Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Bike route from Montreal to Maine?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-23, 08:30 AM
Maddybikes

Bikes: Road bike, touring bike, mountain bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Planning a bikepacking trip from Montreal, QC - Bar Harbor, ME - Halifax, NS at the end of June and need route options.

We have 2-3 weeks and would prefer paved/packed gravel roads. We're going to take the train to Montreal, and then work our way down to Bar Harbor and get on the ferry to Yarmouth, NS and bike to end our trip in Halifax.

We'll be camping along the way so any camping reccommendations would also be appreciated.

Would also consider alternate route options that would fit into that 2-3 week window.
Old 05-08-23, 09:59 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
Originally Posted by Maddybikes
Planning a bikepacking trip from Montreal, QC - Bar Harbor, ME - Halifax, NS at the end of June and need route options.

We have 2-3 weeks and would prefer paved/packed gravel roads. We're going to take the train to Montreal, and then work our way down to Bar Harbor and get on the ferry to Yarmouth, NS and bike to end our trip in Halifax.

We'll be camping along the way so any camping reccommendations would also be appreciated.

Would also consider alternate route options that would fit into that 2-3 week window.
I took it upon myself to let the forum moderators know that you will likely get better responses if this thread is moved to the Touring subforum.
Old 05-08-23, 11:09 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,590 Times in 3,780 Posts
Thread moved from General to Touring.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 05-08-23, 01:31 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3235 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 1,177 Posts
Just as thought not related to the route, too bad you can't do this late August or September. The bugs -mosquitos and black fly's are going to be horrific as they always are in June in Maine. That would not be my choice of season to do this and be camping.

As per route, you are going to have to cross the border at an established border crossing, so Rt 3 in NH, Rt 27 or 201 in Maine are the options for the general NW to SE direction you are traveling. There are gravel roads that could get you from NH to about Greenville, Maine, if thats a priority. GAIA GPS shows those roads. You can generally stealth camp through out the entire region, sometimes its logging company properties, but nobody out there. Note not to head east or SE of Greenville, the roads are closed logging roads.

Last edited by Steve B.; 05-08-23 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-09-23, 08:34 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts

generic Google Maps route. Seems fine to me.
Old 05-09-23, 11:33 AM
balto charlie

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
I am in the process of planning a similar route. Here is what I have done, Portland to Eaton to Bethel, then jump on the Cross New Hampshire trail, then onto the Cross Vermont trail, then used rides from Ridewith GPS to map a route to Montreal. It is a work in progress but think most of it is fairly solid. Cross NH sends out some nice maps and info if you ask. I went to Eaton to visit an old climbing buddy so you will have to change this section. Just go from Bethel to Bar Harbor

https://www.xnhat.org/
https://www.crossvermont.org/

My first RWGPS is from Portland to Burlington
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/42291773
The second part is Burlington to Montreal:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/42291791
Old 05-09-23, 02:37 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by balto charlie
I am in the process of planning a similar route. Here is what I have done, Portland to Eaton to Bethel, then jump on the Cross New Hampshire trail, then onto the Cross Vermont trail, then used rides from Ridewith GPS to map a route to Montreal. It is a work in progress but think most of it is fairly solid. Cross NH sends out some nice maps and info if you ask. I went to Eaton to visit an old climbing buddy so you will have to change this section. Just go from Bethel to Bar Harbor

https://www.xnhat.org/
https://www.crossvermont.org/

My first RWGPS is from Portland to Burlington
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/42291773
The second part is Burlington to Montreal:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/42291791
FYI…The western end of that trail to Plainfield, VT was really gnarly when I rode it last year. Very muddy after a day of heavy rain. And there is a very steep, rocky part that is obviously not on an old railroad bed. I had to get off and push up. At least going west you’ll be going down.

Stillwater State Park is a nice place to camp. I reserved a nice lean-to. There’s a trail to the right leading off the main trail will take you there. It’s pretty steep and bumpy, but rideable. The camp store in the park was not well stocked in mid-June, it also closed around 6, IIRC, so if you decide to stay there you might want to bring your own food.

While I was waiting to check in a woman in front of me was asking about hospitals. The ranger finally asked what was wrong. She said her father had chopped off the end of a finger with a hatchet.

