Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

KMC quick link question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

KMC quick link question

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-23, 03:58 AM
1962schwinn

Bikes: 1962 Schwinn Tiger, 1977 Schwinn Typhoon, 1979 Schwinn Spitfire 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
KMC quick link question

Recently disconnected my chain's quick link by slipping an old cable through a link on either side and twisting it with locking pliers. Seemed like it popped and was free. Put the link together by itself and it went together with no effort. Then bought a new chain and the quick link is the same way, slides into position with no effort, chain tension pulls it together. Expected to feel a little resistance that would make me confident that it is locked. Hoping to hear people's experiences with their's. Thanks
Old 05-28-23, 04:51 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
Sounds consistent with my experience.
Old 05-28-23, 07:21 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,255 Times in 662 Posts
the shimano links really "snap" into the locked position and you know it is locked.

I modified a set of Park chain pliers for just this purpose

As you say chain tension should keep it locked but if its that easy - I would be less than confident that it is locked

I have not messed with the KMC ones and probably won't.

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 05-28-23, 07:40 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
I have used numerous KMC quick links on their own and on Shimano chains. Have never had a problem, with any of them.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 05-28-23, 07:44 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by 1962schwinn
Recently disconnected my chain's quick link by slipping an old cable through a link on either side and twisting it with locking pliers. Seemed like it popped and was free. Put the link together by itself and it went together with no effort. Then bought a new chain and the quick link is the same way, slides into position with no effort, chain tension pulls it together. Expected to feel a little resistance that would make me confident that it is locked. Hoping to hear people's experiences with their's. Thanks
Most links are single use…technically. Practically, they are tough to get to lock on the first use but are much easier to lock on subsequent uses.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-28-23, 07:44 AM
1962schwinn

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Flangehead, any issues ever with a chain staying connected using that link? This is my first time with this chain.
Old 05-28-23, 08:09 AM
1962schwinn

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. Morning ride tomorrow, from my house. Fingers crossed for a trouble free holiday ride.
Old 05-28-23, 08:39 AM
MudPie

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
I've been using KMC (10 spd) chain and it does take some effort to connect and lock the link into place. I have to place the link on the upper run, then hold the rear wheel and turn the crank, until it snaps into place with a definite click. It doesn't take a huge force to lock it in as I do this while the bike is on the stand and I'm just using my hands.

Note, the link will hold itself together a bit before it's locked, but in this pre-lock state, the link will not travel thru the derailleur smoothly since it is slightly shorter. You can see it the link is not locked by visual inspection. In fact, I usually assemble the link on the chain's lower rung, then pedal the chain until it's on the upper run, then lock it by holding the rear wheel and operating the crank.
Old 05-28-23, 09:21 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Thanks for the replies. Flangehead, any issues ever with a chain staying connected using that link? This is my first time with this chain.
There shouldn’t be. They don’t rattle loose nor can they really be opened without squeezing the link together. That’s difficult to do with any movement on the chain that you’d normally put the chain through. The one caveat that I would add is that the Sram type link is far less prone to failure (like, never in my experience)

than this type. I can’t believe that Shimano has gone back to this kind of link. This style is from more than 20 years and did fail occasionally. The link has to be bent to lock it in place and reuse can cause the link to crack. It’s a bad design.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-28-23, 09:40 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,897 Times in 849 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
There shouldn’t be. They don’t rattle loose nor can they really be opened without squeezing the link together. That’s difficult to do with any movement on the chain that you’d normally put the chain through. The one caveat that I would add is that the Sram type link is far less prone to failure (like, never in my experience)

