Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Cross Country.....Cleveland done!!

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 09-16-16, 03:23 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

Once again I was a bit apprehensive about pedaling through another big city but Cleveland really was a pleasant surprise. All in all good roads and minimal traffic, especially as I got in the downtown area. My perception was Cleveland would be a broken down industrial city, but the areas I rode through were anything but that. I even enjoyed bike lanes and a brief bike path along the lake. 87 more miles today.

It was noonish as I was coming through and I was really hungry. I pedaled by tons of cafes on Madison St and really wanted to try one out. However I had arranged to meet my wife at a park along Lakeshore Dr and knew she'd have pb&j waiting for me...... It hit the spot as it always does.

Once again I used Google Maps and it directed me to a bike path that would take me most of my initial 30 miles from Norwalk to Elyria. Just as I was approaching the trailhead I passed a fella on a mountain bike. He told me that the path was gravel......he also suggested a route via roads to Elyria that was really good.

The only hiccup or surprise was a bridge that was out about 1/3 the way and the detour added too many miles. The bridge workers told me there was a foot path around the bridge down the creek. I searched for a while but never found it. But my shoes got wet and muddy walking in the creek bed. Prior to that I had a really annoying squeak on every pedal stoke due to tar being on my plastic cleat. Walking in the creek bed got rid of that. Hooray!!!

I also found another faster detour that only added a few miles......thanks to electronic mapping!! I was late meeting up with my wife in Elyria but she had been doing a lot of sightseeing so everything worked out perfectly.

Later on there was another bridge under construction along the Lake but the workers let me walk my bike across.

I was really surprised by the huge older mansions and estates bordering the lake just east of downtown. Some very nice places.

Bored you folks enough. Even with some headwinds off the lake the last 30 miles it was one of my more enjoyable days. A lot of you would have enjoyed it as well.

Bike lanes on Cleveland streets!

Crossing a bridge into downtown

Downtown

Stadium

I didn't know the HOF was right on my route!!!

My 2nd bridge that was out

Nice route!!

A 9/11 memorial

Updated status map!!

Last edited by jppe; 09-16-16 at 06:04 PM.
Old 09-16-16, 05:51 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3220 Post(s)
Liked 2,042 Times in 1,169 Posts
Please do not stop with these or make them shorter. They are true gems of the bicycling Internet.

I suspect that for years now, we will be referencing your posts for info on how Google helped, experiences thru Chicago, etc...

Great stuff that I look forward to every day.

SB
Old 09-16-16, 06:09 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Please do not stop with these or make them shorter. They are true gems of the bicycling Internet.

I suspect that for years now, we will be referencing your posts for info on how Google helped, experiences thru Chicago, etc...

Great stuff that I look forward to every day.

SB

Thanks for the very helpful feedback. There's a lot more I can share but every day there are clothes to wash, bottles to refill, stuff to recharge, routes to plan etc. Before you know it it's bedtime.
Old 09-16-16, 06:39 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Not surprised that you ran in to construction -- Cleveland has two seasons - Winter and Construction. Each lasts nine months, and those overlaps are a royal PITA!

Glad you made it through Downtown Cleveland without too much hassle. Keep up the good work!
Old 09-21-16, 12:46 PM
Speedskater

Bikes: Bob Jackson, Trek & Sampson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Your first photo is a few blocks west of where I worked a half century ago.