Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Post your e.bike pictures here.

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Post your e.bike pictures here.

Old 08-15-21, 10:24 PM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Bikes: Fuji Del Rey, Bacchetta Giro 20, RANS Stratus XP XL, RANS Stratus XP XXL, RANS Stratus LE XL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert C View Post
  • throttle ( I added it, not stock, I had to replace the controller in the TSDZ2 in order to make it work)
Huh? Is there something special about that throttle as opposed to the options available with the TSDZ2? Because the half-twist throttle I got with mine seems to work fine, at least with the bike on the stand. Haven’t had a chance to take it on the road yet though, just finished the build late this evening.
Old 08-16-21, 05:12 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by andychrist View Post
Huh? Is there something special about that throttle as opposed to the options available with the TSDZ2? Because the half-twist throttle I got with mine seems to work fine, at least with the bike on the stand. Haven’t had a chance to take it on the road yet though, just finished the build late this evening.
On the earlier ones, the controller didn't support the throttle.
Old 08-16-21, 12:13 PM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Bikes: Fuji Del Rey, Bacchetta Giro 20, RANS Stratus XP XL, RANS Stratus XP XXL, RANS Stratus LE XL

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert C View Post
On the earlier ones, the controller didn't support the throttle.
Didn’t know that about the TSDZ2, thought it was the most up to date model.

So is yours also the earlier 36V?

This is my latest build with a 52V TSDZ2 OSF, plus a 48V 500W Bafang 20” front hub for both redundancy and better traction off road:

About to go out for the first test ride. Speed sensor cable plus two extensions were not quite long enough to reach the rear wheel, D’oh! Have read that the TSDZ2 actually performs better without the sensor anyway, so guess I’ll find out.
Likes For andychrist:
Old 08-16-21, 07:29 PM
cj3209

Bikes: Pinarello; Canyon

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett View Post
75 mile round trip to nicasio reservoir from SF yesterday. 3,500 feet or so climbing, used 32% of the battery even with bonking pretty hard on the way back.

Gorgeous bike! Is that class 1 or 3? Amazing that you got 75 mi. I can get that but with a battery extender.
Old 08-16-21, 07:53 PM
mschwett 
pretty much a newbie

Bikes: Turbo Creo Comp Carbon, VanMoof S3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by cj3209 View Post
Gorgeous bike! Is that class 1 or 3? Amazing that you got 75 mi. I can get that but with a battery extender.
thanks! it's class 3, although i can probably count on one hand the times i had the assist on while going over 20. i really only use the assist when climbing, or a crazy crazy headwind or something, so the range comparisons aren't quite fair. my last super long ride was 80.21 miles, 3,922' of climbing, used only 18% of the internal battery.

i'm kinda tempted to get a range extender and just set off for LA one weekend, see if i make it.
Likes For mschwett:
Old 08-16-21, 08:03 PM
cj3209

thanks! it's class 3, although i can probably count on one hand the times i had the assist on while going over 20. i really only use the assist when climbing, or a crazy crazy headwind or something, so the range comparisons aren't quite fair. my last super long ride was 80.21 miles, 3,922' of climbing, used only 18% of the internal battery.

i'm kinda tempted to get a range extender and just set off for LA one weekend, see if i make it.
SF to LA...on a bike...
WOW...

You must only turn on the motor, literally, on hills. How much does your bike weigh? I have a Class 1 road bike that weighs around 27 lbs which I consider to be very light for an eRoad bike.
Old 08-16-21, 08:17 PM
mschwett 
pretty much a newbie

SF to LA...on a bike...
WOW...

You must only turn on the motor, literally, on hills. How much does your bike weigh? I have a Class 1 road bike that weighs around 27 lbs which I consider to be very light for an eRoad bike.
yep. literally only on hills, and only on hills more than about 4% grade. sometimes i'll push through a little bit of a steeper hill for the first 50 to 100 feet of ascent, but then my heart rate gets too high or my cadence gets too low and on comes the boost, typically at 25% of my output (so say another 65w on top of 250w) unless it's really steep or i'm really gassed out, in which case i'll go to 50% or more.

when i tried to weigh it with my household scale (me holding it, me not holding it), i got 27lbs or so, but everyone tells me it must be closer to 30. i did lighten it up a bit from stock - stem, carbon cranks, speedplay pedals, seat, removed the quick releases, etc etc. i want to get one of those one piece carbon cockpits (save 160g!) and carbon wheels with lighter tubeless tires (currently running gatorskin hardshells - maybe save another 200g) and maybe take another pound off the bike.
Old 08-16-21, 08:45 PM
cj3209

yep. literally only on hills, and only on hills more than about 4% grade. sometimes i'll push through a little bit of a steeper hill for the first 50 to 100 feet of ascent, but then my heart rate gets too high or my cadence gets too low and on comes the boost, typically at 25% of my output (so say another 65w on top of 250w) unless it's really steep or i'm really gassed out, in which case i'll go to 50% or more.

when i tried to weigh it with my household scale (me holding it, me not holding it), i got 27lbs or so, but everyone tells me it must be closer to 30. i did lighten it up a bit from stock - stem, carbon cranks, speedplay pedals, seat, removed the quick releases, etc etc. i want to get one of those one piece carbon cockpits (save 160g!) and carbon wheels with lighter tubeless tires (currently running gatorskin hardshells - maybe save another 200g) and maybe take another pound off the bike.
Dang, a class 3 road eBike weighing around what my class 1 eBike weighs...I'm good with the Mahle class 1 hub motor in terms of power but definitely would like more range.
Old 08-16-21, 08:51 PM
mschwett 
pretty much a newbie

