Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Building a "Path Racer" From My Raleigh Sports With a Couple of Questions

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 05-04-23, 05:32 PM
Nokton

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 23 Posts

I have resumed some long-neglected bike projects and at the top of the list is changing my Malaysian-built Raleigh Sports from a run-of-the-mill Sports to a pseudo-path racer. I'm not planning huge changes to this bike, just removing the fenders, flipping the handlebars, getting a new saddle (probably a black Brooks, but I'm not sure of the model and am open to other suggestions), and installing some cream-colored Delta Cruiser tires.

Here's the bike in the state that I acquired it a few years back:

My first question concerns the chainguard. It is held on with two brazed-on tabs that I'm concerned about leaving with nothing covering them. I can't think of a clean way to remove them and I don't think I'd want to even if I could. I'd prefer not making any irreversible changes like frame alterations.

Here's what I have:

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do with these other than leaving the chainguard in place or leaving the "tabs" bare?

Next, there are two, apparently paper-based, bold stripes on the seat tube that I want to remove. Any thoughts about this?

Finally, I'd like to see any suggestions for grips, saddle, and how to carry a water bottle and spare inner tube on a stripped-down bike like a "path racer" (and, yes, I'm aware of the debate concerning this term). Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Oh, yeah, I'm going to remove the center stand from this bike, too
Old 05-28-23, 03:51 PM
Nokton

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 23 Posts
I have more or less finished this build. I ended up going with a chain guard since I couldn't think of anything "good" to do with the brazed-on tabs. I'm still trying to figure out what to do about a water bottle cage, maybe just keep it in a saddlebag. It does have some teething problems, like most new builds do, but it's a fun ride and was a fun build.

Here's what I ended up with:

Likes For Nokton:
Old 05-28-23, 04:03 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3860 Post(s)
Liked 6,450 Times in 3,190 Posts
I use the bottle cage clamps provided by VO:

https://velo-orange.com/products/bottle-cage-clamp

A couple simple ways to mount these without damaging the bike's finish:

- File the clamp edges.
- Temporarily tape them in place with masking tape, so they don't move around while you're tightening the bolts.

Another option on really old bikes like yours is to use a handlebar clamp for the bottle cage. I think that looks really good. And, of course, use an appropriate looking bottle.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 05-28-23, 04:15 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5887 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 2,079 Posts
The bike looks sharp; nice project.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 05-28-23, 05:19 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3802 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
-----

you ask about carrying a spare tube

one convenient and tidy way to do this is with the aid of a Vittoria Fulmine or Zeus under seat carrier

your spare tube, tyre levers and patch kit can be placed into a plastic bag and put into the Fulmine

-----
Likes For juvela: