Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

fearing the slow good bye to rim brake bikes

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

fearing the slow good bye to rim brake bikes

Old 06-19-22, 09:29 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Disc brakes are superior. Pickup trucks only put drum brakes on the rear because they're a lot cheaper.
And just as a reminder, rim brakes ARE disk brakes. There are very few bicycles with drum brakes.
Old 06-19-22, 09:29 AM
mtbikerjohn 

Bikes: a few..

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Sonofamechanic

Agreed….coal and potatoes…not a particularly ‘combustible cocktail’. …and all caused by brake/break failure….so we’ve come full circle…
They still run the 473 engine..
Old 06-19-22, 09:32 AM
mtbikerjohn 

Bikes: a few..

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 95 Posts
Time for a reality check — that would have been a bigger blast than the Hiroshima bomb.
Would have definitely taken out the down town area of town...and the depot,roundhouse,car shop,museum..my old house..yikes!
Old 06-19-22, 09:34 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3936 Post(s)
Liked 7,263 Times in 2,937 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
And just as a reminder, rim brakes ARE disk brakes.
Everyone knows what rim brakes are. Everyone knows what disc brakes are. Good luck with your campaign to re-define the terms that everyone presently uses and understands.
Old 06-19-22, 09:36 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by mtbikerjohn
Would have definitely taken out the down town area of town...and the depot,roundhouse,car shop,museum..my old house..yikes!
Still not reality.
Old 06-19-22, 10:02 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3482 Post(s)
Liked 2,903 Times in 1,764 Posts
Time for a reality check — that would have been a bigger blast than the Hiroshima bomb.
Not really.
Likes For smd4:
Old 06-19-22, 10:17 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by mtbikerjohn
Fortunately,the engine didn't explode or it would have leveled pretty much half of Durango.

Originally Posted by smd4
Not really.
The blast radius of the Hiroshima bomb was about 1 mile, i.e the bomb leveled about 3 square miles of the city. The town of Durango is about 17 square miles. Do the math.
Old 06-19-22, 10:29 AM
Jeff Neese

Everyone knows what rim brakes are. Everyone knows what disc brakes are. Good luck with your campaign to re-define the terms that everyone presently uses and understands.
I'm not sure that's actually true. A lot of people talk about disk brakes as though they're a completely different type of brakes, and are somehow "better". In their mind they are comparing disk brakes to drum brakes (like on a car). In fact, rim brakes are disk brakes that simply use the rim as the rotor.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 06-19-22, 10:31 AM
smd4

The blast radius of the Hiroshima bomb was about 1 mile, i.e the bomb leveled about 3 square miles of the city. The town of Durango is about 17 square miles. Do the math.
I misunderstood what you wrote, which seemed to suggest a boiler explosion would be bigger than the Hiroshima blast. You are correct. A boiler explosion would not be nearly as large.
Old 06-19-22, 10:38 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,821 Times in 2,979 Posts
I'm not sure that's actually true. A lot of people talk about disk brakes as though they're a completely different type of brakes, and are somehow "better". In their mind they are comparing disk brakes to drum brakes (like on a car). In fact, rim brakes are disk brakes that simply use the rim as the rotor.
I don't think people are thinking what you think they are thinking.
Old 06-19-22, 10:39 AM
tomato coupe

I don't know why this pointless statement gets repeated so often. People understand that "rim brakes" refer to one type of brake, and "disc brakes" referent to another type of brake. No one ever points to rim brakes and says "those are disc brakes." What purpose does it serve to call them both disc brakes, when everyone uses and understands the present terminology?
Old 06-19-22, 10:40 AM
PeteHski

I misunderstood what you wrote, which seemed to suggest a boiler explosion would be bigger than the Hiroshima blast. You are correct. A boiler explosion would not be nearly as large.
You learn something new every day. Today I learnt that a boiler explosion would not be nearly as large as a nuclear bomb blast. Amazing!
Old 06-19-22, 10:41 AM
smd4

From now on I’m calling my rim a “rotor!”
Old 06-19-22, 10:42 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by PeteHski
You learn something new every day. Today I learnt that a boiler explosion would not be nearly as large as a nuclear bomb blast. Amazing!
You’d be surprised at what people think about boiler explosions.

In fact, it’s been said that the energy stored as steam is second only to nuclear energy.
Old 06-19-22, 10:45 AM
PeteHski

You’d be surprised at what people think about boiler explosions.
I'd certainly be surprised if they considered them in the same league as a nuclear blast. But having been on these forums for a while.....
Old 06-19-22, 10:46 AM
tomato coupe

It's a little known fact that the U.S. originally planned to drop a steam locomotive on Nagasaki.
Old 06-19-22, 10:48 AM
PeteHski

It's a little known fact that the U.S. originally planned to drop a steam locomotive on Nagasaki.
There goes my coffee! Class post
Old 06-19-22, 10:49 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 413 Posts
Disc brakes are superior.
This isn’t meant to be derogatory, but when you (and/or other disc brake users) state that “disc brakes are superior”…how exactly do you mean they’re superior? What makes them better? My rim brakes are perfectly capable of stopping my bike. I can lock up my wheels, at which point my bike’s ability to come to a complete stop resides in the amount of tire that is in contact with the ground. That ground contact would be the same with disc brakes. A locked up wheel with disc brakes isn’t going to come to a stop any quicker than one with rim brakes. I mean I’ve thought about it a lot, and the only conditions I can think of where disc brakes would be better are: regular long mountainous descents where that brakes have to be applied for long periods; extreme wet conditions; any sort of off-road cycling (mountain bike, cyclocross) where conditions are wet and muddy, or snow and ice.

