Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Show your Trek Multitrack!

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Show your Trek Multitrack!

Old 07-05-17, 07:40 AM
sh00k

Bikes: 2011 Trek FX 7.3 | 2015 Trek FX 7.4 | Lotus Classique

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
love this thread and love the "vintage" multitrack look... i want to pick one up but my other 4 bikes aren't ridden as much as i'd like so it would be a waste
Old 07-05-17, 04:59 PM
mickw

Bikes: 2016 Giant Roam 3 , 2001 Trek 700 Multitrack , 2017 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK , here's a few pics of the trekking bars.

[url=https://postimage.org][/url

Yeah , I put a rag over the mirror (some things you can't un-see).
The quill stem is 75mm from the top nut to the pivot , the stem is set at 35 degrees , the stem length is 110mm.
As far as I know , it is a stock 2001 model stem.
As to the weight question , I don't really know , it seems to be about the same (stripped) as my 2016 roam 3 give or take a pound.
Any mountain bike setup will fit the trekking bars , usually the cables will be a bit too long when installed.
The cheap mirror actually works for me in all hand positions (kinda weird) but I like it.
The bars are XLC off of ebay , about $18.00 when I bought them , they are very light bars.
Mick
Old 07-05-17, 06:00 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Mick, I love the pics; thank you! My 750 has a fixed stem that's fairly low, but 120mm long. I have a generic black adjustable stem (probably Promax or something) off a salvage bike that I plan to use to test the fit and find the best position for me. I have it on my 750 now, but my cables are too short at the moment to raise it up much, and I figured that I'd wait to do new cables until after I get my trekking bar setup. I ultimately want to go back to a silver/anodized stem color like what came stock on these, once I find the right fit.

I don't recognize your shifters/brake levers. They look to be a combination twist shift/brake lever from Shimano? Interesting.

I have EF51 triggers on mine, but most folks with trekking bars seem to use twist shifters. I do like how low profile they look.
Old 07-06-17, 05:47 PM
fire

Bikes: '09 Diamondback Insight 1, '05 Trek 3700 ( now a hybrid street/cross trail bike), (Vintage model) Kent Supreme 10 speed road cruiser, BMX (just for fun), Trek Multitrack 720 and a homebuilt recumbent low-rider.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sh00k
love this thread and love the "vintage" multitrack look... i want to pick one up but my other 4 bikes aren't ridden as much as i'd like so it would be a waste
I respectfully disagree, it wouldn't be a waste at all considering all the enjoyment you'd get from having one. 😉 You should just look on Craigslist or at the yard sales and auctions until you find one cheap enough, and then it becomes a stablemate to your others.... I'm speaking from personal experience of course. 😎
My wife rides mine much more than me, in fact I tell her that she has joint custody of the 720.
Old 07-07-17, 08:24 AM
sh00k

Bikes: 2011 Trek FX 7.3 | 2015 Trek FX 7.4 | Lotus Classique

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by fire
I respectfully disagree, it wouldn't be a waste at all considering all the enjoyment you'd get from having one. 😉 You should just look on Craigslist or at the yard sales and auctions until you find one cheap enough, and then it becomes a stablemate to your others.... I'm speaking from personal experience of course. 😎
My wife rides mine much more than me, in fact I tell her that she has joint custody of the 720.
lol that's awesome. it's nice to have someone that appreciates the vintage ride(s) as much as you do
Old 07-07-17, 08:11 PM
Wharf Rat

Bikes: Miyata 610, Miyata 710, Cannondale SM500

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Here's mine I just got about a week ago. 1990 23" version. I swapped out the straight bars for some northroad style ones. Rides really nice. Shifters and deraileurs were changed at some point, but they work fine. Should make a great fishing/beach/neighborhood bike.

Last edited by Wharf Rat; 07-07-17 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Add pic
Old 07-07-17, 08:26 PM
rhenry01

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Rockhopper, '91 Trek 700 M-T, '93 Trek 720 M-T, '93 Cannondale M500

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat
Should make a great fishing/beach/neighborhood bike.
Yes they do!

