Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do You Wear Team Logo Apparel?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: Wear Logo’d Apparel?
No never, wouldn’t even think of it
57.14%
I only fly my own racing teams colors
16.33%
Enjoy logo’d apparel and makes me feel more racy
2.04%
Some times
15.31%
I mix and match logo’d and non-logo’d
11.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Do You Wear Team Logo Apparel?

Old 03-03-22, 07:59 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
And their Core line recently went down in price, too. SS jerseys are now $70 and they sometimes have bundles, like two for $120 or so, or a jersey with with bibs for $150 or so. I think their Core Bundles are a pretty damn good deal for comfort and quality.

If you're thinking about some for touring, definitely consider the core cargo bibs. I certainly gave the thigh pockets the side-eye the first time I saw them, but I bought a set and loved them so much that I bought another pretty much immediately. For any 100+ mile, non-team ride, they're my go-to for having snacks handy or to temporarily stow arm warmers that have been peeled off, etc.
But after reading this thread I am reconsidering for fear of being an elitist poseur with nothing better to do with his money, comfort and functionality be damned. I mean, if one person is happy with $10 jerseys from Amazon I should be, too.
Old 03-03-22, 08:04 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,874 Times in 4,638 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Well said.
Now it’s multiple pages of the geriatric spandex-overall cowboys arguing about the price and variations of polyester/Lycra.
Yep, it’s exactly what people wearing football jerseys as fans or recreational players do lol.
You sure seem to disdain older people. You do realize that there's only one alternative to aging?

And anyway, what does age have to do with any of this?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-03-22, 08:21 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 206 Posts
Cotton cargo shorts and tee shirts?
Please pass the grain of salt.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 03-03-22, 08:23 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
They do account for/make assumptions about rolling resistance with regard to bike type - indicating an MTB will get you a higher power estimate than indicating a cross bike, which will be higher than a road bike, etc. They also do have surface type info available on their route creator, though it's not comprehensive, so they could, in theory, add that as a factor in the future. That might be a lot of work to do for what'll still be a crappy estimate, though.

All gravel not being equal, it really would be just one more piece of GI/GO.

My basic thought on this is that if you want to be able to make comparisons between people's power outputs, you've picked the wrong activity.
Old 03-03-22, 08:29 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
You sure seem to disdain older people. You do realize that there's only one alternative to aging?

And anyway, what does age have to do with any of this?
Self-loathing.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-03-22, 08:31 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Thank you for sharing the view from your high horse. I will be sending you a PM before every ride to make sure I don't offend your standards for acceptable clothing while biking.

The thing with him is I don't necessarily care that he's a troll, it's just that he's such an unclever one. I wish people would stop quoting him because his drivel makes my eyes go to sleep. This seeing quotes thing is the biggest flaw in the ignore list system.

Now cue "blah, blah, blah, my biggest fan, blah blah".
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-03-22, 08:34 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Nachoman
Please pass the grain of salt.

Are you accusing me of lying? About that?!

WTH?

I do occasionally wear other fabrics (polyester "performance" tee shirts), but cotton is most typical for me.
Old 03-03-22, 08:37 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
The thing with him is I don't necessarily care that he's a troll, it's just that he's such an unclever one. I wish people would stop quoting him because his drivel makes my eyes go to sleep. This seeing quotes thing is the biggest flaw in the ignore list system.

Now cue "blah, blah, blah, my biggest fan, blah blah".
You make a good point ... my post was a moment of weakness, before I'd had enough coffee.
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 03-03-22, 08:38 AM
WhyFi

All gravel not being equal, it really would be just one more piece of GI/GO.
Yup. Also, I checked and I was mistaken; in terms of surface, they only have: paved, dirt (they're classifying gravel within dirt) and not specified.

My basic thought on this is that if you want to be able to make comparisons between people's power outputs, you've picked the wrong activity.
I think that the intent is more for people to be able to compare against themselves... it doesn't exactly do a bang-up job of that, either, but it's slightly less garbage.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-03-22, 08:48 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

You make a good point ... my post was a moment of weakness, before I'd had enough coffee.

