Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

*^*&% sidepull brakes!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

*^*&% sidepull brakes!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-11, 06:56 PM
rookgirl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
*^*&% sidepull brakes!

I'm getting very frustrated with my C&V rides at the moment and much of it is related to the sidepull brakes.

All of my bikes have them and they will.not.stay.centred no matter what I do. What happens is they end up rubbing after I use them once. Grr. My Superbe is the worst offender - those brakes have to be the worst design ever. I tighten the nut a LOT, but I seems as though the system is rather imperfect (fitted metal washer-thing against head tube) as it allows for some degree of working. I am dreaming up solutions such as some sort of non-slip washer (shelf liner? ) between the frame and the brake. Is this hare-brained?

Right now, all I can do is have the cable adjusted very loose, which is pretty awful. I actually dreamed of canti brakes the other night and am seriously thinking that I should get some sort of everyday bike that has them.

Halp!
Old 08-20-11, 06:57 PM
illwafer
)) <> ((

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
you're doing it wrong.
Old 08-20-11, 07:02 PM
rookgirl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
??
Old 08-20-11, 07:14 PM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by illwafer
you're doing it wrong.
Care to enlighten us?
Old 08-20-11, 07:17 PM
cbresciani

Bikes: Colnago C40 HP, De Rosa-Primato, Titus Ti FCR, MOOTS YBB-SL, Pogliaghi Pista

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like some adjustments are not correct. Especially if all of your sidepull brakes are jacked on all your bikes.
Old 08-20-11, 07:19 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
It's easier if you can get a 2nd person to help you. They can pinch the calipers tight against the rim, ensuring they're centered and tight, while you tighten down the nut. Then you can back off the calipers with the adjuster. That's how I do it, anyway.
Old 08-20-11, 07:19 PM
Michael Angelo 

Bikes: Treks (USA), Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn letour,Raleigh Team Professional, Gazelle GoldLine Racing, 2 Super Mondias, Carlton Professional.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts
You need to install a star brake washer between the caliper and the frame, or adapter. Also need the park brake caliper tool to hold it in position while you tighten the nut. One trick I've used is after you center the brake, remove the wheel, accuate the brake just to see if both arms move together as they should. They both should squeeze and release the same, if not the brake cable housing could be too long or too short.

Star washer.

Park tool brake wrench, OBW-3

https://www.parktool.com/product/offs...e-wrench-obw-3
Old 08-20-11, 07:22 PM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 29 Posts
I agree with illwafer that it's a matter of technique. I've never had an issue getting sidepulls to stay centered, not even with cheap ones.
Old 08-20-11, 07:24 PM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Angelo
You need to install a star brake washer between the caliper and the frame, or adapter. Also need the park brake caliper tool to hold it in position while you tighten the nut. One trick I've used is after you center the brake, remove the wheel, accuate the brake just to see if both arms move together as they should. They both should squeeze and release the same, if not the brake cable housing could be too long or too short.

Star washer.

Park tool brake wrench, OBW-3
The brake wrench is the key, just tightening the fixing nut without holding the caliper in alignment is hit-or-miss at best.
Old 08-20-11, 07:35 PM
Cattywompus

Bikes: 1985 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, 1978 Schwinn Super Letour 12.2, Schwinn Paramount PDG 50, 1992 Schwinn Paramount PDG 3, Sears ToteCycle in the works

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got the OBW-3 from my LBS. Ten bucks well spent. Highly recommended.
Old 08-20-11, 07:52 PM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
The PArk Tool brake wrench is a big help on some of them - but it will not fit some calipers due to tight clearances.
In those cases you can try budging the the pivot by whacking down on the spring with a drift - this often works if you can calibrate your arm well enough.
There are also a variety of third hand tools available (if a second person isn't) - This definitely makes centering a caliper much easier.
With the right method and tools, it is possible to center almost any side-pull caliper.

PS +1 to Michael Angelo's advice on the import of getting the brake housing to just kiss the adjuster w/o pushing or pulling.
Also I want to try his star washer idea for myself.
Old 08-20-11, 07:52 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
Ooo, that wrench would mean I wouldn't have to ask my girlfriend for help every time, eh? Cool.
Old 08-20-11, 08:02 PM
mapleleafs-13 

Bikes: Pinarello Veneto, Pinarello Montello, Bianchi Celeste

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i sidepulls
Old 08-20-11, 08:21 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Most better quality sidepulls should be easier to keep centered because they usually have much better pivot designs that have smoother action. and will return to center better than cheaper made sidepulls with crude pivot bearing designs. I never owned Superbe sidepulls, but I would be surprised if I cannot keep it centered on a bike. All my sidepulls since the 80's were no problem when it comes to keeping them centered. Also check your brake cable routing and make sure that the sterring action on the front end does ot pull on thern too much which could also pull your calipers off center.

