Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Why I like "crazyguyonabike"

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 05-04-16, 07:49 AM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 81 Posts

Not wanting to further hijack Siu's photo thread I though I'd start a new one to continue the Crazy Guy discussion.

I want to take a bike trip in Elbonia. First I searched Bike Forums but I got 278 hits on any thread that contained the vaguest mention of Elbonia buried somewhere in the thread. Most had nothing to do with travel in Elbonia.

Then I went to "Bikepacker's Magazine" to research the trip. A cluttered homepage of photos and I could barely distinguish the ad photos from the articles. A search turned up no info on travel in Elbonia.

Then I went to "The Radavist", another home page of photos. I tried to scroll to the bottom of the page but it just kept loading more and more photos on to infinity. Searched for Elbonia, again no results.

"Backpacking Light"? Another mish mash of photos mixed in with ads. Tried their search function to find info on Elbonia. It just linked me to Google. First hit? "357 Hotels in Elbonia"!

"donelreydotcom"? Just a personal blog with fine photos of 20 or so personal trips and not one was in Elbonia!

Then I found a web site called "crazyguyonabike". Wow! Not one ad on the homepage. On the top left I found "Journals by Locale".

Europe......click
Elbonia.....click

44 journals that include Elbonia without using a search function! Crazy Guy will forever be my number 1 resource for info on specific bike touring locales.
Old 05-04-16, 07:54 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
I will jump on this wagon!
We have been using AND supporting CGOAB for a few years. Friends who follow our journals really enjoy it.
Old 05-04-16, 07:55 AM
str

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 221 Posts
I don't know any country what is named ELBONIA? where is it? sure in EU?
Old 05-04-16, 07:57 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Originally Posted by str
Everyone knows that it's just east of Macaroni . . . .
Old 05-04-16, 08:02 AM
str

I found "Mallorca 2016" story, great island.

on page one I see 1 picture: https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/..._id=17739&v=2C
on page two I see 1 picture: https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/...id=458137&v=1D
on page three 1 map, 1 picture, 1 video: https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/...id=458138&v=18

is it my browser what does not show more pictures, or is it right that I have to click 5 pages to see aprox 8 pictures?
Old 05-04-16, 08:08 AM
BobG

Originally Posted by str
An imaginary country from the US comic strip "Dilbert"!

https://goo.gl/nPp4f9
Old 05-04-16, 08:10 AM
mantelclock
Senior Moment

Bikes: Velo Orange Campeur, 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by str
I found "Mallorca 2016" story, great island.

on page one I see 1 picture: https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/..._id=17739&v=2C
on page two I see 1 picture: https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/...id=458137&v=1D
on page three 1 map, 1 picture, 1 video: https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/...id=458138&v=18

is it my browser what does not show more pictures, or is it right that I have to click 5 pages to see aprox 8 pictures?
Crazyguy journals are not produced by professionals. They are produced by ordinary bicycle tourists like you and me. Some contain mostly pictures with very little text, while others are almost entirely text based. Some of the photography is weak by any standards while some ranks among the best that I have seen. The same goes for the writing. But there is no other site on the web where you can enter any location in the world and get information about that location from someone who has actually ridden a bicycle there.
Old 05-04-16, 08:21 AM
BobG

Homepage>Journals by Locale>Europe>Spain>search "Mallorca"= 22 hits. Very organized!
Old 05-04-16, 08:25 AM
str

Originally Posted by mantelclock
Crazyguy journals are not produced by professionals. They are produced by ordinary bicycle tourists like you and me. Some contain mostly pictures with very little text, while others are almost entirely text based. Some of the photography is weak by any standards while some ranks among the best that I have seen. The same goes for the writing. But there is no other site on the web where you can enter any location in the world and get information about that location from someone who has actually ridden a bicycle there.
I am happy to read, I am happy to view pictures ... but sorry, there is zero visual attraction there to make me want to read. and I don't want to click 26 pages, each page with a single picture. maybe deep inside there, there are some nice stories, for sure. but the surface is not inviting at all.
Old 05-04-16, 08:26 AM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 91 Posts
But finding things quickly and easily - and have pages load instantly rather than in 5 minutes is just so, so retro.
Old 05-04-16, 08:30 AM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
I got a flat in Elbonia...
Old 05-04-16, 08:35 AM
mantelclock
Senior Moment

Bikes: Velo Orange Campeur, 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by str
I am happy to read, I am happy to view pictures ... but sorry, there is zero visual attraction there to make me want to read. and I don't want to click 26 pages, each page with a single picture. maybe deep inside there, there are some nice stories, for sure. but the surface is not inviting at all.
Stephan,

