Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Exercise-induced Pulmonary Edema

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Exercise-induced Pulmonary Edema

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-22, 06:53 PM
swampyankee2

Bikes: '08 Specialized Sirrus, '92 Trek 820, '72 Raleigh Sports, 60? Fongers single speed, '72 Dawes Galaxy, '67 Robin Hood Lenton Sports

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 95 Posts
I scoped out a 5 mile circle route starting from home that minimized elevation gain - only 150 ft. vs 200+. Kept it in lower gears where needed to maintain consistent pedal effort - the granny gearing on my flatbar bike helped. I did ok, felt good at the end, and had no breathing or congestion issues. I will probably use this route to build back strength and stamina, and add a few miles as it gets easier.
Likes For swampyankee2:
Old 03-24-22, 06:50 AM
Climb14er
Jazz Aficionado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 26 Posts
OP… I live at 5420 ft and have climbed routinely to 14K and above for over forty five years. I have exercised induced asthma, got hit one time, pulmonary edema, it’s called HAPE, at 13,700 ft in a brutally cold, vicious dry wind and snow storm. At the time I was fifty two years old and in excellent condition. I now carry albuterol, have been since then. After the attack, I saw my pulmonologist, did a stress test, ekg, echo heart Doppler, passed with flying colors. She put me on Advair, got off of it within six months. Albuterol works for me. I’m turning seventy this year and still need to work out regularly to do the things I love to do.

Honestly, you need to see a doctor and get in much better condition. Good luck and have fun.

Last edited by Climb14er; 03-24-22 at 07:34 AM.
Old 03-24-22, 07:46 AM
swampyankee2

Bikes: '08 Specialized Sirrus, '92 Trek 820, '72 Raleigh Sports, 60? Fongers single speed, '72 Dawes Galaxy, '67 Robin Hood Lenton Sports

Originally Posted by Climb14er
OP… I live at 5420 ft and have climbed routinely to 14K and above for almost forty five years. I have exercised induced asthma, got hit one time, pulmonary edema, it’s called HAPE, at 13,700 ft in a brutally cold, vicious dry wind and snow storm. At the time I was fifty two years old and in excellent condition. I now carry albuterol, have been since then. After the attack, I saw my pulmonologist, did a stress test, ekg, echo heart Doppler, passed with flying colors. She put me on Advair, got off of it within six months. Albuterol works for me. I’m turning seventy this year and still need to work out regularly to do the things I love to do.

Honestly, you need to see a doctor and get in much better condition. Good luck and have fun.
I certainly don't see anything near the conditions you do, and what I called Excersize Induced Pulmonary Edema was pretty mild in comparison, and only a guess at what I was feeling. The kennel cough lasted only a couple days and ended with coughing up a large phlegm ball (gross, I know). I saw a cardiologist several years ago and had the series of tests as you describe, and passed with flying colors.
My past experience with cycling involved 15 mile rides through typical southern New England terrain, and the occasional 30+ miler. I cycled mostly just as cardio along with my weightlifting regimen, so I've never been what would be considered a real rider by this forum's standards. If it takes a few weeks to be able to cycle all the terrain in my area, so be it. I'll get there.
Old 03-25-22, 01:37 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Regarding climbing and exertion, with age I've had to modify my approach. When I was younger I'd spin easier gears at 90-120 rpm on climbs. But I find the aerobic exertion much more stressful now. So I've switched to mashing and stomping bigger gears at lower rpm. At the same time I resumed more walking, jogging and leg strengthening exercises to go with it. So now I usually stomp around 50-60 rpm up climbs. Works for me on our many short, steep hills. At worst my quads will burn before my chest feels strained. If I pace myself all goes well.

Probably not the best approach for real mountains but we don't have any of those here.
Old 03-25-22, 05:37 AM
swampyankee2

Originally Posted by canklecat
Regarding climbing and exertion, with age I've had to modify my approach. When I was younger I'd spin easier gears at 90-120 rpm on climbs. But I find the aerobic exertion much more stressful now. So I've switched to mashing and stomping bigger gears at lower rpm. At the same time I resumed more walking, jogging and leg strengthening exercises to go with it. So now I usually stomp around 50-60 rpm up climbs. Works for me on our many short, steep hills. At worst my quads will burn before my chest feels strained. If I pace myself all goes well.

Probably not the best approach for real mountains but we don't have any of those here.
I've never been one to stand up and pedal, and have always maintained a seated 80-90 RPM pace. I found that going into anaerobic mode with my legs just burn. But now that I don't do heavy squats and leg lifts, it might be different. Always worth trying something different