Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

I HATE when cyclists stop cars with a green light

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.
View Poll Results: If a car has a green light should you cross in front of them, even if waved to go?
No
72.41%
Yes
27.59%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

I HATE when cyclists stop cars with a green light

Old 05-27-23, 09:03 PM
rc5781

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
JUST keep things flowing is my philosophy and is often times the safest way...
Old 05-27-23, 09:03 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,346 Posts
Originally Posted by rc5781
So let's summarize what I believe and have been incessantly attacked about on this thread.

1. Cars with a green light should assume they should keep moving forward unless there is an emergency.

2. You should not stop traffic behind you while attempting to make a U-turn at a green left arrow.
Therein lies the problem.

Had you said the first, and only that, the thread would have ended long ago.

BUT

YOU confuse SHOULD with must. Then presume that anyone using legal discretion is a moron or outlaw.

Going back to the initial premise, you object to the actions of cyclists who willingly accept an unsolicited courtesy, and imply that they are wrong to do so.

Rather than logically debate that point, and accept that there's room for disagreement, you veer off into countless situations positing your own opinions as law.

So. Yes, one needn't, or maybe even shouldn't (already a bit of a stretch) stop when they have the right of way. BUT THAT IN NO WAY IMPLIES THAT THEY CAN'T, nor does it imply that anyone accepting that courtesy is somehow encouraging bad driving.

After all this nonsense about right, left and U turns you now try to make everyone else rhe problem.

IS THAT SPECIFIC ENOUGH?

Last edited by FBinNY; 05-27-23 at 09:19 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 05-27-23, 09:07 PM
rc5781

Just keep things flowing...
Old 05-27-23, 09:16 PM
rc5781

JUST let traffic FLOW...
Old 05-27-23, 09:16 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4839 Post(s)
Liked 7,830 Times in 3,710 Posts
JUST keep things flowing is my philosophy and is often times the safest way...
“Often times” acknowledges there are exceptions. People have given examples of exceptions, and you’ve maintained an extreme position of yes/no. The world doesn’t work the same way for everyone. It’s fine to share your experiences and opinions, but things can be learned from those who have different experiences and opinions. That’s one of the ways we grow.
Old 05-27-23, 09:17 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
....so seriously, what's this thread about ?

Hold the phone folks. Gotta make a popcorn run. I'm really going through it right now.
Likes For JoeyBike:
Old 05-27-23, 09:25 PM
rc5781

Smooth, smooth, smooth...that's my style...let it flow...
Old 05-27-23, 09:31 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

SO...you're ok with a car stopping traffic with a green left arrow, just because they're trying to make a U-turn?
Your plan…I’m wanting to make a u-turn, but in my intended path of travel, there is someone making a right turn that I would need to wait for before I continue. Because I don’t want to delay the car(s) behind me, I just make a left turn, not a u-turn.

However, on my new path, I have to drive drive more than an extra mile before I can return to the route that takes me to my destination.

Why is my minutes of inconvenience worth less that the seconds of inconvenience I might have caused the car(s) behind me where I wanted to make a legal u-turn?

Last edited by Eric F; 05-28-23 at 03:38 PM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 05-27-23, 09:31 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Smooth, smooth, smooth...that's my style...let it flow...
Not on BF.
Old 05-27-23, 10:10 PM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 106 Posts
Often the right turners opposite of you have a green right turn arrow. Also, you're supposed to "yield" to oncoming right turn traffic. If you are "yielding" to oncoming right turn traffic, you're preventing cars behind you with a green left arrow from proceeding because you're trying to make a u-turn at a traffic light.
It's completely irrelevant at this point, but I can say that in 20+ years of driving I don't remember ever once encountering this, EXCEPT where U turns are expressly prohibited. If there's actually an intersection in your area where U turns are permitted and green arrows are simultaneously being given to left & U turners as well as right turners on their left, you should work with the city to correct this unsafe situation. Can we go back to talking about bikes now?
Old 05-28-23, 04:01 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Often the right turners opposite of you have a green right turn arrow. Also, you're supposed to "yield" to oncoming right turn traffic. If you are "yielding" to oncoming right turn traffic, you're preventing cars behind you with a green left arrow from proceeding because you're trying to make a u-turn at a traffic light.

We can add traffic signalling to the list of things you don't know about. I don't remember the last time I ever saw a right turn arrow. Also, by this logic, you should never take a left turn on a two lane road because you might delay traffic behind you waiting for the opposite lane to clear. News flash--I have to wait for drivers doing this regularly, reasonable patience is a driving skill.

