Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Thick slicks white color

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Thick slicks white color

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-23, 07:34 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Thick slicks white color

Thick slicks come in white looking to get 28's but curious about how they may wear differently and will they turn black and dirty quickly.
anyone ever use.

This is my bike
Old 02-27-23, 08:19 AM
TugaDude

Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
I found this photo. The contact surface looks pretty black to me. Shame they don't just offer whitewalls because then the contact surface would already be black.

I would think they'll look pretty dingy unless you are anal about cleaning them after every ride.
Old 02-27-23, 08:56 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4231 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
Originally Posted by TugaDude
I found this photo. The contact surface looks pretty black to me. Shame they don't just offer whitewalls because then the contact surface would already be black.

I would think they'll look pretty dingy unless you are anal about cleaning them after every ride.
My first thought at seeing that bike (before seeing the front half) was, "why the **** would anyone want to ride a ghost bike?"
Likes For himespau:
Old 02-27-23, 12:32 PM
TugaDude

I'm reminded of the time I went into my LBS and the owner, a super cool guy, waited on me. We were discussing one of his personal bikes that he had built up with some really unique parts when I suddenly remembered I needed some bar tape. I asked for white and he gave me the stink eye, went behind the counter and returned with black. He said there's no way he'd allow a friend to buy white bar tape. I guess he had a point. It ends up looking pretty bad pretty fast. Looks great when new though!
Old 02-27-23, 07:21 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
I've been looking for a set of white Thickslicks to replace the current tires. They do show dirt more but the black tires I mounted just didn't look right.
The white seat and grips also get a little dirty but Mr Clean magic eraser does wonders......
Likes For Speedway2:
Old 02-27-23, 08:37 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Originally Posted by Speedway2
I've been looking for a set of white Thickslicks to replace the current tires. They do show dirt more but the black tires I mounted just didn't look right.
The white seat and grips also get a little dirty but Mr Clean magic eraser does wonders......
nice....i like the look. But the extra work to keep clean could be an issue...
Old 02-28-23, 08:58 AM
TugaDude

I want to make sure I'm clear that I'm not disparaging the use of white or any components on bikes, just pointing out the fact that white gets dirty. I love the look of Speedway2's bike and he is apparently willing to do what it takes to keep it looking good. I wouldn't have the time nor the inclination probably.

I do have one bike with white bar tape so I have some actual experience with how it holds up. I just don't tell my bike shop friend.
Old 02-28-23, 09:12 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4231 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
I also have a bike with white tape and hoods. For a long time, it was my trainer bike, so it staying white wasn't a problem. Then I wore some new gloves on it that hadn't been washed yet and the dye on the hands bled (I sweat a lot on the trainer) on the tape and the hoods. Shortly after that (for completely unrelated reasons - I built up a Ti frame and I decided to make that my indoor bike as corrosion would be less of a concern than on steel), it became an outdoor bike and the white got even less pristine.
Old 02-28-23, 07:09 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
I basically ride the Roll2 on paved paths and during "nice weather days" so it doesn't really get too dirty.
A quick wipe down after most rides is all I really do and I clean the seat/grips with Magic erase maybe twice a riding season.

However, the white leather toe-clip straps seem to get just as dirty as the tires......
Old 02-28-23, 07:37 PM
thehammerdog

Originally Posted by TugaDude
I want to make sure I'm clear that I'm not disparaging the use of white or any components on bikes, just pointing out the fact that white gets dirty. I love the look of Speedway2's bike and he is apparently willing to do what it takes to keep it looking good. I wouldn't have the time nor the inclination probably.

I do have one bike with white bar tape so I have some actual experience with how it holds up. I just don't tell my bike shop friend.

Pretty but i do worry the wrap will get nasty quickly
Old 02-28-23, 08:19 PM
TugaDude

Originally Posted by thehammerdog

Pretty but i do worry the wrap will get nasty quickly
Looks like a nice ride! If it were me, I'd probably wear gloves when riding if it doesn't bother you. At least that might keep the sweat off of the wrap.
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 03-02-23, 12:32 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,981 Times in 2,661 Posts
In this case better tires trump looks. Though with proper open tubular tires you can get good looks and good performance. They get dirty super easy but they ride like no other. Soft and supple baby. Though for urban fixed gear I would stick with the old tried and true Gatorskins or All Con Armadillo Elites if I prefer Spesh tires or would go with Vittoria graphene tires probably Rubino Pros or Corsa N.EXT because I really like the graphene it seems to grip well.