Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.1

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.1

Old 03-25-21, 05:11 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22514 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
It's far away, but we are plotting a trip to LA for mid-August to deposit daughter #2 at USC. We plan to spend at least a week in the LA area so I will have to find somewhere to rent a serious road bike and do a few epic rides. I am guessing Mt Baldy must be on the list, yes?
Old 03-25-21, 05:17 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4839 Post(s)
Liked 7,830 Times in 3,710 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
It's far away, but we are plotting a trip to LA for mid-August to deposit daughter #2 at USC. We plan to spend at least a week in the LA area so I will have to find somewhere to rent a serious road bike and do a few epic rides. I am guessing Mt Baldy must be on the list, yes?
It might do you good to poke your head into the Southern California section of the Regional forums.
Old 03-25-21, 05:19 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
We did Lower Big T - Angeles Forest - Angeles Crest. I don't love the traffic on the descent from Clear Creek to La Canada, especially on the weekends, but it wasn't too bad that day. However, everything came to a stop about halfway down where there was a motorcycle reduced to a pile of rubble on the side of the road. We learned that the rider had been helicoptered out just a few minutes before we got there. When things were cleared up, CHP sent the flock of bicycles down the road ahead of everyone else, so we got a clear run for the last half of the descent.
In the summer we sometimes drive up there and ride from Red Box or Clear Creek. One time on the way up there was a burned motorcycle in the road, still smoldering, and the cops and rescue were looking over the side for the rider but someone came by and told them he was picked up by someone in a car. It seemed odd that he would abandon his bike but when we got to Newcomb's Cafe on our ride, he was there. He had a full leather suit pulled down to his waist and he was pretty drunk by the time we got there.
Old 03-25-21, 05:19 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
Mrs datlas enjoys a brew and sometimes I will have a sip. I keep waiting for it to taste good. Still waiting.l

#AcquiredTaste
Originally Posted by big john
I can. 1990. I had 2 Lite beers at my friends house in Hope, Arkansas after a 3000 mile bike ride. Those were the first drinks I had after I quit drinking in the late 80s. Not a drop since then.
Lite beer is yuck and so is Bud Light. I liked Bud and if I had a dollar for every one I drank I could buy some nice new bikes.
I have nothing against beer, but I have to be thirsty and it has to be really good, for me to enjoy more than the first few sips.
Old 03-25-21, 05:29 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4839 Post(s)
Liked 7,830 Times in 3,710 Posts
In the summer we sometimes drive up there and ride from Red Box or Clear Creek. One time on the way up there was a burned motorcycle in the road, still smoldering, and the cops and rescue were looking over the side for the rider but someone came by and told them he was picked up by someone in a car. It seemed odd that he would abandon his bike but when we got to Newcomb's Cafe on our ride, he was there. He had a full leather suit pulled down to his waist and he was pretty drunk by the time we got there.
Yikes
Old 03-25-21, 05:41 PM
big john

The ride up to Mount Baldy is nice. The shortest way to the village and back down is about 50 miles with about 5000 feet of gain. From the village (where most people turn back) to the end of the road (ski lifts) is 4 miles and 2000 more feet. I usually skip that part but I like the longer route from the bottom which adds 13ish miles and 1300 feet. There are gates on those roads and when the gates are closed to cars lots of cyclists come out and it's a lot of fun. Riding in the mountains without cars is awesome.
I like the Santa Monica mountains a lot and there are a lot more roads than the Baldy area. You could spend weeks getting to know the roads there but at Baldy you can do most of them in a day. A lot of the pictures I post are from the Santa Monicas. The bad part is they top out at 4000 feet so they get pretty hot in summer, even on the beach side.
To get altitude we go to the San Gabriel mountains via Angeles Crest highway. Limited number of roads but lots of miles and you can spend a hot day above 5000 feet and go up to 8000.
Old 03-25-21, 05:48 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,601 Times in 5,946 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
I can’t remember the last time I drank a beer.
I had a night like that back in college

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-25-21, 05:48 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9531 Post(s)
Liked 6,273 Times in 3,459 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Giving up booze during the week turned out to be amazingly easy and also had the effect of reducing our desire for alcohol on the weekends. These days, one drink or glass of wine and I'm done. The exception being on the boat, at anchor after a long day of short-handing with the wife or at the dock after a race. The combination of massive thirst and physical and mental fatigue just removes all the stop signals.

Does your wife mentally fatigue you also when just the two of you are on board?
Old 03-25-21, 05:55 PM
Mojo31
-------

Question for you bike mechanics.

Gott off work early, picked the bike up, and headed out. Fifty feet into the ride, tried to shift into the big ring, and no go. Couldn’t even move the outside lever over. It’s like the derailleur is locked in place. Two weeks ago it worked perfectly. The only thing I did with it since is swap the bars. There is no kink in the cable. Could removing the grifter from the old bar have done anything to it? All I did was loosen the bar clamp bolt and slide it off.

My efforts to figure this out have completely failed. The new 105/Ulgegra style front derailleur is driving me bat**** crazy.
Old 03-25-21, 06:03 PM
big john

Originally Posted by Mojo31

Gott off work early, picked the bike up, and headed out. Fifty feet into the ride, tried to shift into the big ring, and no go. Couldn’t even move the outside lever over. It’s like the derailleur is locked in place. Two weeks ago it worked perfectly. The only thing I did with it since is swap the bars. There is no kink in the cable. Could removing the grifter from the old bar have done anything to it? All I did was loosen the bar clamp bolt and slide it off.

My efforts to figure this out have completely failed. The new 105/Ulgegra style front derailleur is driving me bat**** crazy.
Stuck in the small ring? Is it the shifter or the derailleur? Try to pull the cable itself and see if you can move the derailleur. You should be able to pull the derailleur all the way up if you can turn the crank at the same time.
Old 03-25-21, 06:03 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Can you move the derailleur by hand?

Old 03-25-21, 06:15 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
Does your wife mentally fatigue you also when just the two of you are on board?
We actually do pretty well, cooped up on a boat for two weeks at a time.
Old 03-25-21, 06:19 PM
kissTheApex

Bikes: Yes please

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I'm W'ing FW today (actually at work), and my office overlooks the end of Guadalupe Canyon Road in Brisbane - ever seen "Bullitt"? Remember the end of the chase? The Charger running into the gas station that obligingly blows up? Yeah, right across the street. Anyhow, a lot of nice cars go by because driving Guadalupe Canyon is fun. I look out my window, and there, sitting at the stop light waiting to turn is a Mercedes Benz 300 SL Gullwing, from the mid 50s. I'd have paid real money for a pair of binoculars just then.
A very well kept one pulled next to me at a red light a couple of years back. My wife had to punch me in the arm to get us moving when the light turned green, I was gazing after it after it made the left turn.....
Old 03-25-21, 06:32 PM
Mojo31
-------

Stuck in the small ring? Is it the shifter or the derailleur? Try to pull the cable itself and see if you can move the derailleur. You should be able to pull the derailleur all the way up if you can turn the crank at the same time.
Can you move the derailleur by hand?
Nope. It’s like they are both jammed.

Tried adjusting cable tension. No go.
Old 03-25-21, 06:32 PM
big john

Originally Posted by kissTheApex
A very well kept one pulled next to me at a red light a couple of years back. My wife had to punch me in the arm to get us moving when the light turned green, I was gazing after it after it made the left turn.....
Here is one for sale. Bidding is @ $1.4million but the reserve has not been met.
Likes For big john:
Old 03-25-21, 06:42 PM
big john

Nope. It’s like they are both jammed.

Tried adjusting cable tension. No go.
They can't both be jammed. Highly unlikely, anyway. You should be able to move the derailleur by yanking on the wire.
Old 03-25-21, 06:46 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13642 Post(s)
Liked 4,450 Times in 2,470 Posts
Mrs datlas enjoys a brew and sometimes I will have a sip. I keep waiting for it to taste good. Still waiting.

#AcquiredTaste
It's just the opposite here.
Old 03-25-21, 07:01 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

One of my favorite car stories is how Sam Posey, who went on to become a racer, convinced his parents to buy him a used one in, I think, the early 60s, when it was just a slightly-out-of-date used car. He still has it, and still drives it, and it's never been restored. Just kept up properly.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-25-21, 07:17 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13642 Post(s)
Liked 4,450 Times in 2,470 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
When is it NOT margarita season?? My location my have some influence on my opinion.
Mrs. rjones28 had a worse day than the wilted basil on the kitchen counter, so we had mararitas.

Likes For rjones28:
Old 03-25-21, 07:18 PM
big john

One of my favorite car stories is how Sam Posey, who went on to become a racer, convinced his parents to buy him a used one in, I think, the early 60s, when it was just a slightly-out-of-date used car. He still has it, and still drives it, and it's never been restored. Just kept up properly.
Sam Posey was an announcer for the Tour de France on ABC for a few years. He was awful.
Likes For big john:
Old 03-25-21, 07:49 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
There is no beer in the rjones28 saloon at the moment.
I have a beer every couple weeks. 7.5% is more buzz than I'm interested in these days.

Old 03-25-21, 08:40 PM
kissTheApex

Sam Posey was an announcer for the Tour de France on ABC for a few years. He was awful.
He used to make an appearance read his poems during the F1 prerace shows when speed channel was still a thing and had the broadcast rights for F1.
Old 03-25-21, 08:55 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11894 Post(s)
Liked 6,491 Times in 3,417 Posts
I had a night like that back in college
Just one?

Lightweight.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 03-25-21, 09:18 PM
big john

He used to make an appearance read his poems during the F1 prerace shows when speed channel was still a thing and had the broadcast rights for F1.
I didn't know he was a poet.
Old 03-26-21, 03:12 AM
kissTheApex

I didn't know he was a poet.
Well, I’m not sure if he is. The ones he read during the pre race shows were motor sports themed, and not particularly good to my low brow, but again I can only name 7 main colors and am a knuckle dragging mouth breather, so I’m not the best judge of artistic endeavors.
Likes For kissTheApex:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.