Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Media bias against cyclist in reporting (Shawn Bradley)

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 03-20-21, 08:45 AM
matimeo

Bikes: It's the motor, not the bike, right?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts

I was sad to see in the news recently that Shawn Bradley, a wonderful human being, was paralyzed when hit from behind by a motorist just one block from his home.
This article points out studies that show how the media skews and mis-reports these events:

"... time after time, media outlets opt for simplistic, flawed framing that distorts public understanding by shifting blame, which in turn hurts the cycling community. It’s almost like they are avoiding facing what—or rather, who—is responsible for these terrible crashes. And that seems like no accident."
Likes For matimeo:
Old 03-20-21, 08:49 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
Probably another Driver on a Cell Phone.

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 03-20-21, 10:37 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Media usually screws up any technical facts. More and more it's about being able to sensationalize a report and cause a tug on your emotions. Facts are fewer and fewer and even totally lacking in much of the news I get to see today.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-20-21, 01:34 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Media usually screws up any technical facts. More and more it's about being able to sensationalize a report and cause a tug on your emotions. Facts are fewer and fewer and even totally lacking in much of the news I get to see today.
Who needs facts about cause(s) of collisions when xperts have the all purpose answer at hand for the cause of every collision? "Cell phones!" Done and Done.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 03-20-21, 02:54 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 377 Times in 262 Posts
It's more complicated than that. Although cellphonitis plays a major roll in the increased number of rear end collisions to bicyclists, motorists can be looking in your direction and still not see you. Our perception and what we see are convoluted. when we look ahead and around us as we are driving down the rode. We see what we expect to see. in other words our brain takes in the info and puts the it together. If wee are not looking for anything other than another car we can easily zone out anything else just like it was never there. Because I am always looking for motorcycles, bicycles and pedestrians, I notice them and have never hit anything or anybody. There are ways to defend yourself from celphoneitis and zombie drivers. The brain responds to lights and movement. I have never had even a close call at night. This is because I always use lights. In daylight I have been T-boned. and sideswiped. I currently use a battery powered taillight specifically made for daylight use. I use it on slow pulse mode. The brightness and movement of the light work. I can see people moving to give me room from quite a distance away in my mirror. I never use flashing lights at night.
Likes For Rick:
Old 03-20-21, 04:51 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Rick
It's more complicated than that. Although cellphonitis plays a major roll in the increased number of rear end collisions to bicyclists, motorists can be looking in your direction and still not see you. .
I certainly wouldn't be surprised if "cellphonitis" plays a roll in some rear end collisions to bicyclists. I have read much speculation and fear mongering posted on BF discussion lists in the last dozen years about the significance of "cellphonitis," and it being assumed that the possible presence of a cellphone in a motor vehicle is likely the cause of most if not every motorized vehicle-bicyclist collision. Almost without exception, the BF accusations have usually been with an absence of any evidence presented.

BTW, I have not read on BF or anywhere else any evidence or data of just how significantly the number of bicyclist rear end collisions actually has increased, and if so over what period of time or just how universal/widespread is the alleged increase (rural highways vs urban streets), night vs day, collision numbers vs number of cyclists present on the streets and highways, etc.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 03-20-21, 06:59 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by matimeo
I was sad to see in the news recently that Shawn Bradley, a wonderful human being, was paralyzed when hit from behind by a motorist just one block from his home.
This article points out studies that show how the media skews and mis-reports these events:

"... time after time, media outlets opt for simplistic, flawed framing that distorts public understanding by shifting blame, which in turn hurts the cycling community. It’s almost like they are avoiding facing what—or rather, who—is responsible for these terrible crashes. And that seems like no accident."
Speaking of bias, can you please relate the specific details of the incident?
Did the vehicle swerve into him?
Did he swerve in front of the vehicle?
I have read a few accounts of the incident and none of them had any details.
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 03-20-21, 08:16 PM
Kat12

Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 278 Posts
It's more complicated than that. Although cellphonitis plays a major roll in the increased number of rear end collisions to bicyclists, motorists can be looking in your direction and still not see you. Our perception and what we see are convoluted. when we look ahead and around us as we are driving down the rode. We see what we expect to see. in other words our brain takes in the info and puts the it together. If wee are not looking for anything other than another car we can easily zone out anything else just like it was never there.
Or they could be adjusting the radio, yelling at their kids in the back seat, spending too long checking the rearview mirror, reading a billboard, looking at the woman in the red dress, watching the guy next to them who's driving somewhat erratically, eating, reaching for something that fell off the seat, chatting to a passenger, etc. etc. People have been having distracted-driving accidents for far longer than there have been cell phones...
Likes For Kat12:
Old 03-20-21, 08:38 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Kat12
Or they could be adjusting the radio, yelling at their kids in the back seat, spending too long checking the rearview mirror, reading a billboard, looking at the woman in the red dress, watching the guy next to them who's driving somewhat erratically, eating, reaching for something that fell off the seat, chatting to a passenger, etc. etc. People have been having distracted-driving accidents for far longer than there have been cell phones...
All very true and apparently irrelevant to those who invariably cry "Cellphone!" or "Texting!" in a Pavlovian-like response to any and every vague "news" report of a bicyclist - motorist collision reposted on BF that often serves as a stimulus to the fearful and/or fearmongers.
Old 03-21-21, 07:31 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3743 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 768 Posts
I think we road cyclists get a little taste of what it's like to be in a minority group. The stuff I've had thrown at me, yelled at me and cars actually swerving towards me....after all that I can't imagine driving a car everywhere I go.

That's why I will always stick to the roads -- exerting my right to be there, but in a respectful manner. Peaceful demonstration is a powerful force. Martin Luther King Jr. was absolutely correct.
Old 03-21-21, 07:48 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked 1,144 Times in 869 Posts
Bradley has to be a one off. He was 7'6'' and a guy that big is hard not to see and harder not to miss.
Old 03-21-21, 08:04 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Who needs facts about cause(s) of collisions when xperts have the all purpose answer at hand for the cause of every collision? "Cell phones!" Done and Done.
But these days unfortunately that is the sad truth. Court sentences should be doubled if the person that caused the accident was on his cell phone.
Old 03-22-21, 09:20 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
We see what we expect to see. in other words our brain takes in the info and puts the it together. If wee are not looking for anything other than another car we can easily zone out anything else just like it was never there.
That explains why I smashed into that tree that ran across the road late one night...
Old 03-22-21, 12:54 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
I think we road cyclists get a little taste of what it's like to be in a minority group.
I don't think there's any cycling experience that can give one a taste of what it's like to be in a minority group.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-22-21, 01:32 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
It's more complicated than that. Although cellphonitis plays a major roll in the increased number of rear end collisions to bicyclists, motorists can be looking in your direction and still not see you. Our perception and what we see are convoluted. when we look ahead and around us as we are driving down the rode. We see what we expect to see. in other words our brain takes in the info and puts the it together. If wee are not looking for anything other than another car we can easily zone out anything else just like it was never there. Because I am always looking for motorcycles, bicycles and pedestrians, I notice them and have never hit anything or anybody. There are ways to defend yourself from celphoneitis and zombie drivers. The brain responds to lights and movement. I have never had even a close call at night. This is because I always use lights. In daylight I have been T-boned. and sideswiped. I currently use a battery powered taillight specifically made for daylight use. I use it on slow pulse mode. The brightness and movement of the light work. I can see people moving to give me room from quite a distance away in my mirror. I never use flashing lights at night.
Very few expect to see a UFO land in front of them. Are you saying that if it happened people wouldn't be likely to see it? I'm pretty sure everyone would.

I think it's the other way around. Something totally unexpected (say a cyclist in neon yellow and flashing lights in the middle of the lane) garners much MORE attention than 'just another car'. ...makes alarms go off in even a distracted brain, where as a stopped car may not.
Old 03-23-21, 12:37 PM
downhillmaster

Have yet to see any details of the crash so as of now the only bias seems to be on the part of the OP
Old 03-24-21, 06:34 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
There could be a number of possible causes for this collision--distracted driving, which includes, but not limited to, cellphone use. But the idea that the driver 'saw' the cyclist but didn't actually 'see' him, that is, it didn't register in his brain, is something that I've encountered quite a number of times, most frequently when drivers are making right turns in front of me. They are looking right at me as I am coming through the intersection, and numerous times I've had to slow down or stop to avoid being right-hooked. Also numerous times I've caught up to the driver at the next stop light and confronted them. The common response is, Oh, I didn't even see you. My response is usually, You were looking right at me and you didn't see me with my two brightly flashing/strobing lights and my super fluorescent jacket?! Get the **** off the road and get your eyes checked!!!