Very nice bike
Old 07-08-17, 04:28 PM
sarahbruce

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Here's mine I just got about a week ago. 1990 23" version. I swapped out the straight bars for some northroad style ones. Rides really nice. Shifters and deraileurs were changed at some point, but they work fine. Should make a great fishing/beach/neighborhood bike.
Wow, that is a big one! Nice ride, those handlebars look right at home!
Bruce
Old 07-10-17, 04:23 PM
rubiconazoid
post tenebras lux

Bikes: Trek 720, Centurion Accordo, Gary Fisher Mamba

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I could not get a pic of my own bike to load (too big), but it looks like this one with the exception of seat upgrade, ergo grips and a computer up front. (My seat sits up quite a bit higher than this one too, and it's in much better shape.
I bought it new in 1990 and it's been bulletproof. Call it my go to bike for running errands, fitness, and just riding.
It probably has about 6K miles on it with no problems, just a couple of tire swap outs due to wear.
It doesn't get very good reviews if you do an online search, but the frame is solid, and the SunTour shifters have never given a minutes trouble, and neither have the brakes. It's never seen any bad weather, no signs of rust, and no gear issues.
Remember when I got it the salesman said it was a "crossterrain" bike. Had a lot of good times on this bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
trek720.jpg (98.5 KB, 2694 views)
Old 07-11-17, 05:29 AM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by rubiconazoid
Remember when I got it the salesman said it was a "crossterrain" bike. Had a lot of good times on this bike.
I think Bianchi is generally credited with the "first real hybrid" as we know it today in the mid-80s, but Trek's MultiTrack line probably helped tremendously to popularize the "hybrid" genre. It's the closest thing they had at the time to a "cross terrain" design -- with road frame geometry and road sized wheels combined with tires with a little tread on them and mountain type flat/riser bars and a mountain group set.

I think these are the earlier cousins of today's FX bikes and similar (though, technically, the MultiTrack line moved "comfort" and turned into today's Verve). Today's FX uses more or less a road frame geometry with mountain bars and a mountain group set.

Nice 720!
Old 07-18-17, 09:34 AM
sarahbruce

I added a Sunlite rack and Wald 137 basket to the front! My $2 thrift store find camera bag fits perfectly and even has straps to hold it securely to the basket. Did a sort of "test run" this morning with all the bags I would use for a trip or overnight, but only about 2/3 of the actual "gear" inside them. Everything performed wonderfully on a 21mile mix of road/singletrack!
Bruce

This is a view of the "cockpit" I am running now. I am really happy with the setup!
(pic has been temporarily missplaced)

Last edited by sarahbruce; 11-09-18 at 09:18 AM.
Likes For sarahbruce:
Old 07-18-17, 12:45 PM
rhenry01

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Rockhopper, '91 Trek 700 M-T, '93 Trek 720 M-T, '93 Cannondale M500

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Maiden Voyage

Here is the Trek 700 M-T out on our Maiden Voyage. I rode it up to the local elementary school to help my granddaughter learn to ride her bike!

Old 07-18-17, 03:47 PM
sarahbruce

Originally Posted by rhenry01
Here is the Trek 700 M-T out on our Maiden Voyage. I rode it up to the local elementary school to help my granddaughter learn to ride her bike!
Really nice! I can't believe how big those brifters look though, they must be comfortable atleast !
Bruce
Old 07-19-17, 05:54 AM
hokiefyd 

Nice 700! Is that a 2x10 drivetrain? Very clean!
Old 07-19-17, 09:03 AM
timgriffin2

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Sirrus 3.0

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 32 Posts
[QUOTE=sarahbruce;19727262]I added a Velo Orange rack and Wald 137 basket to the front! My $2 thrift store find camera bag fits perfectly and even has straps to hold it securely to the basket. Did a sort of "test run" this morning with all the bags I would use for a trip or overnight, but only about 2/3 of the actual "gear" inside them. Everything performed wonderfully on a 21mile mix of road/singletrack!
Bruce

That's a very nice setup there! I wish that I had the setup you have to work on a bike (well - and the skills too) to get it dialed into what I want/need. I have a 2007 Trek 7.2FX and it has a really harsh ride. My hands tend to go numb after a several miles, so I added Ergon grips. They didn't help much so I added some bar ends and put my original Trek grips onto them along with the Ergons. That does help with the numbness but nothing I've tried helps with the stiff ride. I've tried letting air out of the tires too. I'm contemplating whether to put my money toward a new or used bike that better suits me - or to keep trying to make the 7,2FX work for me.
I live NW of Tampa and ride mostly paved trails, but just getting to Starkey Park is a rough ride with the sidewalk to road to sidewalk transitions. Plus there are some nice non-paved trails in the park now for bikes that I'd like to give a go at but the 7.2 FX seems to not be the proper bike for that. Starkey Park and the adjoining property are about 16,000 acres so lots to explore there.
I love your camera bag setup and am planning on copying you in the near future as I also love nature photography so combining the 2 hobbies seems perfect!
Old 07-19-17, 09:43 AM
sarahbruce

