Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Going Lighter on Tour

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Going Lighter on Tour

Old 05-03-23, 10:11 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
There are exceptions

I can't figure that out, is that a frame pack? I do not see an aluminum frame, but some aspects to the pack look like the packs we carried 40 years ago. I always tried to strap my tent on top of the pack or inside it near the top, but it looks like it is strapped on where there often was a crampon leather patch, if that is a frame pack.

In my part of USA red flags like that are used to mark where power lines are buried, so when you excavate you can miss cutting a power cable that was marked with paint and those red flags. Whomever is walking on a glacier, I doubt that they are marking electric line locations.
Old 05-03-23, 05:31 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
A little OT. It is an internal frame pack( aluminum stays), and weighs about 60 lbs as loaded. The pack is large! It seems to me that it has about a 6000+ cu. in. capacity. The yellow bag on the lower-back of the pack is a 60 meter rope (about 10 lbs). My sleeping bag fits into the bottom of the pack.

The "red flags" are route marking wands used for glacier travel. They are about 3 feet long, 1/4" diameter bamboo poles. I added the bright orange flags to differentiate our wands from other parties' wands. They are also more visible in bad conditions.

The pack weighs a lot less once camp was set up.

Last edited by Doug64; 05-03-23 at 06:55 PM.
Old 05-04-23, 03:15 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
A little OT. It is an internal frame pack( aluminum stays), and weighs about 60 lbs as loaded. The pack is large! It seems to me that it has about a 6000+ cu. in. capacity. The yellow bag on the lower-back of the pack is a 60 meter rope (about 10 lbs). My sleeping bag fits into the bottom of the pack.

The "red flags" are route marking wands used for glacier travel. They are about 3 feet long, 1/4" diameter bamboo poles. I added the bright orange flags to differentiate our wands from other parties' wands. They are also more visible in bad conditions.
The pack weighs a lot less once camp was set up.
Thanks for the clarification.

6000 cubic inches would be about 98 liters.

For decades I used a 115 liter Seal Line Pro Pack for canoe trips on or near the Minnesota Canadian border on trips that were a week and a half long. But the longest we might have to carry a pack in any one day was only rarely more than a half mile. Most of the distance was paddling, not backpacking.
Old 05-04-23, 09:49 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
I've seen some AT ultralighters with 10,9, even 8lb base weights and 25L or smaller backpacks. You actually don't need a lot of volume for bike touring/bike packing if resupply is easy and you use cages for your water bottles. I get by with a 15L saddlebag and a 7L handlebar bag, but I can expand the saddlebag if necessary and carry a nylon backpack for off bike and emergency extra volume ie carrying beer for short distances.
Likes For nun: