-22, 05:45 PM
revetment

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

have a lot fo muscle, but need to lose 60 lbs. how much biking can I expect to need to do per day or week? Thanks. I'm aware that the main thing is "pushaways" from the dinner table.
Old 10-14-22, 06:14 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
Biking is good for cardiovascular workouts and burning calories, but you will have to simultaneously control calorie intake if you want to lose any weight. The problem, especially as we grow older, is doing this while preserving muscle mass, so a variety of complementary workouts will help more. If you can do 100 miles/week and not change your calorie intake, you can start to slowly drop a few pounds per month. If you can sustain that while significantly cutting intake, especially simple sugars, then you can probably drop a lot more.
Old 10-15-22, 05:08 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4273 Post(s)
Liked 4,712 Times in 2,911 Posts
You would be better off thinking more about how much biking you can realistically do per day or week. Obviously the more you do, the more calories you burn. But you are not going to realistically be able to ride more than maybe an hour or two per day as a beginner - and probably considerably less if you are unfit and overweight.

So I would say just start riding and see how much you can cope with. Along with a sensible diet, you will almost certainly lose weight in the long term.
Old 10-16-22, 04:48 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
helps to Include pumping iron i.e.- resistance weight training = more weight loss

https://theconversation.com/resistan...rn%20at%20rest.
Old 10-16-22, 07:03 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by revetment
have a lot fo muscle, but need to lose 60 lbs. how much biking can I expect to need to do per day or week? Thanks. I'm aware that the main thing is "pushaways" from the dinner table.
I would suggest considering increasing your focus on cardio type exercises. Hard trail hikes, distance jogging/running, rowing (at the gym), treadmill (at the gym), and swapping a portion of your "weight" training with compound-motion floor exercises that'll really get your heart going. Consider high-intensity sequences in some of your training, as well (like Fartlek during running, or HIIT during floor exercises or biking/rowing). If you swim, you might also consider swimming, which, at speed, can consume considerable amounts of calories and provide a fairly whole-body workout.

Here's a guide that can provide a lot of ideas for various exercises to consider for workouts, particularly the gym and "floor" portions of your workouts.

https://darebee.com/filter#sort=posi...=cardio&page=1

The MuscleAndFitness website has a search/filter tool that can show a variety of suggested exercises and workouts. Can filter for type=cardio and difficulty, to narrow in on what might best suit you. Can then pick and choose the specific exercises or routines that might work with your schedule and equipment.

https://www.muscleandfitness.com/workout-routines/
Old 10-16-22, 07:14 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 449 Times in 246 Posts
If you want to lose weight, the best way is to consume as much information about proper diet as possible. That new info will cause you to find a way that works best for you.
For me, intermittent fasting and low carb became my best strategy. I lost 160 lbs in 2 years after age 50. I lost approx. 8-12 lbs. per month.

There's no way to say how long it will take you. My best advice is to weigh every day, but don't be too concerned about 5 lbs either way. You can fluctuate that much each day. What you want is to track is the trend over 1-2 weeks whether you are slowly losing weight, staying the same, or even gaining, and adjust what you are doing accordingly.
Likes For RH Clark: