Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help with a Campagnolo Racing Triple rear derailleur

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 01-27-23, 09:45 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts

I have a Campy Racing Triple rear derailleur with what looks to be a hybrid cage. I'm looking for a source
of the derailleur cage plate. I think the one I have is bent.

If you put it on a frame with wheel and cassette or freewheel and adjust the stop screw to align the upper
pulley with the small sprocket, and then look for the alignment of those two wheels with the lower one,
the lower pulley is offset by about 5 mm. I think the inner cage plate is not a Campy original, and
represents a bodge by the original owner of the part. I've actually ridden on it pretty extensively,
but I'd like to fix it now that I've seen it.

I trued the rear wheel, verified the dish, aligned the dropouts, performed a string test, and hence have
the back of the bike in as good an alignment as I can think of, short of trying a Park frame alignment
gauge to make sure the two rear triangles are symmetrically offset.

If I could get a complete Racing Triple or find someone who can perhaps make a replacement (I can
provide specs, pics, or the offending device) inner cage plate, I could get this old shifter back into
doing its business.
Old 01-27-23, 07:59 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Originally Posted by Road Fan
I have a Campy Racing Triple rear derailleur with what looks to be a hybrid cage. I'm looking for a source
of the derailleur cage plate. I think the one I have is bent..
Short version: Does anyone have a Campagnolo Racing Triple or Racing T rear derailleur, to sell, used or for parts?
Old 01-27-23, 10:13 PM
C9H13N 

Bikes: Davidson ’81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 121 Posts
I have an Icarus MTB RD and it has a bent cage too. When I first noticed it, I was super confused because there’s no indication mine ever hit a rock or anything, it’s almost brand new. Then I looked the Campy MTB derailleurs on Disraeli Gears and some of them look the same way.

https://www.disraeligears.co.uk/site...erailleur.html

https://www.disraeligears.co.uk/site...erailleur.html

does that look like what’s going on with your cage?
Old 01-28-23, 05:49 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 1,016 Times in 398 Posts
I would do two things first: a) I did not see you mention alignment of the RD hanger. That is a very common problem. I’ve corrected dozens of “tweeked” hangers and solved dozens of shifting issues. And b) disassemble the RD cage and check the two side pieces on a glass plate. Glass plates (I use a scrap bit of 1/4” plate glass) are pretty good reference surfaces. Do the side plates lie flat on glass or rock a bit cuz they’re bent?
Old 01-28-23, 06:41 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1601 Post(s)
Liked 2,187 Times in 1,092 Posts
@Road Fan - You don't need a special tool to check the rear triangle, although I do have one. @Doug Fatticc recommends using a long straight edge like a 4' level to lay across the head tube and seat tube. Measure from the dropout to the straight edge and compare to the measurement from the other side after flipping the frame.
I did that on my Bianchi and found the rear triangle was skewed to the DS. After placing a rear hub in the dropouts and supporting the main triangle, I stepped on the the upper DO a couple of times and it move into place. Now it is symmetrical.

It might make sense that checking the DO alignment is enough wrt the hanger, it should be checked anyway. The misalignment could be between the plane of the axle portion of the DO and the hanger portion. @Prowlers recommendations is good. I use a glass coffee table to check "flatness" of rims, very useful as is a large stone countertop.
Old 01-28-23, 09:19 PM
Road Fan

Originally Posted by Prowler
I would do two things first: a) I did not see you mention alignment of the RD hanger. That is a very common problem. I’ve corrected dozens of “tweeked” hangers and solved dozens of shifting issues. And b) disassemble the RD cage and check the two side pieces on a glass plate. Glass plates (I use a scrap bit of 1/4” plate glass) are pretty good reference surfaces. Do the side plates lie flat on glass or rock a bit cuz they’re bent?
I have checked and set the hanger alignment, using a DAG.
Old 01-28-23, 09:43 PM
Road Fan

Originally Posted by SJX426
@Road Fan - You don't need a special tool to check the rear triangle, although I do have one. @Doug Fatticc recommends using a long straight edge like a 4' level to lay across the head tube and seat tube. Measure from the dropout to the straight edge and compare to the measurement from the other side after flipping the frame.
I did that on my Bianchi and found the rear triangle was skewed to the DS. After placing a rear hub in the dropouts and supporting the main triangle, I stepped on the the upper DO a couple of times and it move into place. Now it is symmetrical.

It might make sense that checking the DO alignment is enough wrt the hanger, it should be checked anyway. The misalignment could be between the plane of the axle portion of the DO and the hanger portion. @Prowlers recommendations is good. I use a glass coffee table to check "flatness" of rims, very useful as is a large stone countertop.
I have checked the rear triangle offsets from the frame centerline using a Park tool very similar to what Doug F describes. They are within 1 mm, as far as I can tell. I have also checked the derailleur hanger alignment, using a triued and dished wheel.

I'm pretty sure there is a bend in the derailleur cage.

I don't think the Racing T was intended as a MTB derailleur. I'm pretty sure Racing T and Racing Triple sets were intended for wide range over terrain requiring more and wider gears, and to handle a wider range than a Record Triple. I think the Centaur CTs (50/34 doubles) were not on the scene yet. I'm not sure about indexing drivetrains. At least I've always thought of it as a Road group. I don't know the purpose of a cage which bends outward, for an MTB and certainly not for road use. I don't see this contouring on several Shimanos I have and on an 11sp Athena triple on my wife's road bike.
Old 01-29-23, 04:44 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 747 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
I'm pretty sure there is a bend in the derailleur cage.
I'm starting to build up the frame I built in Doug's class (with much work by Doug -- credit where credit is due). I'm using a Racing Triple rear derailleur. I took a peek at it yesterday. The cage is arrow straight. It looks nothing like the images posted here or on Disraeli Gears.
Old 01-29-23, 06:48 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1601 Post(s)
Liked 2,187 Times in 1,092 Posts
RD00-RA309, from 2000,. Cropped pic but it states 9 speed. Cage is straight, no bends.
P1050217 on Flickr