[QUOTE=timgriffin2;19729561]
Originally Posted by sarahbruce
That's a very nice setup there! I wish that I had the setup you have to work on a bike (well - and the skills too) to get it dialed into what I want/need. I have a 2007 Trek 7.2FX and it has a really harsh ride. My hands tend to go numb after a several miles, so I added Ergon grips. They didn't help much so I added some bar ends and put my original Trek grips onto them along with the Ergons. That does help with the numbness but nothing I've tried helps with the stiff ride. I've tried letting air out of the tires too. I'm contemplating whether to put my money toward a new or used bike that better suits me - or to keep trying to make the 7,2FX work for me.
I live NW of Tampa and ride mostly paved trails, but just getting to Starkey Park is a rough ride with the sidewalk to road to sidewalk transitions. Plus there are some nice non-paved trails in the park now for bikes that I'd like to give a go at but the 7.2 FX seems to not be the proper bike for that. Starkey Park and the adjoining property are about 16,000 acres so lots to explore there.
I love your camera bag setup and am planning on copying you in the near future as I also love nature photography so combining the 2 hobbies seems perfect!
Thanks for all the compliments! I wish you lived a little closer, as I feel we could get you setup correctly with a little time and hands on diagnosing. I don't know if you have any clearance for larger tires, but that would be my first suggestion. A good quality, wide and supple tire, will make a huge difference in ride compliance and comfort. I also am not a big fan of ergon grips, but I know many are. I like a more squishy grip that takes out a bunch of vibrations. There is also a good chance that a high rise stem would help you out tremendously! Getting the handlebars even a little higher can help shift weight off of your hands. If you want to private message me some detailed pics of your bike, I would be more than happy to take a look and possibly make some suggestions.
Bruce
Old 07-19-17, 10:56 AM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by timgriffin2
I have a 2007 Trek 7.2FX and it has a really harsh ride. My hands tend to go numb after a several miles, so I added Ergon grips. They didn't help much so I added some bar ends and put my original Trek grips onto them along with the Ergons. That does help with the numbness but nothing I've tried helps with the stiff ride. I've tried letting air out of the tires too. I'm contemplating whether to put my money toward a new or used bike that better suits me - or to keep trying to make the 7,2FX work for me.
The FX is what I call a "performance" hybrid -- it's really more of a road bike with a flat handlebar instead of a drop bar. It has an aluminum frame with either a steel or an aluminum fork. This setup is generally going to be among the stiffest combinations on a mass-market bike -- aluminum frames and forks are generally stiff and relatively non-compliant. My daughter has a Raleigh Alysa, which is Raleigh's version of a Trek FX, and it's a firm ride for sure. Even with 35mm tires on it, it's a firm ride. I have a Trek Verve with a suspension fork. COMPLETELY different ride. Though it has an aluminum frame, the suspension fork takes a tremendous amount of impact harshness out of the handlebar area. I also have a Trek MultiTrack like the others in this thread. The chromoly steel frame and fork are relatively "soft" in terms of ride compliance (there is a lot of "give"), and the MultiTrack honestly rides more like my sprung Verve than a rigid Alysa or FX.

Regarding your riding position and cockpit setup, the FX has a relatively aggressive riding position. Your saddle is probably about level with your handlebar, and a lot of your weight is probably perched on top of your wrists. This type of riding position is advantageous for fitness and speed, but is often less comfortable for riders who don't have as high of a fitness level or who may not have good riding posture. I can say that because I suffer from the same issue. I'm about 235 pounds, and I don't have a ton of core muscle strength to keep my weight from resting on my wrists when in this type of riding position. Like many, I tried Ergon grips, and I find them to be comfortable grips as far as how my hand can grasp the handlebar, but I don't find them to be cures for wrist or hand pain. As @sarahbruce noted, they're not made of soft material, and they don't really absorb impact harshness. Softer grips can improve things there. As an example, look at Oury grips. These are actually relatively thick grips and feel just a bit like jelly. They can feel odd at first, but I find them (and grips of that type) to be comfortable.

