Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Openstreet map USA needed

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-22, 11:02 PM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts

I updated my Garmin with their Garmin map and inadvertently ended up losing my more detailed open street map (OSM). Unfortunately for me, Free worldwide Garmin maps from OpenStreetMap (https://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/) is less functional than it used to be. I can only download individual states now.
Does anyone have, or have a source for, the Open Street Routable Bicycle map for the continental United States or North America they'd be willing to point me toward, or share with me?
Thanks
Old 02-12-22, 06:08 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4246 Post(s)
Liked 1,351 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by cccorlew
I updated my Garmin with their Garmin map and inadvertently ended up losing my more detailed open street map (OSM). Unfortunately for me, Free worldwide Garmin maps from OpenStreetMap (Free worldwide Garmin maps from OpenStreetMap) is less functional than it used to be. I can only download individual states now.
Does anyone have, or have a source for, the Open Street Routable Bicycle map for the continental United States or North America they'd be willing to point me toward, or share with me?
Thanks
https://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ is a zombie site (has been for 2+ years). It looks completely broken now.

I'd recommend bbbike but that doesn't have whole countries. You might still be able to get a region large enough for what you need (few people need the whole US). Make sure to use ASCII (not Unicode) versions.

https://extract.bbbike.org/

https://www.velomap.org/download/odbl/

https://alternativaslibres.org/en/downloads.php#Asia

List of various providers:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/...armin/Download

Last edited by njkayaker; 02-13-22 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-12-22, 09:01 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Free worldwide Garmin maps from OpenStreetMap is a zombie site (has been for 2+ years). It looks completely broken now.

I wonder if it's a victim of Covid as well. I haven't downloaded an osm map for two years which was my last overseas trip.
Old 02-12-22, 09:26 AM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
njkayaker
You are my superhero.
Thanks.
Old 02-12-22, 01:17 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by Daniel4
I wonder if it's a victim of Covid as well. I haven't downloaded an osm map for two years which was my last overseas trip.
No, it was abandoned before COVID.
Old 02-12-22, 01:59 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
It was dysfunctional for a long time. Then someone fixed it. Now they have other problems, I expect it is gone forever.
Old 02-12-22, 03:31 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
It was dysfunctional for a long time. Then someone fixed it. Now they have other problems, I expect it is gone forever.
I never saw it fixed.

The pick-by-tiles (a big advantage of that site) stopped working and the queue kept getting bigger and bigger.

Maybe, the defined regions still worked.

If it "got better" it might have been unintentional. Maybe, it gets better when the server gets rebooted (which happens infrequently).

It's seems kinda clear that the site hasn't been looked at for quite awhile. Lambertus dropped off the face of the earth. Usually, things are shutdown more gracefully.

It could have been something that was set-up not to need management. I think it was, mostly. It just ran out of space (something the system wasn't handling automatically). It shouldn't take much work to keep it running.

It's still "running" because its being hosted on a free server (it would have been shut down if it was on a server someone was paying for).

It kind of looks like it's working but isn't.

It could drift on the internet sea for years.

Looks like the site was having problems earlier than 5/2019.

​​​​​https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=66190

Last edited by njkayaker; 02-12-22 at 04:10 PM.
Old 02-12-22, 04:37 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

I never saw it fixed.
For months there was no place to put in your e-mail address. I recall carefully picking the tiles I wanted and then there was no place to tell them who I was. Eventually that got fixed and it functioned. I do not recall how many years ago that was, but I think it was several months before covid.

I just checked my GPS SD card, the last time I got something off of that site was Apr 2020, so the problem with no place to enter your e-mail address was probably 2019, maybe 2018.
Old 02-12-22, 09:08 PM
njkayaker

For months there was no place to put in your e-mail address. I recall carefully picking the tiles I wanted and then there was no place to tell them who I was. Eventually that got fixed and it functioned. I do not recall how many years ago that was, but I think it was several months before covid.

I just checked my GPS SD card, the last time I got something off of that site was Apr 2020, so the problem with no place to enter your e-mail address was probably 2019, maybe 2018.
Hmm. Interesting.

Given how broken it was before that, it doesn't make much sense to fix that little thing and ignore the other problems.

The site use to work. It shouldn't take much to get to back to that.

I'm not sure if it was actual people fixing things.

It's quite weird. I suspect the owner passed away.

It was seriously broken before COVID.

​​

​​​​
Old 02-13-22, 06:29 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
It's quite weird. I suspect the owner passed away.
​​​​
Or maybe they just lost interest and moved on to other things. I know that I spent years trying to get someone to take over an online venue that I supported for a long time after I was no longer involved. I managed user accounts and did maintenance long after I was no longer actually involved. Eventually it became obsolete for other reasons and was replaced by something I was no longer on the hook for. Not sure why I didn't bail out a decade sooner.
Old 02-13-22, 07:17 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by staehpj1
Or maybe they just lost interest and moved on to other things. I know that I spent years trying to get someone to take over an online venue that I supported for a long time after I was no longer involved. I managed user accounts and did maintenance long after I was no longer actually involved. Eventually it became obsolete for other reasons and was replaced by something I was no longer on the hook for. Not sure why I didn't bail out a decade sooner.
Did your site continue as a zombie/broken site with no apparent maintenance for 3+ years? Where you paying hosting fees over that time?

