Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Hub Adjustment -- Need Three Hands

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-10, 08:02 AM
TromboneAl

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In overhauling my hubs yesterday, I had the following problem: I get the cone where I want it, but when holding the cone in position and tightening the lock nut, the axle moves. I fixed it by having my wife hold the other (locked) locknut in place, but is there a good way to do this without an extra person? Vise? Thanks.
Old 10-11-10, 08:11 AM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
hold the opposite side cone wrench between the knees
72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff

Old 10-11-10, 08:32 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
Hold it as well as you can and tighten it down -- it will probably be a little snug. Then put a cone wrench on each side of the hub and back the cones out against the locknuts to get the proper final adjustment.
Old 10-11-10, 09:02 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
An axle vise makes this job so much easier. It provides the needed third hand so you can use your other two for the cone and locknut wrenches.
Old 10-11-10, 09:11 AM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Lock the cone/locknut on one side tight. On the other side, set the bearing play to slightly tight and lock together the cone/locknut so they are snug but can still move together , then back off the cone until the bearing play is correct, then finish tightening the cone/locknut combo.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 10-11-10, 09:36 AM
SCROUDS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This sounds so much easier. I wound up using a little kentucky windage my first time around. A couple tries later and I got the hang of it. Locking down the axle seems like it would be easier.
Old 10-11-10, 09:39 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
In overhauling my hubs yesterday, I had the following problem: I get the cone where I want it, but when holding the cone in position and tightening the lock nut, the axle moves. ..is there a good way to do this without an extra person? Vise? Thanks.
I use a vise, when I have it. Lock one cone + locknut down, put that locknut ever so gently between the jaws of the vise, then do the other one.
Old 10-11-10, 09:46 AM
Bikewer

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I do what Hillrider does. First, I clamp the other side with a large pair of vise-grips, then hold the wheel on my lap with the vise-grips between my knees. Looks funny but works.
Old 10-11-10, 09:53 AM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikewer
I do what Hillrider does. First, I clamp the other side with a large pair of vise-grips, then hold the wheel on my lap with the vise-grips between my knees. Looks funny but works.
That's not what Hillrider said he does!
Old 10-11-10, 10:51 AM
canopus 

Bikes: Road, Touring, BMX, Cruisers...

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 111 Posts
Bench vise... Works wonders.
1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics
Old 10-11-10, 11:14 AM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Bench vise....

Anyone doing much bike work at all and that has even a modestly set up permanent shop really owes it to themselves to get a decent bench vise. The vise is your best friend with the third hand you'll ever have.

If you don't have a permanent bench setup and have to work out of a tool kit which has to be put away to clear the room to serve dinner then that's different and you're stuck with having to resort to oddball tricks such as holding a wrench or vise grips between your knees. But with foldable benches such as B&D Workmates and the like on the market there are better options than contortions to do this.
Old 10-11-10, 05:05 PM
reptilezs

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
freewheel hubs and front hubs dont usualy need an axle vise. clamp the lock nut in the vise then take the cone wrench and tighten the cone against the clamped nut. now adjust the hub from the other side
Old 10-11-10, 05:22 PM
surreal

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SCROUDS
This sounds so much easier. I wound up using a little kentucky windage my first time around. A couple tries later and I got the hang of it. Locking down the axle seems like it would be easier.
what is "kentucky windage"? Sounds awesome...

-rob
Old 10-11-10, 09:23 PM
SCROUDS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by surreal
what is "kentucky windage"? Sounds awesome...

-rob
That's basically adjusting what you do to what will happen. Kinda hard to explain, so let me give you an example. You have everything set up perfectly, but as you tighten the locknut, the axle backs the cone off 1/4 turn. So what you do is get everything perfect, then tighten up the cone 1/4 turn, then as you tighten down the lock nut, the alxe backs off its 1/4 turn and its now set perfectly. Of course its not that easy because if you tighten down the cone all the way, the alxe might not move the full 1/4 back. So you gotta play around till you get the right combination.
Old 10-11-10, 10:09 PM
Captain Blight

Bikes: -1973 Motobecane Mirage -197? Velosolex L'Etoile -'71 Raleigh Super Course

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I find it helps if I hold the tip of my tongue between my front teeth (or bite my lower lip slightly), hold my breath, and gaze at a point in the middle distance while I'm doing this. A slack-jawed blank stare is the proper expression to shoot for here. Half-vocalized mumblings of the self-questioning variety may or may not help but I do it anyway.

Barked knuckles are said to be optional but always seem to be included in my version.
Old 10-12-10, 06:41 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by Grand Bois
That's not what Hillrider said he does!
Absolutely right. An AXEL VISE is a specific bike tool that is clamped in a bench vise. They are not the same thing. A bench vise or Vise Grips used alone are an excellent way to damage the hub's axle threads.