Last edited by indyfabz; 05-09-23 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-09-23, 03:22 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
While I have not done that, I have ridden from Burlington to Montreal, and back, and ridden both the Cross Vermont and Cross New Hampshire Adventure Trail. Both of the latter have web sites. From Montreal, you can go south and cross into the US at Noyan/Alburgh. That puts you at the top of Lake Champlain. You can ride down on the islands on good roads with light traffic looking at the lake on both sides and the Adirondacks and the Greens in the distance. The ferry from the bottom of Grand Isle puts you on the Burlington Bikeway. In Burlington, you can connect to the Cross Vermont Trail which ends in Wells River, VT. That is directly across the Connecticut River from Woodsville, NH, and the beginning of the Cross New Hampshire Adventure Trail which will take you to Bethel, Maine.
Old 05-09-23, 03:25 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
From Bethel Maine I can't help you, but if I were in your shoes, I would look at the Ride with GPS routes for the Trek Across Maine which is a group ride with a slightly different route each year. That might help with your route finding.
Old 05-09-23, 03:52 PM
Djangomatic82

Bikes: 1989 Miyata 1000LT 58cm, 1993 Miayata 916 56cm, 1998 Kona Explosif 20"

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't have anything usefull to add, but good luck, that looks like a sweet adventure.
Old 05-10-23, 04:19 AM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 82 Posts
I am in the process of planning a similar route...
Charlie, When you get to Randolph NH on the Cross NH Adventure Trail you may want to follow Durand Road parallel to the trail just north of route 2. That rail trail section is rather boring following a power line on the left and highway on the right. Durand Road is pleasant and will rejoin rail trail in 6 miles at Bowman. XNH trail gets more interesting as you approach Jefferson.

From Bethel ME to Gorham NH it's real nice. Hogan Road into Gorham had a washout a few years ago. Not sure of its current condition.

Last edited by BobG; 05-10-23 at 05:55 AM.
Old 05-10-23, 02:47 PM
balto charlie

Originally Posted by indyfabz
FYI…The western end of that trail to Plainfield, VT was really gnarly when I rode it last year. Very muddy after a day of heavy rain. And there is a very steep, rocky part that is obviously not on an old railroad bed. I had to get off and push up. At least going west you’ll be going down.

Stillwater State Park is a nice place to camp. I reserved a nice lean-to. There’s a trail to the right leading off the main trail will take you there. It’s pretty steep and bumpy, but rideable. The camp store in the park was not well stocked in mid-June, it also closed around 6, IIRC, so if you decide to stay there you might want to bring your own food.

While I was waiting to check in a woman in front of me was asking about hospitals. The ranger finally asked what was wrong. She said her father had chopped off the end of a finger with a hatchet.
Thanks, very good info. Looking at the map that looks to be about 50-60 miles. Is all or most or small sections of the trail a mess. I will be heading west so thats a good thing about the downhill. I will look into Stillwater Park.
I'll leave the hatchet at home
Old 05-10-23, 02:49 PM
balto charlie

Originally Posted by BobG
Charlie, When you get to Randolph NH on the Cross NH Adventure Trail you may want to follow Durand Road parallel to the trail just north of route 2. That rail trail section is rather boring following a power line on the left and highway on the right. Durand Road is pleasant and will rejoin rail trail in 6 miles at Bowman. XNH trail gets more interesting as you approach Jefferson.

From Bethel ME to Gorham NH it's real nice. Hogan Road into Gorham had a washout a few years ago. Not sure of its current condition.

Great info, I will re-route the map. I'll try and contact XNH about the washout.
thanks
Old 05-10-23, 07:45 PM
indyfabz

Thanks, very good info. Looking at the map that looks to be about 50-60 miles. Is all or most or small sections of the trail a mess. I will be heading west so thats a good thing about the downhill. I will look into Stillwater Park.
I'll leave the hatchet at home
I went from Plainfield to Stillwater State Park then headed north on roads. Going the other direction, you will have a good grade down most of way from the side trail to Stillwater all the way to Plainfield. I was shocked by how slow it was going east. Only the section closer to Plainfield was messy. The rest that I rode was not bad surface-wise for a relatively undeveloped trail.

You can see the elevation gain at the end of this map:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/38026143
Old 05-11-23, 03:19 PM
balto charlie

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I went from Plainfield to Stillwater State Park then headed north on roads. Going the other direction, you will have a good grade down most of way from the side trail to Stillwater all the way to Plainfield. I was shocked by how slow it was going east. Only the section closer to Plainfield was messy. The rest that I rode was not bad surface-wise for a relatively undeveloped trail.

You can see the elevation gain at the end of this map:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/38026143

indyfabz
Old 05-11-23, 03:20 PM
balto charlie

My bad, meant Thanks indyfabz