I'd be interested in hearing more details the Bradley collision as well.
Likes For mcours2006:
Old 03-24-21, 08:36 AM
rydabent
Banned

There are very few truely accidents. Most collisions are the result of inattention to driving.

Last edited by rydabent; 01-22-22 at 10:05 AM.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 03-24-21, 08:38 AM
rydabent
Banned

Cell phone should be made to turn off if moving faster than 10 MPH!!!
Old 03-24-21, 08:53 AM
matimeo

Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Have yet to see any details of the crash so as of now the only bias seems to be on the part of the OP
There have been no reports of the details, but if you'll take the time to read the article I think you'll be able to put the pieces together.
Old 03-24-21, 09:24 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 302 Posts
First: the gory details can be found at https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ys/4802119001/

The short version is that Bradley was struck by the side of a moving vehicle which caused him to hit a stationary vehicle.

In a past life I was a firefighter and EMT in a very rural area with poor cellular service. I left that position in 2011 and those two factors may have greatly reduced the number of collisions I saw which were caused by vehicles operated while using a mobile device. I have personally provided medical care on scene for over 100 Vehicular Collisions. Note well that we never called them accidents. The dictionary I consulted states that an accident is "an event that happens by chance or that is without apparent or deliberate cause." That does not describe most of the collisions where I have been on scene.

In my experience about 75% of VC incidents were attributable to DUII. Most were alcohol. A few were meth. I also saw a few where there was poly -pharma, mostly meth + something to bring the driver down. None were purely cannabis, and there was a fair amount of cannabis use in our district, In spite of the fact that this happened in St. George Utah it is not possible to rule that out without seeing the vehicle operator's blood alcohol and drug analysis. The description above makes that an unlikely cause, but still possible.

The next most frequent cause of vehicular collisions was adverse weather. The weather in St. George that day did not look too bad. It is possible that there was some ice or snow on the road but not likely. There had only been a trace amount of precipitation over the past three weeks and high temperature for the day was 50F. I doubt that this was adverse weather.

Third on my list was driver inattention. We actually had people just plain drive off the road because they were looking at the scenery. We had one driver hit a stopped school bus because they were fiddling with their vehicle's audio system. Yes, big, yellow, flashing red lights. Go figure! This is not a vision issue.

Beyond that I have seen at least three incidents which I might classify as accidents. Two drivers who became incapacitated due to cardiac arrest and one who became incapacitated due to a diabetic low blood sugar event. The vehicle which hit Bradley was not driven by someone who had such an event.

If I was investigating this incident I would be checking for drugs and / or alcohol, then checking cell phone records. I highly doubt that the driver of the vehicle which appears to have caused the collision to be accurate.

Last edited by DangerousDanR; 03-24-21 at 09:25 AM. Reason: correction
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 03-24-21, 11:54 AM
downhillmaster

There have been no reports of the details, but if you'll take the time to read the article I think you'll be able to put the pieces together.
Nope.
Nothing in that article gives any specific details at all.
Nothing to put together, which simply leaves your obvious bias.
Old 03-24-21, 02:25 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Speaking of bias, can you please relate the specific details of the incident?
Did the vehicle swerve into him?
Did he swerve in front of the vehicle?
I have read a few accounts of the incident and none of them had any details.
Nope.
Nothing in that article gives any specific details at all.
Nothing to put together, which simply leaves your obvious bias.
Speaking of bias, what if NEITHER of them swerved? Your obvious bias is showing.

In A&S, when in doubt, assume "details" that will blame the victim.

-mr. bill
Old 03-24-21, 04:30 PM
Rick

Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 377 Times in 262 Posts
Bradley was struck from the rear according to bikinginla. It is far easier to avoid distracted drivers that you can see than the ones you can't. There is no word on who hit him and probably won't be. The reason the news and lawyers like the word accident is it makes it easy to get away with what should be attempted murder. The little bit of info on how our brain takes what the eye picks up and fills in the picture was to encourage others to study the facts. I did a search on motorists killing bicyclists while using the cell phone. Two came up that were both in California. Both collisions killed two men. The female driver that killed two bicyclists got off with no jail time. The female driver that killed one bicyclist and one motorcyclist got 7 years. She was texting. It is quite likely that the person who struck Bradley didn't see him. If this bothers you study the facts. This is no laughing matter.
Old 03-24-21, 04:31 PM
matimeo

If this bothers you study the facts. This is no laughing matter.
Word.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.