....freewheel hubs and front hubs dont usualy need an axle vise. clamp the lock nut in the vise then take the cone wrench and tighten the cone against the clamped nut. now adjust the hub from the other side.
Sure an axle vise isn't essential but it sure makes the job easier and less awkward with no chance of damaging the axle threads or the locknut. Its a relatively low cost tool so there is really no need to avoid using the proper one.
Old 10-12-10, 07:31 AM
Bikewer

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Must have read someone else's post.... Anyway, you obviously don't clamp the vise-grips on the threaded portion of the axle... You put in on the fixed axle nuts. The ones you didn't loosen.

"Kentucky windage" is an old shooting term. Our ancestor's "Pennsylvania" and "Kentucky" rifles did not have adjustable sights. So, depending on conditions, one might have to aim not at the target itself, but at a point to one side or the other to compensate for wind.
Old 10-12-10, 08:18 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
On the road when I dont have a bench or axle vice I set the locknut to the cone finger tight with the cone a bit lose. I put one cone wrench on the OTHER (lets call it fixed) cone and on on the locknut, ie one wrench on each side of the wheel. I then tighten the locknut until the adjustment is about right.
THEN move the cone wrench back to the adjusting cone and tighten the locknut.
May have to move the wrench back to the fixed cone and tighten or losen the adjusting cone
Old 10-12-10, 04:03 PM
reptilezs

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HillRider
Sure an axle vise isn't essential but it sure makes the job easier and less awkward with no chance of damaging the axle threads or the locknut. Its a relatively low cost tool so there is really no need to avoid using the proper one.
i have not damaged one axle nut or threads yet all season. i assembled 1200 bikes this season. i do use an axle vise on hubs that have freehubs. its just faster to put the axle nut straight into the vice. the freewheels get removed for greasing then reinstalled, this provides access to the locknut and cone
Originally Posted by MichaelW
On the road when I dont have a bench or axle vice I set the locknut to the cone finger tight with the cone a bit lose. I put one cone wrench on the OTHER (lets call it fixed) cone and on on the locknut, ie one wrench on each side of the wheel. I then tighten the locknut until the adjustment is about right.
THEN move the cone wrench back to the adjusting cone and tighten the locknut.
May have to move the wrench back to the fixed cone and tighten or losen the adjusting cone
i use the park tool method on the road
Old 10-12-10, 07:36 PM
xenologer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Park tool method seconded.

Take your quick release skewer, take out the springs, then use it to clamp the locked up side of the axel onto the Outside of your non-drive-side drop out. Holds everything steady so you can use your remaining hands on the other cone.
Old 10-12-10, 09:25 PM
badamsjr
17yrold in 64yrold body

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a 'three wrench' method: I only loosen one side lock nut/cone. After cleaning/relubing, I hold the unloosened side with two wrenches (cone wrench and crescent usually). I adjust the cone on the other side, and then hold all three wrenches (two cone wrenches and crescent) while I tighten the lock nut on the 'loosened' side. It takes a little getting used to, but once you get a feel for it, it is pretty easy.
Old 10-12-10, 11:26 PM
theo3000

Bikes: All 80's steel. Merckx Colnago, Torpado

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you need a vise to adjust your hub, you're doing it wrong.
Old 10-13-10, 03:52 AM
reptilezs

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by theo3000
If you need a vise to adjust your hub, you're doing it wrong.
ok how do you do it right then
Old 10-13-10, 05:52 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I haven't done this in a while, but I used to manage without a vise. I'd line the two cone wrenches up and grab both through the spokes and tighten the cone with the other hand. I think that's what I did. It always took about 10 tries to get it right but that was part of the process. I still have those wheels 25 years later and they are fine but would need to be repacked if I wanted to use them.
Old 10-14-10, 04:32 PM
peripatetic

Bikes: All 70s and 80s, only steel.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BCRider
Bench vise....

Anyone doing much bike work at all and that has even a modestly set up permanent shop really owes it to themselves to get a decent bench vise. The vise is your best friend with the third hand you'll ever have.

If you don't have a permanent bench setup and have to work out of a tool kit which has to be put away to clear the room to serve dinner then that's different and you're stuck with having to resort to oddball tricks such as holding a wrench or vise grips between your knees. But with foldable benches such as B&D Workmates and the like on the market there are better options than contortions to do this.
Just push this thread back to the top, since I see this came up. Do you find these portable benches provide enough stability to get useful vise grips on them? Anyone have experience using one of these or similar for a portable but useful workbench to do bike-specific work?

Re: cone adjustment; + another one on the Parktool on-the-bike method. I used to fumble around a lot with two cone wrenches and two adjustable wrenches, but doing it all with a single cone wrench and adjustable wrench on one side is far easier and faster. It also makes it easy adding grease to the bearings for a quick and dirty re-pack while minimizing the chance of having bearings dropping out all over the place. (I also invested in a grease gun a while back, which marked a major improvement for me in greasing everything that wasn't my hands, pants and face.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.