Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Specific tool for Campagnolo chains?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 01-17-23, 07:20 AM
gt3racerich

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 9 Posts

I am replacing a Record 10 speed chain.
I have done it in the past just using the chain tool on my multi-tool. Maybe I never read the instructions before but they are very specific in saying to only use the Campanolo tool, part # UT-CN200.
I never mind buying the correct tool for a job but at over $150 is it really needed? Anything else that would be recommended that would do a better job then the Muti-tool that is not as expensive as the Campy tool?
Thanks in advance for any info.
Old 01-17-23, 07:50 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked 3,944 Times in 2,637 Posts
Campagnolo requires a peening tool so different than a special S-group chain tool. I recall Pedros and Park making a tool that does peening. The Park one is currently discontinued only because a new one is in the works but your local shop might still have a CT-4.3. Me personally if I did have a Campagnolo drivetrain I would probably have the tool as I would want to make sure I did it correctly because I bought the Campagnolo drivetrain and want to stick with Campagnolo parts though I am lucky enough to have a Abbey Decade Chain Tool so in that case I might not because I have the finest chain tool out there which has the peening ability.

A multi tool is a really poor chain tool. Multi tools are tools I would carry with them while riding to perform usually functions that require a different hex and torx wrenches and maybe a screwdriver or two and maybe some separate tire lever(s) and inflation. The only time I might consider a chain tool is mountain biking or long distance touring or something like that. Multi Tools that try to do everything seem cool in the head but aren't great in actual practice. Trying to miniaturize and keep everything together leads to tools that are harder to use in the end. Plus I don't think I have seen a multi tool that has a chain tool that also handles Campagnolo chains but even so everything still applies.
Old 01-17-23, 07:54 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Campy has always warned against using any chain tool but their own ridiculously expensive and frequently changed ones. If you followed their advice you would have to buy a new chain tool ($$$) from them every time Camy introduced a new chain.

The Park CT-3.3 chain tool sells for about $40 and will work with just about any bike chain made. Also, instead of using Campy's specific joining pin/link KMC makes a Campy-specific 10-speed "Missing Link" reusable quick link that works very well and is far more reasonably priced.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 01-17-23, 08:16 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
+1 for what HillRider said above. KMC Missing Links are VERY reliable, easier to live with if you remove your chain for cleaning and $ as opposed to $$$$$$+ for the tool.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 01-17-23 at 08:49 AM.
Old 01-17-23, 08:33 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 1,515 Times in 988 Posts
Not peening the pin is a recipe for disaster. Do it right or use a different link, or different chain.

Bike shops generally don't charge that much to put a chain on with their tool.
Old 01-17-23, 09:24 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 973 Posts
The peening tool was introduced when Campagnolo went to 11 speed. It wasn't used for 10 speed chains
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 01-17-23, 11:25 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 352 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
+1 for what HillRider said above. KMC Missing Links are VERY reliable, easier to live with if you remove your chain for cleaning and $ as opposed to $$$$$$+ for the tool.
Yup. I've been using quick links on Campy 10s and 11s chains for years. No issues.
Old 01-17-23, 12:54 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Campy has always warned against using any chain tool but their own ridiculously expensive and frequently changed ones. If you followed their advice you would have to buy a new chain tool ($$$) from them every time Camy introduced a new chain.

The Park CT-3.3 chain tool sells for about $40 and will work with just about any bike chain made. Also, instead of using Campy's specific joining pin/link KMC makes a Campy-specific 10-speed "Missing Link" reusable quick link that works very well and is far more reasonably priced.
It's been awhile since last looking at what Park has for chain tools. The 3.3 will certainly suffice to break a chain, so that you can install a master link, but does not work in peening a Campy pin if you want to join the chain in that manner. I see though that for some reason, it seems Park has discontinued for good, not having brought it back anyway, their 4.x series of "master" chain tools -- which could peen campy pins/chains. Seems odd to get rid of their ostensible 'shop quality' chain tool.

Funny Q&A on their website IMO:
Old 01-17-23, 09:54 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3580 Post(s)
Liked 3,393 Times in 1,927 Posts
Park made the CT-11 chain peening tool, but it seems to be discontinued. BikeToolsEtc was blowing them out for $20 a while ago, but they seem to be all gone now.
Old 01-18-23, 05:26 AM
gt3racerich

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply. I appreciate the info.
Will order the park tool and some quick links.
Likes For gt3racerich:
Old 01-18-23, 01:38 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Park made the CT-11 chain peening tool, but it seems to be discontinued. BikeToolsEtc was blowing them out for $20 a while ago, but they seem to be all gone now.
I bought one of those years ago when Campagnolo brought out 11 speed chains. I already had a good chain tool and all I needed was to be able to peen the pin. I was able to buy at wholesale prices back then so it wasn't a big expense. I have only used it a couple of times because I am running Campagnolo 10 speed but it is nice to have if I ever need it
Old 01-18-23, 07:33 PM
Champy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Waste of money
Old 01-28-23, 10:54 AM
gt3racerich

I bought the Missing links and tools but when I install them on the chain they are too tight and un usable (they squeeze the chain to tightly, not along the length of the chain but the width). It is a simple design and straight forward installation. Any ideas as to what the problem might be? It is the correct link for the chain.

Last edited by gt3racerich; 01-28-23 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-28-23, 11:37 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by gt3racerich
I bought the Missing links and tools but when I install them on the chain they are too tight and un usable (they squeeze the chain to tightly, not along the length of the chain but the width). It is a simple design and straight forward installation. Any ideas as to what the problem might be? It is the correct link for the chain.
KMC makes "Missing Links" in a variety of widths for different speeds and makes of chains. The 10-speed link for Shimano is different for the one for Campy chains. Be sure you specified the correct link.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 01-29-23, 07:23 AM
gt3racerich

It is the correct link for the chain, unless it was packaged and labeled incorrectly.