than this type. I can’t believe that Shimano has gone back to this kind of link. This style is from more than 20 years and did fail occasionally. The link has to be bent to lock it in place and reuse can cause the link to crack. It’s a bad design.
I just bought some Shimano links and they were still these type. I wonder how important it really is to replace them each time as they are $8.50 a link..seems like they still take quite a bit of force to snap them in place.
Old 05-28-23, 09:45 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 440 Posts
Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I still fail to see the advantage of Quick Links. If they're (technically) single use, and if it still requires a tool, I'll stick with chain pins.
Old 05-28-23, 09:59 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
I've been using KMC chains on my folding commuter bike for several years. I take the chain off a couple times a year for cleaning and re-use the quick-link. I've not had any problems with the link staying connected. I need a quick-link pliers to remove it even after several openings. This is a bike with IGH, so a simple 2-sprocket chain system... with a derailleur-based drivetrain might have different concerns.
Old 05-28-23, 10:15 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,628 Times in 1,044 Posts
Most links are single use…
Yep... A statement quite important to remember. I used quick links both ChiCom knock off and Brand Name consistently using them over and over and thought nothing of it. Then one day I was taking one off and dropped it on the ground and it came apart. I then went back and checked all my other bicycle quick links and found another that was loose. I don't think the brand really matters. I just don't reuse them unless I have to.
Old 05-28-23, 10:21 AM
jadmt

Originally Posted by zandoval
Yep... A statement quite important to remember. I used quick links both ChiCom knock off and Brand Name consistently using them over and over and thought nothing of it. Then one day I was taking one off and dropped it on the ground and it came apart. I then went back and checked all my other bicycle quick links and found another that was loose. I don't think the brand really matters. I just don't reuse them unless I have to.
I have a few used shimano 11s ones and they feel pretty much as solid as the new ones. not sure what you mean dropped it on the ground and it came apart? If you were taking it off it should have been apart? If it were together on the chain how did you drop it on the ground? maybe I am not understanding what happened thanks
Likes For jadmt:
Old 05-28-23, 10:57 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
Cyccommute is correct. There are two types of KMC Quick links, one is single-use and the other you can use a few times. If the link went together without a clear snap, then it's probably a single-use link. It's probably ok to use (as long as it's not a fixed gear bike) but if it were me, I'd get a 3-pack of Quick links and change it out soon. They are cheap enough to do that. FWIW, I get mine straight from KMC's web site.

For me, they are cheap enough that it's not worth the risk of a chain disconnecting, for whatever reason, while riding.
Old 05-28-23, 11:28 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
My commuter bike came with KMC X-10 chain and it failed within a few miles of purchase at the quick link.

I buy KMC chains, both X-10 and 8 speed. I use hot wax immersion for lubrication and I reuse the quick link, only replacing it when I replace the entire chain.

I’ve never had a link that I installed fail, and my only failure was the infant mortality cited above.
Old 05-28-23, 11:55 AM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I still fail to see the advantage of Quick Links. If they're (technically) single use, and if it still requires a tool, I'll stick with chain pins.
Jeff,

I won't try to persuade you on the merits of quick links, but the Connex brand link needs no tools to open or close, and it can be used multiple times. I don't know how many, because I see no wear or degradation on the one I'm using. It's a clever design.
It's 35 seconds, he opens and closes it twice.

Originally Posted by flangehead
My commuter bike came with KMC X-10 chain and it failed within a few miles of purchase at the quick link.
I've had only one KMC link, and it was faulty and couldn't be installed. One of the pins wasn't perpendicular to the plate:

Defective KMC quick link

I used SRAM links prior to discovering the Connex, never a problem.

Last edited by BCDrums; 05-28-23 at 06:40 PM.
Old 05-28-23, 11:58 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,255 Times in 662 Posts
I just replaced a shimano 11 speed link and it is really tight ! I had to modify a Park chain plier to spread it and it really snaps in with a very positive click.

I would much rather use a link than have to "peen over" the pin using a chain press or use that "snap off" pin. Don't trust those at all.

/markp
Old 05-28-23, 12:58 PM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by BCDrums
Jeff,

I won't try to persuade you on the merits of quick links, but the Connex brand link needs no tools to open or close, and it can be used multiple times. I don't know how many, because I see no wear or degradation on the one I'm using. It's a clever design.......
Thanks for that. That's the ease of use I'm looking for. I ordered one from Amazon and I'll try it on my next chain.
Old 05-28-23, 01:09 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Most links are single use…technically.
Originally Posted by zandoval
Yep... A statement quite important to remember.
I seem to remember a discussion about whether "single use" meant "not to be opened and then used again", or "use only during the life of this single chain". I don't remember if there was a resolution.

Wippermann "Connex" links are pretty clearly intended to be opened and closed more than once; not sure about other kinds like KMC.

