Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Snap ring pliers as master link pliers

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 01-26-23, 07:52 PM
zsid

Bikes: Trek Marlin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Personally I hate to purchase single function tools, so I was wondering if the the Channellock 926 would be able to open a master link/quicklink. Can I use a pair of snap ring pliers as a masterlink plier?
Old 01-26-23, 08:18 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
Yes, most will work, including the Channellock but some of the cheaper ones made of swiss cheese may bend the tips. Try yours and see. You could also cut up an old allen wrench of the correct size to use for tips for chain removal rather than risk feckering up the nice Channellock tips.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 01-30-23 at 09:45 AM.
Old 01-26-23, 09:29 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,385 Times in 2,048 Posts
I ground/filed a couple grooves in a pair of mig pliers I found in the road

​​​​​​https://www.airgas.com/product/Weldi...2cd&fo_s=cstmc
Likes For dedhed:
Old 01-26-23, 09:36 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
I ground/filed a couple grooves in a pair of mig pliers I found in the road.
I did the same thing with a pair of cheap needle nose pliers I found on the road while riding. I filed the noses thin enough to fit into the links and filed a pair of matching grooves across the noses. So far they have worked perfectly at no cost.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 01-27-23, 04:35 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 223 Posts
I have to say, I thought masterlink pliers were a silly single use tool taking up space. But after getting a proper pair I find they're quite invaluable. So much better than any tool hack I've used earlier.

It's not the opening that's the handy part. It's the closing. Most masterlinks tend to be far more tricky to close than open.
Likes For elcruxio:
Old 01-27-23, 06:29 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Originally Posted by elcruxio
Most masterlinks tend to be far more tricky to close than open.
Chain on top step on pedal
Likes For dedhed:
Old 01-27-23, 11:23 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 355 Posts
I have to say, I thought masterlink pliers were a silly single use tool taking up space. But after getting a proper pair I find they're quite invaluable. So much better than any tool hack I've used earlier.

It's not the opening that's the handy part. It's the closing. Most masterlinks tend to be far more tricky to close than open.
Curious. I have a set to open the quick link, but never use them to close it. As dedhed says, you just put pressure on the pedal and they snap right into place.

For those who grind their own tools, I have to wonder if the cost of the grinder is ever paid back compared to actually purchasing the special tools. There aren't that many special bicycle tools you can make with a grinder. Maybe it's just sour grapes because I don't own a grinder.
Old 01-27-23, 11:33 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 954 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
I use a simple wire type tool for my Quick Links. If the link is really stuck then it is most likely damaged so I go to my Chain Breaker for removal. Also note that even though not necessary I recently stopped reusing my Quick Links when I had one come apart in my hands after removal.

https://www.bikeforums.net/22778564-post14.html
Old 01-27-23, 11:33 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Originally Posted by KerryIrons
For those who grind their own tools, I have to wonder if the cost of the grinder is ever paid back compared to actually purchasing the special tools. There aren't that many special bicycle tools you can make with a grinder. Maybe it's just sour grapes because I don't own a grinder.
I have had a grinder for years, bought used from a yard sale for $25. So, not a big expense and used for numerous other jobs over the time I've had it. I certainly wouldn't buy one just to make one relatively cheap tool. BTW, I saw it while riding my bike past the yard sale on my way home one day.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 01-27-23, 11:36 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
There's always a hack, sure. But, there's this funny saying, "Right tool for the job..."
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 01-27-23, 12:20 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked 2,808 Times in 1,534 Posts

I have the same experience, getting master link pliers was one of my better purchases, seemed like overkill but really reduced effort and frustration

the other cool thing for putting chains together is a simple bit of long u shaped wire to hold the change together when installing the link

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 01-27-23, 01:46 PM
HillRider

Originally Posted by squirtdad
the other cool thing for putting chains together is a simple bit of long u shaped wire to hold the change together when installing the link
Yep, another zero cost tool. I cut a 6" long piece of a wire coat hanger (remember those?), bent it into a shallow U-shape and bent a hook at each end. Insert the end hooks through the chain ends leaving enough slack to overlap the two end links, insert the master link and snap it together. The tool takes the rear derailleur's tension off the chain while you are joining it.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 01-27-23, 10:48 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Originally Posted by squirtdad
Old brake caliper spring
Old 01-27-23, 10:50 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Likes For dedhed:
Old 01-28-23, 08:39 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 1244 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 702 Posts
^^^This. Totally agree!