He's the type of guy the ignore list was invented for. He literally never says anything worth reading. I don't even think he really rides, something I suspected before I put him on ignore when he accused people who carried stuff to fix a flat of being ridiculous and--I can't remember the exact phrasing--some sort of show-off.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-03-22, 08:51 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I think that the intent is more for people to be able to compare against themselves... it doesn't exactly do a bang-up job of that, either, but it's slightly less garbage.
I think that's fair, but I also think that wasn't the intent in how it was used in this thread.

Honestly, I still don't get what the power estimates had to do with this thread.
Old 03-03-22, 09:03 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
I tried that approach very early on when I first got into cycling....The biggest problem with cotton other than poor wicking and long drying issues was durability. I have worn out way too many cotton cargo pants and cargo shorts and cotton t-shirts...When I was riding a lot I used to get an average of a few weeks out of cotton cargo shorts before having to throw them out due to ripping and holes. I never worn out any of my cargo shorts made from technical synthetic fabrics yet. When it comes to long term durability good quality synthetic fabrics win every time.
Old 03-03-22, 09:22 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,167 Times in 763 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Just curious...How long ago did you win those jerseys?
All within the last 5 years..Some last year. Not sure why that matters though.

This thread has turned into a toilet bowl. I'm out.
Old 03-03-22, 09:23 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by wolfchild
I tried that approach very early on when I first got into cycling....The biggest problem with cotton other than poor wicking and long drying issues was durability. I have worn out way too many cotton cargo pants and cargo shorts and cotton t-shirts...When I was riding a lot I used to get an average of a few weeks out of cotton cargo shorts before having to throw them out due to ripping and holes. I never worn out any of my cargo shorts made from technical synthetic fabrics yet. When it comes to long term durability good quality synthetic fabrics win every time.
One of the big advantages of cotton is the cost is so cheap. They do wear out while riding over time, but I have so many of them that it doesn't really matter. They also have the advantage of being comfortable for other uses that don't tend to wear them out, so I get plenty of non-cycling wear out of them during the warmer months. Basically, in months where wearing shorts is appropriate, that's pretty much all I'll wear if I'm not in my dress clothes.

I don't disagree that durability while cycling is an objective advantage to synthetics, but how much that advantage means to us is entirely subjective.
Old 03-03-22, 09:23 AM
WhyFi

Honestly, I still don't get what the power estimates had to do with this thread.
Casual riding isn't a very demanding test for technical clothing. He was attempting to demonstrate that he was a badass and that his jerseys had been ridden hard and put away wet.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-03-22, 09:24 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by prj71
All within the last 5 years..Some last year. Not sure why that matters though.

This thread has turned into a toilet bowl. I'm out.

Are you flushed out or fished out?
Old 03-03-22, 09:27 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Thanks! I would think that means they're using a constant for ground resistance, which is obviously absurd once you go off-road.
Way off topic about pro replica kits.... but I think Strava is more interesting than the fashion police whining about other people's clothing.

I've biked a flat paved rail-trail segment 200 times with 10 different bikes, one with a power meter. Here's a graphic from VeloViewer with data from Strava, sorted by moving time. On the right, you can see power number based on power meter vs Strava est.

(this data is not here to impress anybody with my power numbers, just an interesting slice)

Quick list of the bikes in these stats:
  • Infinito is a 2021 Bianchi Infinito CF road bike
  • Breezer is a 2017 Breezer Radar Pro steel framed gravel bike on 45mm tires
  • Pugsley is a 2015 drop-bar Surly Pugsley running 4" tires ... fatbike
  • Nail Trail is a 2005 Marin Nail Trail MTB converted to SS for winter commuting
The reason I picked this group of results is the back-and-forth with the Breezer and Infinito ... IMO it shows the wild variation in the Breezer power est vs HR and time; while the Infinito with power meter tracks better with time and HR data.

