Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Is ERD about 6mm larger than inside rim?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 05-28-23, 04:10 PM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts

If you measure the inside of the rim, can you just add 6mm to get the ERD?
Old 05-28-23, 04:27 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 655 Posts
every rim is different and it is pretty easy to measure. Get 2 spokes, thread the nips on and cut them to exactly 250 mm

then put them thru opposing spoke holes and measure the gap. Add 500 mm. done.

E-Z

/markp

Last edited by mpetry912; 05-28-23 at 04:36 PM.
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 05-28-23, 05:56 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
"inside of the rim" can mean a few different things to different people. Where does the "6mm" come from? I suspect we have missing context or not well described terms.

Spoke bed is the surface inside the rim that the nipples seat on. It is the diameter across the spoke bed that ERD is.

Marks method of measuring is a great one for the home builders, and used by many shops too in one form or another. I'll add that one should always measure at a few points about the rim and average the results. Andy
Old 05-28-23, 07:20 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
every rim is different and it is pretty easy to measure. Get 2 spokes, thread the nips on and cut them to exactly 250 mm
then put them thru opposing spoke holes and measure the gap. Add 500 mm. done.
This is how I do it. Simple.
It is probably a good idea to do this a second time at 90 degrees to the first, in case the rim is not perfectly round.
Old 05-28-23, 08:51 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 719 Posts
Different materials and designs have different thicknesses, the carbon rims I just measured were 6mm between the two sides. I wouldn't expect an aluminum rim to measure the same and those with eyelets were be still different.
Old 05-29-23, 01:51 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5764 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,404 Posts
Most spoke calculators produce spoke length that end just shy of the ERD entered.

So the number you want is the diamerered measured to the tops of th we nipples you plan to use.

The EASIEST way is to measure the.drop from the rim's OD, down to the top of a nipple. I do this by putting a nipple in place, holding it in place with a pencil or similar, then laying a knife across the rim and making a mark.

Double* the depth and.subtract from the rim's OD. Because unbuilt rim a can be oval, measure at least twice and average.

Note: all 700c rims have th we same OD, likewise other sizes, so if you keep notes, you'll only need to measure th ERD drop. Also, if you like buying special tools, use a tread depth gauge.

*a common error is to mix radius and diameter measurements, so don't forget to double the drop.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 05-29-23, 04:13 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3861 Post(s)
Liked 6,450 Times in 3,190 Posts
Park Tool's guide for measuring erd is super easy to understand. And they illustrate it with pics!

https://www.parktool.com/en-us/blog/...e-rim-diameter
Old 05-29-23, 04:50 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 126 Posts
I use two spokes also, but I don't cut off the j-bends. I use a caliper and squeeze the two J-bend ends together, do the proper math. This way I'm not interpreting what a ruler says and wondering if the two spoke ends are perfectly straight or not. Using the j-bends in tension I get a consistent hard number from the caliper.(as consistent as one can hold it that is !) The benefit of doing yourself is in you can use the exact spokes and nipples you're building with, and the proper threading end point of the spoke in the nipple. Do this in a couple of places on the rim for good measure.

The six mm thing sounds like "another one of those" wonky myths/misunderstandings that go around not in cycling but in Life in general.
Likes For Garthr:
Old 05-29-23, 05:50 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
+6mm..maybe, but, as others have said, "it depends".

On older Matrix and current H-Plus Son Archetypes (aluminum) rims the material thickness is 2mm..so ID +4mm is the ERD. HPlus Son seems to quote a slightly different number..no idea why, but measuring the ERD and building wheels (spec-ing spokes) based on that measurement has worked well.
Old 05-29-23, 06:36 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by Garthr
The benefit of doing yourself is in you can use the exact spokes and nipples you're building with...
This confuses me a little. Isn't the purpose of measuring the ERD to help calculate the length of the spokes needed to build the wheel?
But if you mean the same *brand* of spokes and nipples, that makes sense to me.

Leaving the bends on the spokes is a good idea; with cut ends it's a bit fiddly (but not impossible) to get the measurement.
Old 05-30-23, 12:25 PM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 126 Posts
(Laughing with myself...) ..... come to think of it, for measuring purposes it doesn't matter what brand or even type, as long as you're measuring what you're using correctly. Sorry for sharing my confusion with you ! I do take many readings for multiple places though, as when you squeeze the calipers there's always very small fluctuations, at least with my hands and the not fancy digital caliper.

When I bought the digital caliper years ago I almost tossed it as it was eating batteries from even not using it. I finally wised up and now only put the battery in when I use it, then remove it when done. The battery has lasted many years now !
Likes For Garthr:
Old 05-30-23, 02:46 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5764 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,404 Posts
It barely pays to obsess over ERD when using a spoke calculator you're not very familiar with. There are a variety of small fudge factors people build into their calculators, including the 1mm+ difference between hole center, and where the elbow sits, allowance for the longer d, and bistance due to interlace, the difference between the nipple seat and top, adjusting to target 1mm shy of the top.

Obviously the 3-4mm nipple head height is the biggest factor, and it's a problem because some programs use ERD, measured at the rim, and add the height, while others (most? expect you to use an ERD based on where you want the spokes to end.

I suggest that you pick a program, make & enter your measurements carefully, then build a wheel, preferably a front. When finished, note how the results differ from your expectations, then keep using the same program exclusively with that difference being your final results fudge factor.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.