...and yet it has never even occurred to me that one could use masterlink pliers to close the link! Nor that one would even need a tool to do so. I just slip the two halves together by hand, very gently backpedal so that the masterlink is on top between cassette and chainring, and then give a good solid stomp down to the forward pedal. Boom, locked link.
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 01-28-23, 09:46 AM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 89 Posts
I do this all the time.
Old 01-29-23, 12:53 AM
Camilo

Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
I did the same thing with a pair of cheap needle nose pliers I found on the road while riding. I filed the noses thin enough to fit into the links and filed a pair of matching grooves across the noses. So far they have worked perfectly at no cost.
I have a slim needle nose that I have used before I got the $12 tool.... which I use quite a bit more frequently than other non-specialty tools I have.
Old 01-29-23, 06:28 AM
elcraft
elcraft

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
I have had a grinder for years, bought used from a yard sale for $25. So, not a big expense and used for numerous other jobs over the time I've had it. I certainly wouldn't buy one just to make one relatively cheap tool. BTW, I saw it while riding my bike past the yard sale on my way home one day.
I WOULD recommend buying a bench grinder! A grinder has many other valuable uses, as well. It can be mounted with polishing wheels or cut-off/ sitting discs. Some use it to even the ends of compressionless/ indexing cable housing for cleaner more precise shifting. Grinding the mildly rounded end of an Allen wrench can revitalize it. Shortening bolts and cleaning up the threaded end or thinning down shims/washers are valuable for a myriad of reasons. The imported/ cheap versions cost between $30 and $60. Along with a bench vise, these may be one of the most versatile tools for any home shop. If mounted to a board, they can be clamped to a table or picnic bench when needed and stowed when not.
Old 01-29-23, 08:05 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 405 Posts
Probably sounds silly but building up a frame (not simple maintenance) is a zen like experience for me where I relax and love the rhythm of the tasks until I have to take the bike off the stand and press the pedal to set the quick link or use one of a drawer full of snap ring pliers, heavy and light with 90 degree heads on them which I used for years. Then I got these and all is well: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D6NV4TL/?tag=dwym-20
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 01-29-23, 09:32 PM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 278 Posts
Hard to believe that people with the bucks to buy a bike won't pop $8 for a proper tool. I bought two on fleabay, gave one to my brother and didn't have to miss a single meal.
YMMV of course
Old 01-30-23, 07:53 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Liked 1,922 Times in 1,206 Posts
Equally hard to believe we used quick links for a couple decades before we learned we needed a special tool to disconnect them. How ever did we unhook the links before??

Oh, yeah, cocked a normal pair of pliers sideways and squeezed.
Old 01-30-23, 11:31 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Most people who own a bench grinder are the DIY type and will have numerous grinding power tools and use them for lots of different things. I have an 8" bench grinder, 3 angle grinders, dremel, and even an air die grinder. realistically modifying a pair of pliers into a chain link plier could be done with a flat file and a rat tail file by hand. If I recall I put the groove in with a file.
Old 01-30-23, 12:30 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
Yep, another zero cost tool. I cut a 6" long piece of a wire coat hanger (remember those?), bent it into a shallow U-shape and bent a hook at each end. Insert the end hooks through the chain ends leaving enough slack to overlap the two end links, insert the master link and snap it together. The tool takes the rear derailleur's tension off the chain while you are joining it.
I just remove the chain from the chainring and let it rest on the BB shell while attaching the masterlink.
Old 01-30-23, 01:30 PM
HillRider

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Equally hard to believe we used quick links for a couple decades before we learned we needed a special tool to disconnect them. How ever did we unhook the links before??

Oh, yeah, cocked a normal pair of pliers sideways and squeezed.
Many of the early master links like Craig's and most Connex came apart with moderate hand pressure and didn't need tools of any kind. That's not true anymore.
Old 02-02-23, 10:18 PM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
Curious. I have a set to open the quick link, but never use them to close it. As dedhed says, you just put pressure on the pedal and they snap right into place.

Typically I don't grind a tool because I don't want to pay for the correct thing, I grind a tool because I don't want to wait for the correct thing. Middle of the night swapping a clutch, socket doesn't fit the pressure plate to flywheel screws on the replacement and I *am* going to use a torque wrench on them. Ground down the socket wall at midnight, got the car back together and drove it the next day. Still had to replace my socket, but it was better than the hassle of my little brother that I was giving the car to waiting another day before going home.

Often I'm already fabricating something and the grinder is a fast way to prep an edge, deburr something, etc. Vs. using a file it saves me loads of time = money. The ability to modify a tool is just a bonus.