Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1984 Peugeot Canyon Express MTB

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.
View Poll Results: Anybody else have one of the Peugeot "Express" MTBs?
Found them reliable and easy to maintain?
10.00%
Used them for commuting over 10 miles each way per day?
0%
Did a loaded tour with one?
10.00%
Knew they were made in Japan for Peugeot?
80.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-23, 09:55 AM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 126 Posts

I am not a MTB guy, but these mid-eighties versions caught my attention when I was looking into the Surly LHT. This one was the top-of-the-line in the Peugeot catalog. It was also a bike from the first year MTBs appeared in their catalogs. If I am wrong, I stand to be corrected. One thing that really caught my eye about them was how they were also promoted as a bike for touring and commuting. They had an adequate number of braze-ons at that time for water bottle cages (2), and a rear rack. They also have a chain peg and forged dropouts with rear adjusters. The "bull moose" bars, motorcycle-style brake levers, thumb shifters, ergo grips, and biplane forged crown really give it a great look, especially when set against the backdrop of the Cobalt Blue paint job with white graphics. This one now sports a Brooks Flyer, Deore XT rear deraileur, Blackburn rack, bell, water bottle cage, salmon Kool-Stops, and a new pair of Michelins.

Last edited by cycleheimer; 05-28-23 at 10:12 AM.
Likes For cycleheimer:
Old 05-28-23, 10:38 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 638 Posts
I never had a Peugeot vintage mountain bike , but those in my country were highly rated and very easy to maintain. During my last trail ride some years ago, I met a guy who used to have a 2000 Peugeot Teamline frame (top of the line Peugeot frames)made of Columbus Genius and was full XTR equipped.
Likes For georges1:
Old 05-28-23, 11:13 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 249 Posts
Panasonic

I think the Peugeot ATBs are identical to the Panasonic line.
i picked up this ‘89 mountain cat last year here on the forums.
I’ve been using it for dirt road riding and recently a short camping trek.
Yes- rack & fender attachments.
i changed the bars and saddle. Also shed some weight with different smells. Added a lighting system.
mine has 130mm rear triangle spacing - but 26in wheels. And the BB brake.

I’ve not been commuting on it yet due to an office relocation/ hybrid work from home schedule.

mine feels a bit heavy and kind of rides that way. I’ll decide if I keep it long term after a long fall tour.

Last edited by mrv; 05-28-23 at 11:17 AM.
Likes For mrv:
Old 05-28-23, 11:59 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
That's an attractive bike and if it was in fact made by Panasonic the quality should be good. I'd ditch the kickstand before it damages the frame. Also, if you plan to ride the bike you should adjust the saddle tilt.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-29-23, 07:28 AM
OTS 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 236 Times in 138 Posts
@DQRider has a Canyon Express.
You might check in with him.
A very purpose built Urban Cruiser, as are all his builds.
DQRider's Canyon Express
Likes For OTS:
Old 05-29-23, 08:53 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
What is your aim with the poll? I've had a couple of these and presently have a garbage save sitting in the shed.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 05-29-23, 10:58 AM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Originally Posted by curbtender
What is your aim with the poll? I've had a couple of these and presently have a garbage save sitting in the shed.
Thee poll feature popped up when I started the thread. Then I started wondering if anybody used one of these Peugeots for commuting and/or touring, and how good their luck was with it. I just bought another touring bike yesterday, though, and probably will build that up for my new commuter/tourer. It's a real mess, so I might use the Peugeot until I redo it.

Last edited by cycleheimer; 05-29-23 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-29-23, 01:56 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
Originally Posted by cycleheimer
Thee poll feature popped up when I started the thread. Then I started wondering if anybody used one of these Peugeots for commuting and/or touring, and how good their luck was with it. I just bought another touring bike yesterday, though, and probably will build that up for my new commuter/tourer. It's a real mess, so I might use the Peugeot until I redo it.
Ok, I'm sure there could be more than one answer on that poll. I've had multiple brands of bullmoose mountain bikes from that era and they all featured that relaxed ride.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 05-30-23, 08:09 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
I just sold a nice Urban Express a couple weeks ago for $160. It was very clean and mostly original. Because I was selling it as basic transportation, I pulled the OG cockpit (NItto bar/Suntour XC stem) and replaced it with a period SR Slingshot setup.

Likes For Dylansbob:
Old 05-30-23, 07:07 PM
cycleheimer

Originally Posted by Dylansbob
I just sold a nice Urban Express a couple weeks ago for $160. It was very clean and mostly original. Because I was selling it as basic transportation, I pulled the OG cockpit (NItto bar/Suntour XC stem) and replaced it with a period SR Slingshot setup.

Looks good. I still find it hard to believe these bikes are almost 40 years old.
Old 06-11-23, 02:17 PM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by mrv
I think the Peugeot ATBs are identical to the Panasonic line.

. . .
Some of the first Peugeot MTBs had frames made by Araya of Japan. The serial numbers can be used to determine the manufacturer.

Some later Peugeot MTBs were made Groupe Procycle in Saint-Georges de Beauce, Quebec, Canada.

I have never seen a Peugeot MTB with a Panasonic serial number.
Likes For Hummer:
Old 06-11-23, 04:15 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,674 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
That's an attractive bike and if it was in fact made by Panasonic the quality should be good. I'd ditch the kickstand before it damages the frame. Also, if you plan to ride the bike you should adjust the saddle tilt.
I was thinking the same until I noticed the saddle springs. Sprung saddles = I have to shut up about saddle tilt.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 06-11-23, 04:43 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 249 Posts
This Peugeot us up for sale near me. The video-grapher thought it might have been made by Panasonic - and the red matches some a couples where Panasonic didn't thoughly inspect my silver / gray (grey?) Mountain Cat 3500. But it looks like there's a cable guide on the bottom bracket, but where my cable routing is under the BB.

Likes For mrv:
Old 06-11-23, 05:38 PM
cycleheimer

Originally Posted by Trakhak
I was thinking the same until I noticed the saddle springs. Sprung saddles = I have to shut up about saddle tilt.
We used to grab a B-66 off an old 3-speed "back in the day".
Old 06-11-23, 06:00 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,047 Times in 1,253 Posts
Cherry! I think you've got that bike set up just right. Another Zombie killer is just waiting for the apocalypse. Love a Flyer.

That catalogue pic is priceless. Looks like the photographer's assistant was told to provide an action shot. Likely soiled himself a little.
Likes For clubman:
Old 06-12-23, 08:01 AM
cycleheimer

Originally Posted by clubman
Cherry! I think you've got that bike set up just right. Another Zombie killer is just waiting for the apocalypse. Love a Flyer.

That catalogue pic is priceless. Looks like the photographer's assistant was told to provide an action shot. Likely soiled himself a little.
Yea, heaven forbid they show it on a trail, or on a fully loaded tour, or at a campsite. The expression on his face seems to say "WHY ME?" Maybe the photographer was messing with him.