Chombi
Old 08-20-11, 09:09 PM
afilado

Bikes: '93 Bridgestone RB-1, '91 Specialized Allez Epic, '85 Raleigh Team Pro, '78 Andre Bertin, early '90s F. Moser Leader AX , '85 Centurion Equipe, '98 Litespeed Tuscany, '89 Klein Quantum, '80 Nishiki Superbe, '83 Peckham, '84 Fuji Opus III

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
The Campy star washer at a $1.00 each is the single best value item Campy makes. All my problems with centering brakes disappeared when I started using them between frame/fork and the caliper. They really lock and hold position without over tightening.

Worth every penny.

J
Old 08-20-11, 09:58 PM
metalrideroz

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by rookgirl
My Superbe is the worst offender - those brakes have to be the worst design ever.
No problems with my superbes but if you are using a super stiff outer cable like Jagwire sometimes you will find that it actually pushes down on the brakes making them go to one side. Getting the length/loop right doesnt always work so just use something on the handlebar to hold up/pull/push the cable in the right direction.

Rebuild them if you haven't already, there are alot of sufaces contacting each other which can cause problems if they are not clean.

Last edited by metalrideroz; 08-20-11 at 10:01 PM.
Old 08-20-11, 10:42 PM
Metacortex

Bikes: Fillet-brazed Schwinns

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by afilado
The Campy star washer at a $1.00 each is the single best value item Campy makes.
Got a link?
Old 08-20-11, 10:50 PM
Otis

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
After centering and tightening the pivot bolt correctly. A drop of light oil where the spring contacts the caliper arms, and as mentioned before a sharp whack to the top of the spring opposite the side that is rubbing with a brass drift and hammer.
Old 08-20-11, 11:10 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12757 Post(s)
Liked 7,672 Times in 4,070 Posts
rookgirl, if you're lucky some of your brakes will have wrench flats on that part that the bolt and the spring go through. If they do you can use cone wrenches to get on that while you tighten bolt. Usually 14 or 15mm.

I just got a bike that doesn't have wrench flats on that part - I gotta get one of those OBW-3s. Or maybe just some different brakes...
Old 08-20-11, 11:34 PM
MetinUz

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
When the brakes don't have wrench flats, another trick is to remove the wheel and over-correct as you are tightening the bolt. Pull and release a couple, times, put back the wheel and adjust.
Old 08-21-11, 03:01 AM
look171

Bikes: Casati, Look, Torelli, Ridley, and a bunch of steel bikes from the 80s and the 90s..

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
tap the spring with a screw driver and it will stay canter, but not always. I have never had issues with Superb. forget the third hand tool, unless you want it. Use an old toe strap. I think there is a nut you can hold while tightening the bolt to make it center. Its a very adjustment, you may be doing it wrong.
Old 08-21-11, 05:16 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,433 Posts
Centering it and tightening the nut won't work. That's because the brake and fork already have a preferred position that they've carved into each other. You can't see the notches because they so small.

Whack one spring, as described above. Most of the time, this doesn't weaken the spring; it rotates the whole caliper, allowing new tiny notches. And if it does weaken the spring, that's ok, too.

Do oil the spring where it meets the arms.

Sidepulls are really an excellent design. Once you get the hang of it, they're easy to maintain.

Most of the techniques above won't work. You can't loosen the nut and reposition and tighten the nut.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-21-11, 05:30 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by auchencrow
The PArk Tool brake wrench is a big help on some of them - but it will not fit some calipers due to tight clearances.
In those cases you can try budging the the pivot by whacking down on the spring with a drift - this often works if you can calibrate your arm well enough.
There are also a variety of third hand tools available (if a second person isn't) - This definitely makes centering a caliper much easier.
With the right method and tools, it is possible to center almost any side-pull caliper.

PS +1 to Michael Angelo's advice on the import of getting the brake housing to just kiss the adjuster w/o pushing or pulling.
Also I want to try his star washer idea for myself.
My older bikes with 1st gen Dura Ace or Campy Nuovo Record sidepulls have star washers, and the brakes stay put once I get them set and get the cable housings correct. Somehow I had a few spares stars that went onto the DuraAces, but my recollection is that they are Campy parts and were provided with the Nuovo Record and Super Record brakes as new. It's a great recommendation, but I can't say I've seen them sold other than as Campy parts.
Old 08-21-11, 05:32 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Centering it and tightening the nut won't work. That's because the brake and fork already have a preferred position that they've carved into each other. You can't see the notches because they so small.

Whack one spring, as described above. Most of the time, this doesn't weaken the spring; it rotates the whole caliper, allowing new tiny notches. And if it does weaken the spring, that's ok, too.

Do oil the spring where it meets the arms.

Sidepulls are really an excellent design. Once you get the hang of it, they're easy to maintain.

Most of the techniques above won't work. You can't loosen the nut and reposition and tighten the nut.
Excellent point, I've found this to be critical. If the spring doesn't slide smoothly against the caliper, the added drag will bias how the applied inner/outer cable force results in caliper motion - it has to be balanced!
Old 08-21-11, 05:59 AM
Michael Angelo 

Bikes: Treks (USA), Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn letour,Raleigh Team Professional, Gazelle GoldLine Racing, 2 Super Mondias, Carlton Professional.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts
My LBS sells those star washers, If I only need a few. I usually get them for free.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.