Other things Strava estimates don't account for are winds or group size ... both can have a significate effect on power and the speed of a rider.

Reference, link to the Strava segment: https://www.strava.com/segments/29918758

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 03-03-22 at 10:40 AM. Reason: typo
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 03-03-22, 09:31 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Casual riding isn't a very demanding test for technical clothing. He was attempting to demonstrate that he was a badass and that his jerseys had been ridden hard and put away wet.

No I get that, I just don't get what it had to do with the topic of this thread, which was logos. As far as I'm concerned, the only "cost" question that was relevant was whether you're paying a licensing fee premium to wear team jerseys or whatever.

His "performance" was such a peripheral subject that it's amusing anyone even entertained it.
Old 03-03-22, 09:35 AM
WhyFi

The reason I picked this group of results is the back-and-forth with the Breezer and Infinito ... IMO it shows the wild variation in the Breezer power est vs HR and time; while the Infinito with power meter track better with time and HR data.
Are you on Intervals.icu? Like you, I don't have a PM on all of my bikes, but I do on the primary (and the trainer, of course). One of the things that I really appreciate about Intervals is that, once they have a correlation between your HR and power data, they seem to do a much better job of estimating (and therefor tracking) training load on rides with an HRM but without a PM. An account is free, but I'm appreciative enough of it that I subscribe/donate.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-03-22, 09:36 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Way off topic about pro replica kits.... but I think Strava is more interesting than the fashion police whining about other people's clothing.

I've biked a flat paved rail-trail segment 200 times with 10 different bikes, one with a power meter. Here's a graphic from VeloViewer with data from Strava, sorted by moving time. On the right, you can see power number based on power meter vs Strava est.

(this data is not here to impress anybody with my power numbers, just an interesting slice)

Quick list of the bikes in these stats:
  • Infinito is a 2021 Bianchi Infinito CF road bike
  • Breezer is a 2017 Breezer Radar Pro steel framed gravel bike on 45mm tires
  • Pugsley is a 2015 drop-bar Surly Pugsley running 4" tires ... fatbike
  • Nail Trail is a 2005 Marin Nail Trail MTB converted to SS for winter commuting
The reason I picked this group of results is the back-and-forth with the Breezer and Infinito ... IMO it shows the wild variation in the Breezer power est vs HR and time; while the Infinito with power meter track better with time and HR data.

Other things Strava estimate don't account for is winds or group size ... both can have a significate effect on power and the speed of a rider.

Reference, link to the Strava segment: https://www.strava.com/segments/29918758
I don't strava in part because I wouldn't have the patience to sort through all that data, so I'm going to pass on discussing the specifics, but thanks for answering my questions. Maybe someone else will want to discuss that, looks interesting if you really care about the subject.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-03-22, 09:36 AM
WhyFi

His "performance" was such a peripheral subject that it's amusing anyone even entertained it.
It was entertained because it was an amusing attempt.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-03-22, 09:42 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Interested in seeing peoples’ thoughts
YOU should be ashamed of yourself for bringing up such a serious. contentious, world shattering topic !!!!
Are you not Aware of the masses of SERIOUS cyclists on each side, in the trenches???
You better have a good gas mask...
LOL !!!!!
Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 03-03-22, 09:46 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Are you on Intervals.icu? Like you, I don't have a PM on all of my bikes, but I do on the primary (and the trainer, of course). One of the things that I really appreciate about Intervals is that, once they have a correlation between your HR and power data, they seem to do a much better job of estimating (and therefor tracking) training load on rides with an HRM but without a PM. An account is free, but I'm appreciative enough of it that I subscribe/donate.
That's new to me, I'll check it out. Thanks!!
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 03-03-22, 09:47 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Sure. And especially when riding the ‘77 Colnago Super.
Old 03-03-22, 10:08 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

It was entertained because it was an amusing attempt.

Entertained because entertaining. Got it.
Likes For livedarklions:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.