I have looked a your website. It is beautiful. I thoroughly enjoyed the photographs and some of the writing. But having seen it, I have no reason to return to it. Crazyguy's format may be restrictive, but the content grows every day. To me, it is worth the effort to skim a few journals that really were not meant for mass consumption in order to find a gem that keeps me going back for the next installment.
Old 05-04-16, 08:42 AM
str

Originally Posted by mantelclock
Stephan,

I have looked a your website. It is beautiful. I thoroughly enjoyed the photographs and some of the writing. But having seen it, I have no reason to return to it. Crazyguy's format may be restrictive, but the content grows every day. To me, it is worth the effort to skim a few journals that really were not meant for mass consumption in order to find a gem that keeps me going back for the next installment.
i thought we are talking about about crazyguyweb. thanks for visiting "my" website, is not a encounter place for touring cyclists, its about photography, film, and digital. who comes, who goes, who does not come back ... its not important at all to me.
Old 05-04-16, 08:48 AM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Not to mention the underlying ideology of Crazyguy - -

Crazyguy represents the very best of the early optimism of the open-access web.
An electronic democracy that is rapidly disappearing under the weight of image and self-promotion.
The light yellow background and Times New Roman font are a small price to pay.

Esse quam videri
Old 05-04-16, 08:52 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by str
I am happy to read, I am happy to view pictures ... but sorry...
went to your signature address, scrolled down....chose one of the lower
options at random. bike touring in romania. okay, lotsa pretty pitchers.
yippee.

but where's the information? that's what i'm asking as i'm trying to research...
.....um....bike touring in romania.

how about the roads? what about the weather? hotel or guesthouse
availability? how far did you get in a day, any problems? what about
border crossings or dealing with locals?

i want some details that will help me plan my next tour.

hundreds and hundreds of hits for "romania" on crazy guy.
the first one loaded with photos and an interesting tale.

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/...id=317732&v=Aa
Old 05-04-16, 08:56 AM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Read? Who reads anymore??
What a total waste of time - especially if I have to read anything which challenges my current prejudices.
Where is Ray Bradbury when you really need him?
Old 05-04-16, 08:57 AM
wished

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I kind of accidentally found CGOAB a while back, and really love it. Sometimes I search specific locations or routes, sometimes I just randomly pick journals to read during a lunch break or something (kind of my escape from reality). In the past I bought several books through Amazon about bike travels, most are far better written than the journals on CGOAB but the key word is that I "bought" them instead of free journals. I love that it loads quickly, easy to search, no pop-ups, and a huge content. I do occasionally read other blogs but once I read them they are done, no need to return usually. Overall it's a great resource.

Elbonia? I think I watched a documentary about the country on Comedy Channel maybe?
Old 05-04-16, 09:00 AM
str

Originally Posted by saddlesores
went to your signature address, scrolled down....chose one of the lower
options at random. bike touring in romania. okay, lotsa pretty pitchers.
yippee.

but where's the information? that's what i'm asking as i'm trying to research...
.....um....bike touring in romania.

how about the roads? what about the weather? hotel or guesthouse
availability? how far did you get in a day, any problems? what about
border crossings or dealing with locals?

i want some details that will help me plan my next tour.

hundreds and hundreds of hits for "romania" on crazy guy.
the first one loaded with photos and an interesting tale.

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/...id=317732&v=Aa
what information?
"my" page is not a information center for touring cyclists, I plan my cycling myself, improvisation ... borders I cross with my passport.
weather comes as it comes, I can't change it. hotels and guesthouses I find on the road cycling, no planing before.

yes, probably there are hundreds and hundreds of hits around for Romania on there, for sure very helpful.
but its not about the content, its about the layout ...

I love pretty pitchers.
yippee.! ;()()

P.S. still wondering where that Elbonia country is, for that one I would need some reading ...
Old 05-04-16, 09:07 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Before I did the Pacific Coast route, I saw that there were two or three groups that were about one or two months ahead of me. Every day I looked at their latest postings to see what they were saying about the campsites, etc. I was very happy to have that resource available with timely information.

The website is not glossy and all postings are from volunteers, not glossy paid media types, so you get what you get and should not complain. I have been looking at it for where I go on my next trip, it is a very useful resource.