Dan
Old 06-19-22, 10:52 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by _ForceD_
This isn’t meant to be derogatory, but when you (and/or other disc brake users) state that “disc brakes are superior”…how exactly do you mean they’re superior? What makes them better? My rim brakes are perfectly capable of stopping my bike. I can lock up my wheels, at which point my bike’s ability to come to a complete stop resides in the amount of tire that is in contact with the ground. That ground contact would be the same with disc brakes. A locked up wheel with disc brakes isn’t going to come to a stop any quicker than one with rim brakes. I mean I’ve thought about it a lot, and the only conditions I can think of where disc brakes would be better are: regular long mountainous descents where that brakes have to be applied for long periods; extreme wet conditions; any sort of off-road cycling (mountain bike, cyclocross) where conditions are wet and muddy, or snow and ice.

Dan
Better and more consistent modulation and one finger operation.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-19-22, 10:55 AM
smd4

I’ve got “one finger operation” from my rim brakes. Even from the hoods.
Old 06-19-22, 11:01 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1387 Post(s)
Liked 1,845 Times in 1,063 Posts
I like rim brakes - more than capable / sufficient for many if not majority of bikes / applications

rim brakes are simple - less hassle - and can weigh less

however - a top quality disc brake system is superior to a rim brake system
Old 06-19-22, 11:06 AM
Jeff Neese

I don't know why this pointless statement gets repeated so often. People understand that "rim brakes" refer to one type of brake, and "disc brakes" referent to another type of brake. No one ever points to rim brakes and says "those are disc brakes." What purpose does it serve to call them both disc brakes, when everyone uses and understands the present terminology?
It may not be pointless to everyone. It highlights the fact that what we call disk brakes are not inherently better than what we call rim brakes, because in fact they're the same thing. One of them just has a much smaller diameter rotor (less mechanical advantage), and also weighs more. The tradeoff for those limitations are that you can use carbon rims, and also avoid overheating the rims under long hard braking. A lot of people mention other things like mud, or fender clearance. There are advantages and disadvantages to both, and people should choose based on their actual requirements. It's definitely not a "newer is better" thing.

Last edited by Jeff Neese; 06-19-22 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-19-22, 11:12 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,192 Times in 2,352 Posts
People throw the term “modulation” around with regard to bicycle all the time and don’t define it. From the dictionary definition

a regulating according to measure or proportion
Another definition

the exertion of a modifying or controlling influence on something.
How, exactly, does a hub mounted disc brake give better “modulation” than a rim brake (i.e. a spoke mounted disc brake)? In my experience, I can pull on either a little or a lot and get the bike to slow a little or lock the rear wheel or, in extreme situations, spin me around the center of gravity. The only brake that I’ve ever used that didn’t have “modulation” was a hydraulic hub mounted disc. That one was full on or full off with no intermediate control…i.e. the opposite of well modulated.

I’ve seen people on line who claim that linear brakes are either on or off. I’ve never experienced anything like that in 30 year of using linear brakes.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 06-19-22, 11:22 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,192 Times in 2,352 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_

Dan
Several good points. Bicycles braking isn’t limited by the power of the brake. It’s limited by the rider spinning around the center of gravity of the bicycle system during braking. Lock the front wheel and you are going to take a trip over the bars. Bicycle front wheels don’t skid like a car does, with the exception of tandems because the center of gravity is too far back for the system to lift the rear wheel high enough to put the riders over the bars. You can learn a lot about physics as applied to bicycles by reading Bicycling Scienc by David Wilson.

As for hub mounted discs being superior in rain, the limitation isn’t the braking system. It is the contact patch. The lack of road adhesion is the limiting factor, not the kind of brake.
As long as the bike isn’t using coaster brakes or drum brakes, the kind of brake is seldom a problem in stopping the bike.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-19-22, 12:21 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 1,318 Times in 671 Posts
It’s always interesting watching the debates devolve as a new technology becomes accepted. For acceptance to succeed it is because the product or technology is superior overall than what is being replaced. The luddites crawl out of the woodwork hanging on by whatever tenuous threads of logic to defend the obviously dated and inferior equipment. Clipless pedals, Index shifting, Brifters, 700C Clinchers, Carbon, Low spoke count wheels, Tubeless, Electronic Shifting, GPS Bike computers, 2X drive systems and now disc brakes. Anyone who has spent any extended time on an quality disc brake bike especially in the mountains or in adverse conditions knows they function better and are nicer to use than rim brakes. This is the reason a vast majority of passionate cyclists prefer and enjoy disc brake bicycles. To each their own however defending a rim brake bike as just a larger disc but not taking into account the inherently flexible calipers and cable system is laughable. The advantages of hydraulic actuation and a rock solid caliper design is overwhelming.

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 06-19-22 at 12:34 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.