U turns are generally performed from a left turn lane. If the opposing lanes are not clear for a u turn, there's no way they're clear for a left turn. The car behind me couldn't go anywhere either way.

You obviously have a list of poorly thought-out pet peeves.
Old 05-28-23, 04:10 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

So let's summarize what I believe and have been incessantly attacked about on this thread.

1. Cars with a green light should assume they should keep moving forward unless there is an emergency.

2. You should not stop traffic behind you while attempting to make a U-turn at a green left arrow.

1. This is not a driving forum, the question you posed was how the cyclist should respond when the driver DOES NOT do this. Did you even read your own poll question?

2. This is not a driving forum, and this is a stupid point because the u turn does not delay traffic any more than a left turn. Should drivers never turn left?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-28-23, 05:05 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Ever wonder why the same people even though you have addressed them in no way, keep coming back on your thread to harass you without making any point, and somehow blame you for their miserable existence?

Ever notice that people ARE refuting everything you say point by point and your only response is to insult them, play victim, and add just another silly assertion? Look at the title of this thread, virtually none of this thread discusses the supposed topic. Now we're on to drivers and u turns? Why?
Old 05-28-23, 02:45 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
I saw this today and said something to the cyclists. If NO cars are coming, fine, cross the crosswalk. If cars are approaching you can't stop traffic that has a green light.
I voted "no," not because I don't want to stop car traffic, but because one driver waving me to go doesn't mean others follow suit. Other drivers may well not see the interaction and try to drive around that kind person, which will endanger me.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 05-28-23, 03:42 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I don't remember the last time I ever saw a right turn arrow.
We have multiple examples of them in my area.
Old 05-28-23, 04:38 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 591 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
We have multiple examples of them in my area.
Right turn arrows are pretty standard at any moderate/high traffic area in cities in Quebec. Not used as much here in Ontario, but there are some.
Old 05-28-23, 06:46 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
Right turn arrows are pretty standard at any moderate/high traffic area in cities in Quebec. Not used as much here in Ontario, but there are some.
They are very common in the Seattle area, too. What's confusing here is that turning on red is still permitted on a red right-turn arrow.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 05-28-23, 08:16 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
Despite OP's twists and turns, this thread really has become . I'm confident OP can soon come up with a new bizarro for our entertainment.
Old 05-28-23, 08:52 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 2,278 Times in 1,100 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I'm confident OP can soon come up with a new bizarro for our entertainment.
I don't know. I'd think there has to be a limit to ambiguous subjects that he thinks are black and white and that the whole world should hold the same opinions as him or they are wrong.

Old 05-28-23, 09:03 PM
rc5781

Let's move the needle and talk about things you do as a cyclist that prevents or deters accidents. Here's one of my favorites: "The Fake Right Turn". If I see a car ahead of me attempting to make a turn onto the street I'm traveling on, I often signal that I'm turning right to let the car know they can move forward (especially if that "car" is a truck, school bus, ups or amazon or fedex driver). After they turn I keep going straight. If the car doesn't make a right because of traffic behind me or whatever reason, I do in fact make the right turn and continue until I am able to go behind all visible traffic, U-turn, and make a right turn onto my original path.

Caveats: I'm a solo rider, riding a mountain bike

BTW, based on current poll results, I'm "winning"...

Last edited by rc5781; 05-28-23 at 09:09 PM.
Old 05-28-23, 09:39 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
BTW, based on current poll results, I'm "winning"...
Dude (in a non-gendered sense of the word even though it has strong male connotations) you are losing and not because you are being attacked or anything like that. You are losing because you have made the choice to lose, you have decided to go after the people who agreed with you and turned everyone against you each and every time. You are trying to play the victim card like it is every single card in your deck. You are getting mad about things that don't make sense, like the recent why are people responding to me right before I go to bed, on a global forum with people in all different time zones who don't know where you live or are running on different schedules than you. You are just being so toxic when there is no need for it at all. If you don't understand something don't get angry and stomp about, just ask for clarification or move on from it don't just misinterpret what others are saying or just not understand and fly of the dang rails it isn't helpful to anyone but especially yourself.

Like I said previously take a break and figure out something that makes you happy and clears your head and if you want to remain on this forum which you kind of are making the case to us you don't find a different thread and a different attitude and learn to accept people agreeing with you without attacking them or playing the victim card. Just have a normal conversation. Maybe just read some other threads and see how they go and try and be a little more calm and understanding or just find a different place on the internet.

