Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Trans Ecuador on a heavily loaded bike?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-23, 06:59 PM
afrowheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts

Greetings,

I am hoping to get back on the road soon after a long sojourn off the bike. Recently came across the Trans Ecuador route and I am wondering whether anyone has done it with a fully loaded touring bike? I notice it recommends lightly loaded... Was thinking of connecting to it in Tumbaco from Quito.

Otherwise will likely take a route via Tena and Cuenca. But thoughts/recommendations welcome.

Cheers
Old 05-24-23, 08:28 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,439 Times in 989 Posts
I was there in 1990 on a mountain climbing trip, so not sure I can be of any help except to say driving along the Pan American Highway was nothing but gorgeous scenery. And expect it to rain every day in the late-afternoon. Other good stops along the way are Otovalo (kind of a tourist trap), Riobamba, Banos, and an old Ranchero between Cotopaxi Natl Park and Riobamba that's used as a tourist hotel and getaway spot for wealthier locals (can't remember the name right now ). Check on volcanic activity of the mountains as Cotopaxi erupted a few years ago and stopped traffic along the Pan American Highway, and others (Sangay, Tunguhurahua (SP?) are very active and likely to 'blow' with little notice. The article you link was from a 2018 trip, I hope you realize the country is going through some political turmoil right now, so keep any eye on that if you're seriously planning the trip.
Old 05-25-23, 03:24 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
check crazy guy.

Lasso to Wild Camp outside Cotopaxi: We venture onto the TEMBR

Friday August 16, 2019, 23 km (14 miles) - Total so far: 711 km (442 miles)

The route we began today may well be the most challenging section of our entire trip. We plan to complete the Trans Ecuador Mountain Bike Route, dirt version around the Cotopaxi volcano. We knew this would be tough and we hope to enjoy it, so we are budgeting a lot more time than most folks. It seems like most do it in less than 3 full days, but I’m going to assume it’ll take us five. Mike and I spent the morning visiting grocery stores as we want to be prepared to go 3.5-4 days without a restaurant or store - this is probably overdoing it, but having hungry kids will certainly make for a bad experience. We find ourselves eating things here that we would never eat at home. Sure there are lots of new fruits that we carry regularly and meals are filled with vegetables and simple ingredients, but also snickers bars and oreos to keep spirits up. We regularly cook with Bonela - Ecuadorian margarine, because it’s shelf stable, comes in small packets, and adds fat and flavor to simple meals. The kids have also been buying doritos occasionally as a treat along the way, which we would never allow at home (all those artificial flavors and colors!!!)
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/...id=588513&v=4q

heavy bike!
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/pics...C01523.jpg?v=0
Old 05-28-23, 07:26 PM
afrowheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Still wasn't sure about it so decided to take the tarmac route east and then south.

Originally Posted by skidder
I was there in 1990 on a mountain climbing trip, so not sure I can be of any help except to say driving along the Pan American Highway was nothing but gorgeous scenery. And expect it to rain every day in the late-afternoon. Other good stops along the way are Otovalo (kind of a tourist trap), Riobamba, Banos, and an old Ranchero between Cotopaxi Natl Park and Riobamba that's used as a tourist hotel and getaway spot for wealthier locals (can't remember the name right now ). Check on volcanic activity of the mountains as Cotopaxi erupted a few years ago and stopped traffic along the Pan American Highway, and others (Sangay, Tunguhurahua (SP?) are very active and likely to 'blow' with little notice. The article you link was from a 2018 trip, I hope you realize the country is going through some political turmoil right now, so keep any eye on that if you're seriously planning the trip.
Thanks. Yeah, political situation is interesting... I have been keeping an eye for a while. Actually been in the country for over a month. Peru, where I'm heading next, is even more on edge..

Originally Posted by Ron Damon
Looking for a tour partner? Hablo espaņol. 😉
I tend to be a bit of a lone long haul trucker, but if you happen to be on the road maybe we'll meet 👍

Thanks, I looked but missed this one. Definitely a heavy bike there! But sounds like they may have only done the part around Cotopaxi and I was wondering about taking it most of the way to the border with Peru.
Old 05-29-23, 03:20 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
I wear merino wool underwear beneath common athletic shorts.

Marc