I erred when I said my commuter bike uses the KMC quick links; it actually uses a quick link, but it's the kind that's three-piece with a "keeper" clip, and not designed for derailleur drivetrains... but can be re-used virtually indefinitely. What I was thinking about was my mountain bike, which has a 3x8 drivetrain. I have opened and re-closed the KMC link on that bike several times during the life of the chain without problems shifting or chain separation. But I always use a new quick link with a new chain. Same for the Wippermann Connex link on my road bike (3x9). Perhaps there's a difference with the links for 10-speeds and up.

It would seem that with these quick links as long as the chain is under tension there should be no problem. But when the chain flexes laterally, as when shifting, one side of the quick link could be disengaged, resulting in chain separation. This is an interesting question...

EDIT: Wippermann Connex links can be used with other brands of chain...
Likes For sweeks:
Old 05-28-23, 01:18 PM
sweeks

Originally Posted by BCDrums
Jeff,
Here's a demonstration video. It's 35 seconds, he opens and closes it twice.
After the video demonstration there's an image showing the correct orientation of the link. I've never known about this or paid attention to it.
I'll follow directions next time, but unless I've managed to unwittingly install it correctly every time, it doesn't seem to matter.
Likes For sweeks:
Old 05-28-23, 01:39 PM
jadmt

Originally Posted by sweeks
I seem to remember a discussion about whether "single use" meant "not to be opened and then used again", or "use only during the life of this single chain". I don't remember if there was a resolution.

Wippermann "Connex" links are pretty clearly intended to be opened and closed more than once; not sure about other kinds like KMC.

I erred when I said my commuter bike uses the KMC quick links; it actually uses a quick link, but it's the kind that's three-piece with a "keeper" clip, and not designed for derailleur drivetrains... but can be re-used virtually indefinitely. What I was thinking about was my mountain bike, which has a 3x8 drivetrain. I have opened and re-closed the KMC link on that bike several times during the life of the chain without problems shifting or chain separation. But I always use a new quick link with a new chain. Same for the Wippermann Connex link on my road bike (3x9). Perhaps there's a difference with the links for 10-speeds and up.

It would seem that with these quick links as long as the chain is under tension there should be no problem. But when the chain flexes laterally, as when shifting, one side of the quick link could be disengaged, resulting in chain separation. This is an interesting question...

EDIT: Wippermann Connex links can be used with other brands of chain...
that makes sense to me.
Old 05-28-23, 01:40 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
I just replaced a shimano 11 speed link and it is really tight ! I had to modify a Park chain plier to spread it and it really snaps in with a very positive click.

I would much rather use a link than have to "peen over" the pin using a chain press or use that "snap off" pin. Don't trust those at all.

/markp
I've always installed it on the top side of the loop of chain (noting the arrow for the correct direction of travel on the link itself -- this is probably a minor shifting improvement if it's oriented correctly).
Then stand over the bike, and push down on the pedal until I hear the "Click!"

~~~~
Connex
The Connex links worked great on my older 10 speed Campagnolo chains. Extremely easy to install or remove without tools, and never any problems or failures. I would have kept using them, but they were $30 for 11 speed (I have no idea why so expensive.) They still are $20 or $25, I see.

I just use the Shimano links that now come with the chain, and will remove and reconnect them a couple of times during the life of the chain.

I had an improvised tool, made from a bent spoke, to remove a quick link. But it was too flexy for the tighter 11-speed Shimano or Sram links.

MLP-1.2

I now have the Park Tool MLP-1.2, which work great for installing (pull the handles apart) or for removing the link (squeeze the handles together).

Last edited by rm -rf; 05-28-23 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-28-23, 01:58 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
Pins require a tool as well. If you are using replacement pins from Shimano, you are probably okay. If you are pushing the pin out and re-installing the pin on just about any modern chain, you are risking the chain pulling apart. Even a single use quick link that has been use more than once won’t pull apart resulting in a broken chain. The link may be easy to pull apart and can be done without tools but it won’t pull apart under load like a pin that has had the peen removed can.

Old 05-28-23, 02:55 PM
rc5781

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
I use one very slim metal chopstick to lock in the master link or one tooth of a mini lock plier.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.