Dang, a class 3 road eBike weighing around what my class 1 eBike weighs...I'm good with the Mahle class 1 hub motor in terms of power but definitely would like more range.
the specialized SL motors are pretty much the same power as the mahle x35 system, just mid-drive. battery is only about 25% larger.... i thought class 3 would be really important for a road bike, due to higher speeds, but in practice on level ground i can go fast enough for an enjoyable ride covering a lot of ground.

one of these days i'll just put it on turbo and keep riding until the battery runs out and see how far/fast i can go!
Likes For mschwett:
Old 08-22-21, 05:42 PM
Durde_cecof

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What carrier is this?
Old 08-22-21, 06:15 PM
mschwett 
pretty much a newbie

Originally Posted by Durde_cecof View Post
What carrier is this?
thule yepp nexxt maxi frame mount.

love it, a bit bouncy by design but very adjustable and my now 3 year old is super comfy. many happy miles
Likes For mschwett:
Old 08-22-21, 06:42 PM
Durde_cecof

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thule yepp nexxt maxi frame mount.

love it, a bit bouncy by design but very adjustable and my now 3 year old is super comfy. many happy miles
Looks great on that bike. My wife got an ebike today and I just don’t think our Thule trailer will work on it, so this may be the route to go!
You’ve also got me drooling over the Specialized Creo….
Old 09-10-21, 09:08 PM
kellichou
Pedal Stompin'

Bikes: 2014 Metrofiets. 2020 Gopowerbikes GoCargo e-bike. 2007 Trek 7300. 1986 Peugeot road bike w/downtube shifters.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
My Metrofiets (Portland, OR made) box bike, with a 48V 500W pedal assist. I have a car seat anchored in there, for hauling my 50lb (23kg) 5 year old in comfort and style (we both wear helmets). It is a lot of bike--I think it's probably 9 feet (2.75m) long, but it handles surprisingly smoothly and nimbly! The car seat is latched to stainless steel bolts & locking washers in the box which are rated at 200 lb each, and a slightly lighter-weight one for the tether strap. I got the cushiest dang car seat I could find, a Maxi Cosi, which has a 65 lb. limit for the 5-point restraint, which is awesome. The seat itself goes to 85 lb, I believe, or maybe even 100lb. I have already fallen over with the kid in the box, thank Goodness I had the car seat in there tight, and her helmet of course. I scraped up the outside of the box, and the kid was unscathed, which was its job!

Our commute is 22 mi (35 km) round trip, although I usually ride unloaded in the mornings, as my wife takes the offspring to school. The kid LOVES riding in the bakfiets, which she has named "Tooter, the Lemon Sqwooter." She is downright pissed when I show up to pick her up in the car!

Because the kid is sitting in there for almost an hour at a time, I wanted the car seat to be as comfy as possible. Maybe when she ages out of that, I can look into a bench and simplified seatbelt setup. And my plan for after she doesn't want to ride in the box anymore would be a tandem! If she wanted to be stoker, that is. From what I've heard, most kiddos can ride in some traffic around age 10, which the start and finish of our commute involves, so thinking about systems as she grows is important to me.

AND, the other day I realized I had two broken spokes , so my trusty Tooter is at the local bike shop, getting the spokes fixed. If they keep breaking, I may need a sturdier wheel with a different arrangement of spokes, but we'll see.

Side view. She's a beaut! I have since fixed the obscene angle of my saddle, and yes, it is much more comfortable now.

3/4 view, showing more of the cockpit.

Last edited by kellichou; 09-10-21 at 09:13 PM. Reason: about spokes and saddle
Likes For kellichou:
Old 09-15-21, 04:12 PM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

I recently got this Priority Current for commuting. With a couple of homebuilt ebikes to compare to, I am glad I made the decision to get this one. My only criticism is that the battery is a bit small.
Old 09-15-21, 04:43 PM
2old

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 257 Posts
Great looking commuter. Did you get it through COSTCO since they (supposedly) have 20% off on Priority?
Old 09-15-21, 07:19 PM
Robert C

Originally Posted by 2old View Post
Great looking commuter. Did you get it through COSTCO since they (supposedly) have 20% off on Priority?
No, I didn't. There are no Costcos near me. However, I did use the $300 Electtek discount. I have only commuted with it for a few days now, but I am happy with the purchase.
Likes For Robert C:
Old 09-16-21, 12:14 PM
OldRailfan
Old enough, hmmm?

Bikes: DeVinci, Bianchi, Nishiki, RBSM Mud Adder

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
This is how they market it ....The RBSM SPORTS Mud Adder is a tough and rugged electr

"The RBSM SPORTS Mud Adder is a tough and rugged electric “MTB” bike designed and developed for off-road cycling adventures."

To me it is that perfect crossover, with e--drive, that is at home on anything from mild single track to pavement; more or less like my Devinci XC Sport bike.
Still fine-tuning the accessory placements, but ....

But it's getting there.

Next ride will be with SWMBO to see which of the two e-bikes gets the hill award.
Old 09-22-21, 07:21 PM
SilversSpeed

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
75 mile round trip to nicasio reservoir from SF yesterday. 3,500 feet or so climbing, used 32% of the battery even with bonking pretty hard on the way back.
Is the battery inside the frame? Looks pretty slim. Is that a solar panel or a phone I see on the handle bars?
Old 09-22-21, 09:01 PM
mschwett 
pretty much a newbie

Originally Posted by SilversSpeed View Post
Is the battery inside the frame? Looks pretty slim. Is that a solar panel or a phone I see on the handle bars?
yep battery is in the downtube. Relatively small motor and battery - 240w, 320wH battery… but makes a huge difference on the big climbs. Range is great if you don’t use it except for on the climbs hahah.

Just an iPhone (12 pro max) on the bars. I use it instead of a bike computer, bike sends power, battery, cadence, speed, etc.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.