You can raise your handlebar height by using either a taller stem (the piece that connects your handlebar to the fork) or an adjustable stem. Your stem right now is likely pretty flat -- that is, it probably doesn't angle up or down too much. You can get a stem with more angle to it, which will raise the bar higher. This will take some weight off your wrists and hands. But it will also transfer some weight to your saddle, and firm saddles that feel fine with a lower riding position sometimes don't feel comfortable with a more upright riding position. There's a balance that you have to find that suits your own body and anatomy. Another option is using a different type of bar. Here are two threads that show two alternative types of bars (scroll to the end/last page of each to see the most recent updates).

https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bic...fort-bike.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bic...rek-750-a.html

Another alternative is keeping your FX on the side for a bit, and buying a used (or new) bike that has a more upright position. Something like a Trek Verve might suit your riding position preference better. If looking used at bikes from the same era as your FX, the MultiTrack 7000-series bikes might be a good option. My wife has a 2006 7100 MultiTrack with a step-through frame. They certainly made traditional frame styles also, but it's the same concept as what the Verve is today. They have aluminum frames, but often have suspension forks and a more upright riding position. Looking older, the MultiTracks in this thread are from the 1990s, and are very durable and high quality bikes with chromoly steel frames. You could find either type (2000s MultiTrack or 1990s MultiTrack) in the neighborhood of $50-150 depending on condition and other variables. You could quickly spend that much on grips and bars for your FX, so a second bike is something to think about.

Last edited by hokiefyd; 07-19-17 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-20-17, 09:27 AM
rhenry01

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sarahbruce
Really nice! I can't believe how big those brifters look though, they must be comfortable atleast !
Bruce
I am still toying around with the handlebar position. I have them in this position right now as it seemed like a good place to have the hoods should I need to stand to go up a steep hill. I'll probably change them.
Old 07-20-17, 09:28 AM
rhenry01

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Nice 700! Is that a 2x10 drivetrain? Very clean!
Yes, 2X10 Shimano 105 with Tiagra shifters, sram 11-34 cassette and avid shorty ultimate ultimate canti brakes.
Old 07-20-17, 02:36 PM
Wharf Rat

Bikes: Miyata 610, Miyata 710, Cannondale SM500

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Hey Sarahbruce, what tires are those?
Thanks
Old 07-20-17, 07:03 PM
sarahbruce

Hey Sarahbruce, what tires are those?
Thanks
Geax Evolutions- They have mixed reviews, but i like them so far. I only have a couple hundred miles on them though. I am pretty sure I bought them from Nashbar and they were closed out priced for like $11 a piece. That was some time last year, before I even purchased the Trek 720.
Bruce
Old 07-25-17, 01:09 PM
rhenry01

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Complete!

So here is the '91 Trek 700 Multi-Track. Before I go on a serious ride I need to double-check all the bolts to make sure they are tight. It took me about three or four months to go from shabby to sleek. Since most of the trails that I ride are flat and rather sandy I really don't have to worry about rocks and roots. This will make a great bike to ride those trails with my beginner MTB friends.

Components:
Shimano Tiagra 4600 STi shifters
Shimano CX-50 Crankset
Shimano Ultegra crank bearing set
Shimano 105 5700 FD
Shimano 105 5700 RD
Shimano R500 Wheelset
Schwalbe CX Comp tires
Wolf Tooth Roadlink rear derailleur extender
SRAM Avid Shorty Ultimate Brakes
Specialized Avatar saddle
Specialized drop handlebars
Specialized 90mm stem
Jagwire Road Pro Complete cable set
Origin8 front brake stop
SRAM handlebar tape

Likes For rhenry01:
Old 07-26-17, 07:39 AM
Teengenerate

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rhenry01
So here is the '91 Trek 700 Multi-Track.
Killer work
Old 07-26-17, 07:41 AM
Teengenerate

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here is my new 1998 Trek Multitrack 720. I already have it in the shop to switch the grip shifters to triggers. I want to do something with the stem but haven't figured out what yet.

Likes For Teengenerate:
Old 07-26-17, 11:46 AM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by Teengenerate
Killer work
Yeah, that's definitely top work! Great looking ride.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.