Truly know I am not attacking you I could be mean and nasty and certainly your behavior here especially in the past or in public would probably have thrown me into that mode, I am trying my darnedest to be a more understanding and positive person and I am not perfect and don't claim to be (at least not seriously) but I recommend you try having a more Positive Mental Attitude. Cro-Mags lead singer and Triathlete John Josephs is a proponent of it and I think it is actually quite helpful. He gets his "rage" out while singing good ole' NYHC and you need to find your release maybe it is not being the lead singer in one of the finest New York Hardcore bands but there is probably something. For me it can be going to the range or a nice bike ride or playing Diablo III.

Life is too short to plow your train into others. Stay on the rails and see the rest of the country it is beautiful sometimes and ugly other times but you have to learn to sometimes filter out the ugly or find a CONSTRUCTIVE way to deal with it rather than just saying full speed let's get this baby off the rails and see what we can hit.
Old 05-28-23, 09:51 PM
rc5781

veganbikes

Didn't read your long winded rant against me but I'm sure it wasn't anything about advocating safety for cyclists...
Old 05-28-23, 11:15 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,346 Posts
Let's move the needle and talk about things you do as a cyclist.......
Here's one of my favorites: "The Fake Right Turn". If I see a car ahead of me attempting to make a turn onto the street I'm traveling on, I often signal that I'm turning right to let the car know they can move forward (especially if that "car" is a truck, school bus, ups or amazon or fedex driver). After they turn I keep going straight. If the car doesn't make a right because of traffic behind me or whatever reason, I do in fact make the right turn and continue until I am able to go behind all visible traffic, U-turn, and make a right turn onto my original path.......
This is.BRILLIANT. I can't believe I didn't think of it myself despite having roughly 250k road miles experience over 55+yrs.

It's a shame to have such brilliance buried so deep (post #245) in a long thread. I suggest you start a new thread about this and maybe other similar genius safety ideas.

I'm sure it'll bring plenty of commentary. Joey can bring the popcorn, and I'll bring the beer.

Meanwhile one question------
What happens if the car entering from the right is on a one way street?

Anyway, in case you missed the sarcasm, let me guess.

You're mainly an off road rider, either MTB, or bike trails, and ride roads as Plan B when necessary.

You might ask yourself the basis of lecturing very experienced road and urban cyclists like Joey, Vegan, LiveDark, myself and others here who have VASTLY more traffic experience than you do.

Don't consider this an attack, my objective is simply to help provide a framework to help others put your opinions in context.

Last edited by FBinNY; 05-28-23 at 11:24 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 05-29-23, 05:00 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Let's move the needle and talk about things you do as a cyclist that prevents or deters accidents. Here's one of my favorites: "The Fake Right Turn". If I see a car ahead of me attempting to make a turn onto the street I'm traveling on, I often signal that I'm turning right to let the car know they can move forward (especially if that "car" is a truck, school bus, ups or amazon or fedex driver). After they turn I keep going straight. If the car doesn't make a right because of traffic behind me or whatever reason, I do in fact make the right turn and continue until I am able to go behind all visible traffic, U-turn, and make a right turn onto my original path.
This is just about the dumbest practice I can imagine. If there's a car behind you, the driver might see that signal and assume they can turn right simultaneously with your right turn. Then, when you go straight through the intersection, the driver is going to hit you in the classic right hook. It's a hell of a lot easier to be wrong about whether there's someone behind you than in front, so why would you risk being wrong about that?

Throwing false signals is an idiotic practice. All it can do is confuse people about what direction you are going. So is all this unnecessary u turning you are doing. My basic principle in riding in traffic is to be as completely predictable to the drivers as I can. You, on the other hand are describing doing a bunch of screwy misleading things just so a driver doesn't think he should have to wait his turn before turning onto the road. You're not preventing accidents with this idiotic strategy, you're making getting hit a far higher probability. You obviously don't have the first clue about riding in traffic, why are you blathering on?

And as to your stupid poll, you didn't have a "it depends on the situation" option. That would have won hands down.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-29-23, 05:17 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by JoeyBike
🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

Oh PLEASE don't lock it! So much entertainment. Just let ONE goofy thread exist until it dies of natural causes. Pretty please.

Watching people embarrass themselves makes some of us very happy.

OP is too ignorant to get embarrassed, which is why he's as entertaining as he is. I did more road riding in the last two days than he's done in the last 2 years, and his latest "tip" is just plain goofy.
Likes For livedarklions:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.