Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Hello! New old guy here.

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Hello! New old guy here.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-21, 06:53 PM
GregP74

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hello! New old guy here.

Hello everyone!

So here's the scoop. I recently bought a bike for the first time in 30 years. I'm a little out of shape (ok a lot) and lot out of the biking world.

My neighborhood isn't very conducive to riding. There's some big hills. Also some busy streets but there are ways to weave amongst them. I went down to the local bike shop to see what they had that would fit me. I told the guy who was helping me I wasn't interested in those fancy shmancy new fangled ebikes. I wanted to stick with a good old fashioned Greg powered bike. My initial plan was to spend a few hundred bucks on a bike and toss it in the back of the Mazda and go visit one of the nearby bike paths when I wanted to ride. I tried a couple out and went home to think about what I wanted before I jumped into anything.

On the way home though I started thinking about those ebikes I had shunned. If one of those could actually help me up these hills I'd probably be riding around here a heck of a lot more than I would be if I had to toss the bike in the car (or on a rack) any time I wanted to go for a ride. So yeah. I ended up adding another zero to the cost of the bike I was buying, but I'm now the proud owner of a new Specialized Como Turbo 3.0 low step model. (I thought the low step one would be good I've got a leg that's sometimes stiff and it might be easier to get on. Part of the reason I wanted to start riding a bike again.)

So that's where I'm at. I've put about 90 miles on the bike so far. I'm starting off with little rides but working my way up. Of course the day after I got the bike the temp got up to 90 and it's been at least that every day since then. I think mother nature is mad at me.

Anyway, I'm sure I'm going to have all kinds of questions for you folks. I'm already planning on getting a rack to put on the Mazda so I can take this thing to some of the bike paths we've got nearby.
Old 06-13-21, 07:19 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,590 Times in 3,780 Posts
Welcome! Congrats on the new bike. What Mazda do you have?

Old 06-13-21, 07:23 PM
GregP74

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Welcome! Congrats on the new bike. What Mazda do you have?
I picked up a little CX-5 this spring and I'm loving it so far!
Old 06-13-21, 07:43 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,590 Times in 3,780 Posts
I'm on my second Mazda3 hatchback. Great cars.

Old 06-13-21, 07:56 PM
GregP74

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
I'm on my second Mazda3 hatchback. Great cars.
You made a good choice. I had one of those a while back and really liked it. My only problem was it was sometimes I had trouble getting in and out when my wonky knee would act up. I traded it in for a Hyundai Sonata always felt bad. That was a nice car too but I just never fell in love with it. I sold that one off this spring and got the CX5. It feels kind of like my Mazda 3 hatchback's big brother. It's not huge but that's ok. It's got enough cargo room for what I need. I sprung for the AWD model so hopefully that'll give me a little extra something in these Illinois snowstorms.
Likes For GregP74:
Old 06-16-21, 12:43 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
Welcome to the forums!
Old 06-16-21, 01:38 PM
noorul

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am new