Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Schmidt Hub with Edelux, Light Kaput

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-22, 10:47 PM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 501 Times in 227 Posts

My SON hub with Edelux light stopped working. I check for continuity on the hub, looks good. Put a meter on the hub connections, spun the wheel, got power. Checked the lead/coaxial wire, got continuity. That leaves the wire up to the light. Question: How does one check an LED unit vs a bulb unit? This is LED, and not sure if you can just check continuity or not. I am pretty sure the issue will be in the soldered coaxial fitting having broken
Old 06-20-22, 12:27 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Most dynamo LED lamps will work straight off a DC source. Optimally this should be 6V, but those lamps normally tolerate significant voltage variations. I suspect that you could power your Edelux from a higher current USB port. I just tried it with IQ Cyo and the standlight came on for both voltage polarities. I could get the main light weakly working for one of the polarities off USB. Yes, obviously most power failures result from some mechanical connection problems.
Old 06-20-22, 04:58 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
I have checked dyno powered taillights with a Li Ion battery from my phone that is roughly 4 volts. That should not be any problem at all.

And as noted above, higher voltage should be ok. The headlight has more voltage protection than taillights, so I would not go above 6 volts on a taillight. USB voltage is 5, should be good enough to test to see if it lights up.
Old 06-21-22, 12:11 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Did you check the ground wire?
Old 06-24-22, 09:02 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
Most dynamo LED lamps will work straight off a DC source. Optimally this should be 6V, but those lamps normally tolerate significant voltage variations. I suspect that you could power your Edelux from a higher current USB port. I just tried it with IQ Cyo and the standlight came on for both voltage polarities. I could get the main light weakly working for one of the polarities off USB. Yes, obviously most power failures result from some mechanical connection problems.
I'm pretty sure they work off AC. Of course the light might rectify it so it is effectively DC, but it definitely tolerates AC. I believe most dynamo lights will tolerate DC but perhaps not all. I've been thinking of setting up a 5V system to power dynamo-type lights.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-24-22, 10:25 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by noglider
... I've been thinking of setting up a 5V system to power dynamo-type lights.
Try it first with just a light and some jumper wires. And after the light has been lit for several minuts to charge up the standlight, pull the plug and see how well the standlight works.

At 5 volt the lower voltage might reduce the standlight brightness and time. The lights I tested with 4 volt from a Li Ion battery had a very dim standlight.

I would not be surprised if the standlight only works with one polarity, not the other. So, if you do not get a standlight, try swapping the wires to reverse polarity.

Let us know how it worked.
Old 06-24-22, 01:31 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I'm pretty sure they work off AC. Of course the light might rectify it so it is effectively DC, but it definitely tolerates AC. I believe most dynamo lights will tolerate DC but perhaps not all. I've been thinking of setting up a 5V system to power dynamo-type lights.
I ran, so far, only into one dynamo light that would not work off DC, B&M Eyc. Interestingly, I was unable to run that light off 60Hz AC transformed down to the vicinity of 6V. The only source that it reacted to was a dynamo. I have no idea what is happening inside that light. Regarding other propositions that have been mentioned I essentially run B&M Cyo off two lithium batteries in series. There may be a protective diode somewhere there on the way, but it is a Schottky, i.e., just 0.2V or so drop.
Old 06-26-22, 03:48 PM
Tourist in MSN

I saw on a different forum that the Edelux light uses a magnetic switch, there is a magnet on the outside that pulls on another magnet inside the light to operate the switch. Not sure if that makes sense or not. But on the other forum, it was suggested to try using a stronger magnet to turn the light on and off.
Old 06-28-22, 01:10 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
There has to be someone in the Seattle area with a spare light. Probably someone with a spare dynohub wheel, but you don't need that if the hub is shown to work
Old 06-28-22, 11:38 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1827 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,573 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I saw on a different forum that the Edelux light uses a magnetic switch, there is a magnet on the outside that pulls on another magnet inside the light to operate the switch. Not sure if that makes sense or not. But on the other forum, it was suggested to try using a stronger magnet to turn the light on and off.
I recall Jan Heine mentioning that a reed switch was used. A reed switch closes in the presence of a suitable/sufficient magnetic field. It's the same sort of switch that is used for the sensor in many (probably all) bike computers that have a magnet mounted to the spokes.

It's unlikely that the magnet decreased in strength. For the rare earth magnets, it takes a huge external magnetic field to demagnetize them... or a very high temperature that would likely melt the plastic that the magnet is contained in.

Steve in Peoria