If they lost interest, how much effort would it have taken to shut it down gracefully? Is spending 10 minutes putting up a banner page that much effort?

The owner of the site was actively-involved in a forum about the site. There was no mention of not wanting to run the site any longer or asking someone to take it over (that is, there's nothing that makes this case appear similar to yours).

Abandoning a site in the way it was abandoned due to "lack of interest" would be a weird level of laziness and lack of regard of users of the site.​​​​​

People are still trying to use the site and posting complaints about it. Why accumulate that bad-will over 3+ (and ongoing) years when a 10 minute change could have avoid the tarnishing of your reputation?

It's weird anyway you cut it.

==================

​​​​​​I think the site could have been set up to require very-little manual fussing with.

Last edited by njkayaker; 02-13-22 at 07:38 AM.
Old 02-13-22, 07:37 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Did your site continue as a zombie/broken site with no apparent maintenance for 3+ years? Where you paying hosting fees over that time?

If they lost interest, how much effort would it have taken to shut it down gracefully? Is spending 10 minutes putting up a banner page that much effort?

The owner of the site was actively-involved in a forum about the site. There was no mention of not wanting to run the site any longer or asking someone to take it over (that is there's nothing that makes this case appear similar to yours).

Abandoning a site in the way it was abandoned due to "lack of interest" would a weird level of laziness and lack of regard of users of the site.​​​​​

==================

​​​​​​I think the site could have been set up to require very-little manual fussing with.
Yeah, no I went to the other extreme. I maintained the user accounts, ran off spammers, and spent way too much of my time on a site I really had no interest in. A few times I had some help, but never got anyone to take over and the help never lasted long.

You may be right they may have died. They could just be pursuing other interests, dealing with poor health (physical or mental), dealing with personal or family issues that caused them to totally lose interest, or something else. I agree that it is odd to just drop out and leave the page to slowly die with no notice though.
Old 02-13-22, 07:48 AM
njkayaker

You may be right they may have died. They could just be pursuing other interests, dealing with poor health (physical or mental), dealing with personal or family issues that caused them to totally lose interest, or something else.
This would make some sense.

I agree that it is odd to just drop out and leave the page to slowly die with no notice though.
This is weird. There was some sort of half-hearted effort (the "server problem" message is old).

I manage a website that costs $500 a year to host. If this site has "significant" fees involved, it's odd that it hasn't been shut down already.

​​​​This site was pretty popular (for its niche). DC Rainmaker have it a visible plug. It might have made enough from donations to warrant a minimal amount of maintenance (much of which might have done by automation).

With Garmin providing free maps for their recent models, there's likely much less demand for this kind of service.

Last edited by njkayaker; 02-13-22 at 07:59 AM.
Old 02-13-22, 08:59 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Free worldwide Garmin maps from OpenStreetMap is a zombie site (has been for 2+ years). It looks completely broken now.

I'd recommend bbbike but that doesn't have whole countries. You might still be able to get a region large enough for what you need (few people need the whole US). Make sure to use ASCII (not Unicode) versions.

https://extract.bbbike.org/
So many options. I need to update the maps on my etrex20x that I use as a backup for randonneuring and primary navigation for off-road motorcycle riding. Which one do I choose?
Old 02-13-22, 09:21 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by kingston
So many options. I need to update the maps on my etrex20x that I use as a backup for randonneuring and primary navigation for off-road motorcycle riding. Which one do I choose?
"Garmin OSM Latin1 or "Garmin Cycle Latin1"

The difference is what they look like:

https://extract.bbbike.org/extract-screenshots.html

... though the cycling versions might have cycle oaths and the others not.
Old 02-13-22, 02:03 PM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by kingston
Or,
USA OSM Topo Routable | GMapTool

If your Etrex allows you to select which map you want to use you can load them all and then pick the base map you prefer. For some things I use one base map, a different one for others. THere are not many topo contour lines on the ones I linked to above, and the contour intervals are shown in feet, but created using metric, so the countour intervals are a bit weird.
Old 02-14-22, 08:01 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
"Garmin OSM Latin1 or "Garmin Cycle Latin1"

The difference is what they look like:

https://extract.bbbike.org/extract-screenshots.html

... though the cycling versions might have cycle oaths and the others not.
Thanks! I loaded the Garmin Ontrail (Latin 1) for the states I need. It was <5% the size of the map it replaced, and seems to have enough detail for my uses.

Or,
USA OSM Topo Routable | GMapTool

If your Etrex allows you to select which map you want to use you can load them all and then pick the base map you prefer. For some things I use one base map, a different one for others. THere are not many topo contour lines on the ones I linked to above, and the contour intervals are shown in feet, but created using metric, so the countour intervals are a bit weird.
I've only ever used one base map so I don't know for sure if it has the options for more, but I don't think it does. In any case, my needs are pretty basic.