Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Hello darkness my old friend

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-20, 09:01 AM
Cyclist0090
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey there!

Jamie, from WA, USA, via UK!
Life has a lot of bumps and curves!
I've not ridden in 10 years. I used to ride dirt/mud/gravel terrain but then kids came, I moved to another country and boom - sedentary.
My weight increased significantly in those 10 years, and my fitness levels dropped.

But, Recently, I've picked up an indoor smart trainer, a Cannondale CAAD13 and a monthly subscription to Zwift!
Man a lot has changed in bikes in the past 10 years!

Anyhoo, cycling is definitely not as easy as I remember it! I'm sweating every mile and pushing through but am seeing small gains every ride.

Anyway, wanted to say hi, and I'm excited to be here, ask questions and learn a lot - while also sharing some of my own experiences!
Old 08-10-20, 11:30 PM
spank226

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 23 Posts
Welcome. I'm not too unlike you in the whole "been off the bike a while and had a kid' scenario. It's amazing how fast the legs come back, but not as fast as your head thinks they do... so give yourself permission to take your time. I started with jogging (I HATE jogging) first and did that for 6 months before throwing my lycra-covered leg over a bike and thus far I've only been able to get up to 3-4 rides per week in, starting at 25-30 min in length before I ramping up to a 2hr ride over the course of many weeks.

Of course, that one 2-hr ride set me back another month or so after I found myself reawakening some old war wounds... But I'm back to my 30min rides and will try to ramp them up again.

Anyway, I'm back down to a less-than-embarassing weight and not far from my "off-season weight", even though it is distributed MUCH differently now than it was over 20yrs ago...

Stick with it and welcome back to the bike. You aren't alone in your struggles.
Old 08-12-20, 05:38 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
Welcome back!
Old 08-13-20, 11:54 AM
Cyclist0090
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spank226
thus far I've only been able to get up to 3-4 rides per week in, starting at 25-30 min in length before I ramping up to a 2hr ride over the course of many weeks.
That's what I'm currently at - using Zwift and pacing at around 3min 45s per mile - but I think maybe I'm overdoing it and need to remember to take recovery days!

Sorry your old wounds have resurfaced - I ope you recover from them and enjoy the cycling more!!