Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Shipping to Canada pointers?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-22, 07:21 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,881 Times in 843 Posts

I am going to be shipping some mountain bike hubs to Canada anybody have suggestions or advice? Thanks
Old 04-16-22, 11:26 AM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
Good luck! Make sure that the couriers (any) don't touch the package. If they do, they'll charge all forms of bogus 'cross-border' charges such as 'import fees', 'sales taxes' etc, where no such duties or taxes exist, and hold your package ransom until you pay up (on some insecure sketchy website) in advance.

So for example you'll be charged a 'sales tax' on bike parts where these are exempt from provincial sales taxes. Try and fight this? Ha. Or you'll get charged at the highest possible rate of duties on any item in your package (such as a pair of socks) across the entire package content. Plus extortionist 'brokerage' fees.

Do the couriers submit this the appropriate share of this windfall to the federal and provincial tax authorities? Good question....
Likes For Dave Mayer:
Old 04-16-22, 11:33 AM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
Oops - I assumed you were posting from the perspective of a Canadian ordering something into Canada. When a Canadian receives a package from a courier with these excess charges, they refuse delivery from the courier, and initiate a refund process with the seller.
Old 04-16-22, 11:46 AM
xlbs
xlbs

Bikes: True North TI, Miyata 1000LT, Rodriguez tandem, Fontan vintage road, Sekine vintage road, Catrike recumbent

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
simple is good

US postal service. I have had good success when US sellers have sent their goods to me via US mail...
Likes For xlbs:
Old 04-16-22, 01:55 PM
jadmt

Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
Oops - I assumed you were posting from the perspective of a Canadian ordering something into Canada. When a Canadian receives a package from a courier with these excess charges, they refuse delivery from the courier, and initiate a refund process with the seller.
yes I am sending so want to make it easy for me and the person receiving the package.
Old 04-16-22, 01:57 PM
Chris Bamford

Bikes: 2021 Scott Speedster, 2001 Giant MTB

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by xlbs
US postal service. I have had good success when US sellers have sent their goods to me via US mail...
Agree. I often have smaller antique car parts shipped to me in Canada by USPS — the cost is reasonable and delivery time OK.
Old 04-17-22, 09:03 AM
jfouellette

Bikes: 1999 Bike friday NWT, 2009 Bike Friday Tikit, 2023 silverock Dewy, 2008 Dahon Smooth Hound, 2023 Litepro Trifold

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 139 Posts
Be careful using courrier service when shipping from the US to Canada. They add on multiple fees that sometimes are not needed. USPS is a good option and safe. I don’t buy often from US vendors because they use courriers and make shipping overpriced. It’s less expensive to buy from Europe and Asia even if the distance is greater. Also, buyers don’t always want items delivered ASAP. Waiting longer can lead to lower shipping cost.
Old 04-17-22, 09:13 AM
jadmt

sounds like usps works the best. looks like between $22-30 to send a 1lb padded envelope containing a set of hubs.
Old 04-17-22, 09:17 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3370 Post(s)
Liked 5,491 Times in 2,844 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
Good luck! Make sure that the couriers (any) don't touch the package. If they do, they'll charge all forms of bogus 'cross-border' charges such as 'import fees', 'sales taxes' etc, where no such duties or taxes exist, and hold your package ransom until you pay up (on some insecure sketchy website) in advance.
It has been some years back, but I've read horror stories involving cross-border shipments involving a well-known carrier that was not USPS, but shared 3 of the 4 letters in "USPS".

ETA: I just found I had a saved link about it: https://trueler.com/2010/09/13/ups-b...ting-avoid-it/