Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage > Classic and Vintage Sales
Reload this Page >

FS: early 80s Dura Ace hubset

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-23, 03:16 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 249 Posts

SOLD

- 36 hole
- 126mm rear hub Over Locknut Dimension
- UniGlide (Q for you: when does "uni" have nothing to do with being unified or uniform? .... when Shimano sells it.....)
- - note: rear skewer is not a Shimano skewer
- - Repacked with new balls. Rear cones have scoring, no pitting. Front cones show scoring and a little pitting. Both feel very smooth. (i have highly calibrated hands for detecting smoothness.... no, really.)

Part Number: Shimano FH-7370, Dura-Ace AX VeloBase: https://velobase.com/ViewComponent.a...110&AbsPos=383

-- Good Mojo Note: If you are not familiar with the early 80s Dura Ace hub and cassette compatibility issues, please do a bit of research so you don't end up frustrated (and leaking bad mojo all over the place....), The D-A UniGlide lock cogs are NOT same diameter as other flavors of UniGlide Shimano manufactured. And D-A requires two (2) - count them, two!! - locking cogs. Only a handful of Japanese engineers and the Good Lord in heaven knows why.
- click here for a bit of info on Dura Ace locking cogs: https://www.loosescrews.com/product/...dura-ace-6-sp/

OK - I think that's it. I'll move these to eBay in a couple of weeks. I've seen folks trying to sell single "AX" hubs at about $50 there.

pics:

Last edited by mrv; 01-28-23 at 08:45 PM. Reason: D-A AX hubset uses 1 locking cog
Old 01-22-23, 07:11 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,194 Times in 962 Posts
Not to be disagreeable, but the DA AX freehub cassette only uses the smallest sprocket to lock the cassette. There are not two threaded sprockets. I know because I have these hubs on a set of wheels and custom built my own cassette.

It is true the DA version uses a different size sprocket than the 600 AX freehub. Therefore you need that first sprocket to be marked as DA.

Hope this is helpful information.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 01-23-23, 05:43 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Not to be disagreeable, but the DA AX freehub cassette only uses the smallest sprocket to lock the cassette. There are not two threaded sprockets. I know because I have these hubs on a set of wheels and custom built my own cassette.

It is true the DA version uses a different size sprocket than the 600 AX freehub. Therefore you need that first sprocket to be marked as DA.

Hope this is helpful information.
AH! OK - I was going by the Third Hand link. I'll correct / update forthwith. Many thanks, Pastor!
Likes For mrv:
Old 01-28-23, 08:33 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

preeBay bump. feel free to make an offer.
cheers.
Old 01-29-23, 06:51 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by mrv
SOLD​​
OH GOOD.
I spent way too long trying to price out if it was economical to buy all the other pieces needed for a wheelset. Not surprisingly, AX wheelsets aren't listed or sold frequently.
Likes For Unca_Sam: