Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Flared Bars-What am I doing wrong here?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 10-29-21, 01:59 PM
Phatman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 50 Posts

I sweated through the handlebars that came on my Crux, so I decided to take the opportunity to get a set of new-fangled flared handlebars to put on there. In theory, I really like the idea of a flared bar--narrow and aero on the hoods and wide and stable on the drops where I usually descend. However, when I put them on, I noticed that my levers are way farther out than the drop handles, so my fingers have to do a backbend to get to the brakes--its incredibly uncomfortable and I can either cover the brakes or hold onto the bars...or be uncomfortable. Not sure it makes a difference, but the bars I got were PRO Discover 12° flare bars, and I've got pretty big hands.

Old 10-29-21, 02:02 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 413 Times in 246 Posts
Watching. I've wondered about that myself. I like the idea of flared bars, but I also like the idea of always having a brifter within easy reach.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 10-29-21, 03:03 PM
SilverRubicon

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
You're not doing anything wrong, this is how they work. I've never had a problem reaching the levers but I can see how there would be an adjustment period
Likes For SilverRubicon:
Old 10-29-21, 03:17 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
As a person with small hands, I appreciate when brake levers point outward a bit. Wonder if there's something you could do when mounting to counteract it.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-29-21, 05:49 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
I’m basing this entirely on the photo, so it may not be the case, but the levers look like they’re flared even more than the bars. Maybe align them in a more vertical orientation and see if this helps.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 10-29-21, 08:13 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
Odd.
My Salsa Cowchipper bars are 24deg of flare and 12deg of drop angle, but I can easily access the brake levers on the hoods or in the drops.

Maybe your SRAM levers are set at a point on the hook of drop bar that is angling them put more than necessaery?
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-29-21, 08:26 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
It kinda looks like the shifters are each on the wrong side of the bar…but that cannot be, can it?
Likes For chaadster:
Old 10-30-21, 06:22 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Something doesn't look right, I think those levers need to be adjusted or maybe switch them around from left to right.
Old 10-30-21, 06:37 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 989 Times in 484 Posts
My 16 deg flared bar doesn't look that far out, granted I have Shimano levers but that looks extreme.

Maybe it has to do with what is referred to "outsweep" in the below pic:

The Easton EC70AX has very little outsweep, whereas the Pro Discover Medium has a bit more.

Old 10-30-21, 06:42 AM
Phatman

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Odd.
My Salsa Cowchipper bars are 24deg of flare and 12deg of drop angle, but I can easily access the brake levers on the hoods or in the drops.

Maybe your SRAM levers are set at a point on the hook of drop bar that is angling them put more than necessaery?
This is something I considered, but this is where they need to be to be comfortable in the hoods. I’ve thought that maybe I’ve got them too far up the bar where it’s still transitioning into the drops, so the clamp area is more horizontal than the drop grip.

Maybe I need a bar with a flare kinda like this? These are $$$ carbon bars though and I really don’t like spending >$100 on handlebars since they’re mostly disposable for me.

Likes For Phatman:
Old 10-30-21, 06:44 AM
Phatman

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Something doesn't look right, I think those levers need to be adjusted or maybe switch them around from left to right.
Lol. They’re not on the wrong sides. I know this is Bikeforums.net, but putting the levers on the wrong side is pretty hard to do when your bike is 1x.
Likes For Phatman:
Old 10-30-21, 10:22 AM
kttyrrell
Cyclist

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The reach to the levers can be adjusted on Shimano levers, not sure if that is the case with SRAM levers. If you can adjust the reach that might help. You should also be able to rotate the levers inward a little.

Last edited by kttyrrell; 10-30-21 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-30-21, 11:58 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by Phatman
Lol. They’re not on the wrong sides. I know this is Bikeforums.net, but putting the levers on the wrong side is pretty hard to do when your bike is 1x.
They're on the correct sides, for sure. The issue is that they're SRAM. They angle the lever outward just a skosh, look at a head on shot of a road bike with non-flared drops, and note that the tips of the levers sit slightly outside the lower bend. You could try to reposition the shifter, but I suspect that it will not greatly improve the ergonomics for you.
Likes For Badger6:
Old 10-30-21, 02:55 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
That looks odd in that the levers flare a lot more than the drops do. My Cowbells are not like that with the 105 levers I use. The levers flare out about the same as the drops, maybe just a hair more, but not much.
Old 10-31-21, 09:18 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 161 Posts
Looks to me it looks like the hoods are twisted in causing the brake lever to be pushed way outside. I would adjust the hoods vertical and see how that works.
Old 11-01-21, 08:59 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
My SRAM Force mechanical levers stick out to the side more than my Shimano GRX levers do.

That said, the photo in the OP looks pretty extreme. Here is what my GRX levers look like on the Enve G series handlebar:

Old 11-01-21, 11:59 AM
Phatman

Well I just did my third ride on these bars and they’ve got to go. I rotated them out and down a smidge and it made it a little more comfy on the drops, but now they’re uncomfortable on the hoods.

it looks like I need something like what he’s got vvv.

Originally Posted by msu2001la
My SRAM Force mechanical levers stick out to the side more than my Shimano GRX levers do.

That said, the photo in the OP looks pretty extreme. Here is what my GRX levers look like on the Enve G series handlebar:
The Enve bars have the same type of flare/bend that the 3ts have, where it starts out more vertical where the hood clamp is, then goes out from there.

Too bad I can’t really do $300 bars, anyone know of an aluminum bars with that style bend?
Old 11-01-21, 01:40 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
The Enve bars have the same type of flare/bend that the 3ts have, where it starts out more vertical where the hood clamp is, then goes out from there.
I don't think this is true actually. The enve bars are shaped basically the same as your shimano bars. You just need to get a regular non-flared road bar, sram shifters just have too much flare built into their levers for you.
Likes For shoota:
Old 11-01-21, 01:54 PM
Phatman

Originally Posted by shoota
I don't think this is true actually. The enve bars are shaped basically the same as your shimano bars. You just need to get a regular non-flared road bar, sram shifters just have too much flare built into their levers for you.
I don't mean to be a dick, but did you see the pic that I posted from the Enve site?
Old 11-01-21, 02:00 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
I don't mean to be a dick, but did you see the pic that I posted from the Enve site?
No worries, I did see it. You might be on to something. I forgot about the overall shape, not just the flare. I'm still not convinced though, every flared bar I've ever seen creates outward lever angle.

Old 11-01-21, 02:14 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
No worries, I did see it. You might be on to something. I forgot about the overall shape, not just the flare. I'm still not convinced though, every flared bar I've ever seen creates outward lever angle.

Posted above. Enve G bar with GRX levers. The levers are on a slight angle but they basically match the shape of the bar, they don't flare out beyond like the OP's:

For comparison, this is what my SRAM Force mechanical/rim brake levers look like on standard road bars with no flare. The SRAM levers definitely stick out to the side a lot more than the Shimano levers do. I've never tried these levers on flared bars, but I have a feeling they'd be poking way out:

Old 11-01-21, 02:53 PM
Phatman

Originally Posted by msu2001la
For comparison, this is what my SRAM Force mechanical/rim brake levers look like on standard road bars with no flare. The SRAM levers definitely stick out to the side a lot more than the Shimano levers do. I've never tried these levers on flared bars, but I have a feeling they'd be poking way out:

Yeah, I think mine did that too with the non-flared bar, but for some reason it wasn't as extreme feeling. I'm thinking its because PRO didn't want a super abrupt transition from the tops to the drops, so they blended the radius some and the hood clamp area is still in the blending zone, not the drop zone and so a tangent taken from the bar at the clamp area (basically a brake lever) shows MORE flare than it would appear. Then add the fact that the SRAM levers are already a bit canted out a bit and you've got an awkward lever position.

I think I'm going to give up on this flare experiment and get the same bar I had before. It bums me out since I like the concept, but I can't be spending hundreds of dollars to try stuff out that will have funny lever ergonomics.
Old 11-01-21, 03:14 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
it's really interesting to see this pic because the bar flare is quite subtle in it. That just isn't a bar that seems to have extreme angles.
Old 11-01-21, 07:27 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
OP, have you tried using the reach adjustment to bring the levers closer in to the bars?
Old 11-02-21, 06:34 AM
Phatman

Originally Posted by chaadster
OP, have you tried using the reach adjustment to bring the levers closer in to the bars?
There’s no reach adjustment on these levers, they’re Apex1. But even if there were, I don’t think it would help since it’s the lateral position, not the reach dimension that’s off.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.