I have never posted a trip log there, but I might start some day.
Old 05-04-16, 09:08 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Not a big fan of CGOAB. First off, the name of the site is insulting to mentally challenged people. Plus it puts bicycle tourers in a bad light. Second, it is a vehicle for endless repetitive entries. I stayed with X person and had an awesome meal of Y. How many times can you read that? Third, I don't need to preview my trip. Just go and enjoy. Having said that, IF I planned to travel to Elbonia or some other equally obscure place, perhaps it would be a good resource. Not there yet. Still have to ride all the beaten paths first.

Last edited by alan s; 05-04-16 at 09:11 AM.
Old 05-04-16, 09:14 AM
BobG

Originally Posted by str
P.S. still wondering where that Elbonia country is, for that one I would need some reading ...
Just west of Notonamapistan, just east of Macaroni. Elbonia was just a tongue in cheek example of an obscure destination.

P.S. Your blog and photo's are outstanding, str. Some of the best I've seen on BF!
Old 05-04-16, 10:38 AM
BlarneyHammer

Bikes: Invictus, Valeria, Jackie, and Vanguard

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
If you like CGOAB, but think it needs an update, give PackJournal.com a try. A better look, a few added features (like a map of photos/journals, an offline-friendly app for journals, and charity fundraising), and it's built specifically for touring cyclists. And it's free and easy to use.
Old 05-04-16, 11:51 AM
BobG

I agree that Crazy Guy is not the perfect website for just viewing travel photos as requested by Siu in the Touring pics thread. Those sites linked to by str, Max, Blarney and others indeed provide high quality photos. I just don't agree that Crazy Guy is "poorly organized and user unfriendly", "outdated" or "difficult to navigate or use".

For example a few weeks back a forum member opened a thread asking for suggestions for a two week tour on the Great Divide. I replied with a trip suggestion that I had taken over 10 years previously and I couldn't remember it's exact duration. I went to CGOAB and quickly did this search...

Routes>N America>US>ACA>GDMBR= 92 hits

I quickly scanned the contents of several journals and was able to edit my reply regarding the estimated days of my suggested trip. Only because of the highly organized format of the site I was able to find that info in about 5 minutes.

I find the blog format to be the most awkward unless one starts to follow a trip on Day 1. Say a trip starts in May and I don't start following until August. Assuming the blog is organized by months, I then need to click back to May to start reading at Chapter 1. When I arrive at the May entry I then need to scroll, scroll, scroll all the way to the bottom of the page to read the first entry. I then have to scroll back up the page, but not too far, to read entry 2. I find the CGOAB format much more user friendly to navigate.
Old 05-04-16, 12:08 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by wished

Elbonia? I think I watched a documentary about the country on Comedy Channel maybe?
I'm pretty sure that same documentary discussed the relationship of Elbonia with its neighboring country, Freedonia (of course well known for its duck soup)

btw, I do appreciate Neil's work at Crazy Guy and I do use the site for planning tours not infrequently. Could it be purtier? Yea, but its functionality is what I appreciate. As to the photographic sites, fine, but I can see beautiful scenic shots anywhere on the web. It's all good.
Old 05-04-16, 12:10 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 952 Times in 783 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
Not a big fan of CGOAB. First off, the name of the site is insulting to mentally challenged people. Plus it puts bicycle tourers in a bad light. Second, it is a vehicle for endless repetitive entries. I stayed with X person and had an awesome meal of Y. How many times can you read that? Third, I don't need to preview my trip. Just go and enjoy. Having said that, IF I planned to travel to Elbonia or some other equally obscure place, perhaps it would be a good resource. Not there yet. Still have to ride all the beaten paths first.
oh I dunno, for me the name works because for any of us who have toured for a long time, you just know that's the view of us by some folks travelling by car.

I have two memories decades apart that fit this exactly, one coming up the west coast of France and repeatedly meeting a family travelling by car at those "lookout" spots at the side of the road, they obviously were taking long breaks at them as I was always catching up to them-but you could see in their eyes that I was a "crazy guy on a bike" working hard and carrying all that crap on my bike, and seeing them over and over (ok, maybe it was only twice or three times, but it was funny running into them again)
Twenty years or more later, biking from Montreal to Boston during a summer heat wave, pulling into a hardware store to ask for some new cold water from their tap, and a real friendly (and rotund) fellow behind the counter asked me about my trip after letting me fill my bottles from their water cooler, and then said, "Don't take this the wrong way, but why didn't you just drive your car?"

re the quality of CGOAB, sure it can be all over the place, but it certainly is a great resource for real world cyclists route info and other good tidbits of info about an area if one is interested in biking there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.