Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What to expect speed wise?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What to expect speed wise?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-18, 02:32 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
One of my riding friends is in his early 70s (I'm 60), and we're about the same height, weight and build -- 5'11" (he may be a smidge taller) and 155-160 lbs. I met him a couple of years ago during a large group ride and it took me about two years to match his conditioning. He still has more stamina than I do. He rides almost every day, including our recent 100+F solar furnace days. I ride only 3-5 times a week.

Last weekend we did a large group ride and on a long flat segment we were pacing each other at about 25 mph -- pretty good clip for two or three miles. We slowed way down when we turned into a head wind and just chattered for awhile. A couple of years ago I wouldn't have been able to keep up with him at that speed.

I found it pretty easy to cruise along at about 12 mph for 20-50 miles on my hybrid. Getting a little faster took a lot more work, disproportionate to results. When I seemed to top out at 14 mph and couldn't get any faster I got a drop bar road bike, just for the aero advantage.

I average 15-16 mph over distance on the road bike, but even that took a lot of effort -- interval training, a fairly methodical approach that can be painful if done by high intensity (HIIT) protocols. I limit my HIIT sessions to once a week now, sometimes only once every two weeks, and of relatively short overall duration -- around 30 minutes, including warm up and cool down. I overdid HIIT sessions last summer and it set me back a few months because I wasn't getting enough rest and nutrients to recover. Those hurt because I'm redlining, pushing until I'm dizzy and on the verge of nausea. But it helps. Not so much with maximum speed but in terms of quicker recovery from hard efforts -- for example, I no longer need to stop at the tops of hills to catch my breath. I can just ease up on the pedaling effort a bit and recover while riding. For me, that's a significant improvement.

Most of my interval training sessions now are more like the fartlek training favored by some long distance runners -- less formal, no specific pattern, duration or interval between higher efforts. I use the roller coaster terrain around my familiar routes to determine my efforts. I avoid redlining -- I don't want to go so hard that I'm dizzy or risking losing control. I need to stay in control and retain energy to watch for traffic, critters darting across the roads, etc. (My favorite rural route usually involves dodging at least one deer, rabbit, skunk, possum, armadillo or other varmint.)

I'm still far from fast, even by old dude standards. In any 50+ group of experienced riders, men and women, I'm usually the caboose, dragging the rear. But I'm less slow than I was a couple of years ago. That's good enough. For now. Subject to change at a moment's ambitious whim.

Nothing wrong with bike computers or doodads to check progress. I almost always record my rides on a phone, although I don't always mount it on the handlebar. Usually it's in my pocket. Only recently I got a cheap $12 wireless bike computer for my road bike, so I don't check my phone at all until I finish a ride. The handlebar mounted bike computer is lighter, with less aero drag and handy for quickly guesstimating my workouts, if I want a methodical approach for that day. But I haven't added bike computers to my hybrids. Those are for more leisurely rides, casual group rides with friends. I don't really need to know how fast, far, etc.
Old 07-25-18, 03:39 PM
Cassave

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by canerods
I’m 72 years old,160 lbs., and pretty good physical shape but only able to manage about 11-12 mph, working fairly hard, on a fairly flat paved bike way. It’s frustrating having so many riders easily passing and not being able to go a little faster. What should I expect speed wise under those conditions? I’m thinking about a road bike instead of this flat bar. I’m wondering if it’s me the old motor or the bike? Any thoughts on a different bike?
I'd start by thinking about the bike you have and how it fits you. A fairly common mistake with new riders is having the saddle adjusted too low. Saddle height should
allow your leg to nearly straighten with the ball of the foot over the pedal spindle. By nearly I mean about 10 to 15 degrees bend at the knee.
There are plenty of instructions available for getting a bike adjusted for maximum efficiency.
Old 07-25-18, 03:58 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Actually, the deal with a flat-bar bike is that often, not always, it is coupled with a more upright riding position. Depending on stem length and angle, and spacers, and bar shape, you can get anywhere from sitting bolt upright to crouched down almost like riding in the drops.

The idea that a bike will make you faster is a myth. Unless you are climbing steep hills, bike weight is not That important ... once you get it rolling it rolls. Aero will slow you some---more, the faster you go.

if your wheels are straight and true and your tires are properly inflated ... a new bike won't matter much unless you are looking at something a Lot lighter and more aero. Even with a flat-bar bike with sky-0high handlebars ... for short periods you can lay flat and reach up to the bars to get under the wind.

But .... I will always advocate for buying a new bike unless you already have three or four ... in which case you probably need one more.
Old 07-26-18, 12:03 PM
robertj298 

Bikes: 1983 Univega Super Strada, 1986 Panasonic DX5000, 1984 Fuji Team 85 Univega Gran Turismo, 1984 Lotus Unique, 1987 Centurion Expert, 1987 Centurion Ironman Master,

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by jackb
Get rid of the cycle computer and you will lose all concern for speed. Just ride and enjoy being outside on a bike. There is more to cycling than speed.
Exactly. If you focus too much on going fast you will miss the beauty that surrounds you along the way. I'm 64 years old and haven't been back riding that long. I probably average around 12 mph.
Could I exert myself to go faster and faster? Probably, but why? I'm not in a race, I like to enjoy things going on around me,
Old 07-26-18, 12:33 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
While speed isn't everything, it does seem to cool me effectively. It's been a relatively cool summer so far here with temps mid to low 90's instead of constantly bumping 100's as it sometimes does.

When I go out to ride, any time I'm less than around 12 - 14 mph I feel the heat. If I'm over 16 mph and sweating I am seldom bothered by the heat. So if you have high temp conditions that currently cause you to say it's too hot to ride, then maybe working on your speed training can get you faster and allow you to ride on days you'd otherwise say it's too hot.
Old 07-26-18, 01:01 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4410 Post(s)
Liked 4,521 Times in 3,023 Posts
I ride solo since I’m a misanthrope and I’m the only serious cyclist within miles. I rarely see any bikes one time I got passed by someone on a race bike I guess he was cruising at 17-20 mph but no way I was going to keep up on my slower gravel grinder. My first instinct was to ride faster which I did for about 5 minutes all psychological then I went back to normal cruising speed. I have 2003 Cannondale race bike in the garage I never ride it because the roads here are better suited for a cx style bike. I was thinking about getting a modern 11 speed build kit for the old Cannondale but my MTB and CX/Gravel bikes are better fit.
Old 07-27-18, 09:59 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
You should expect what you've been getting. Sorry that sounds flippant. Maybe your question is really, how can you improve your speed?

I had the same question. I use ridewithgps on my phone to track my riding. I hit START when I start riding and STOP when I stop. I tried to increase my average speed by pedaling a little harder. The result was that I would be more tired by the end of the ride, but I didn't manage to go faster. Then I read about high intensity interval training (HIIT). A burst of a minute or less, occasionally, builds strength better than pushing yourself a little harder over a distance. Not only that, it surprisingly builds endurance. Well, I didn't expect it.

ridewithgps provides many graphs, and this is the one that changed things for me. It shows me how much time I spent at each speed. I noticed I spent more time at 13 mph than at any other speed, and I spent hardly any time above 13 mph. I pedaled to keep my speed above 13. Now that I spend more time at 14 and 15 mph, riding seems easier than before, thanks to my added strength. And I seem to be faster than 90% of the cyclists on my route.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-27-18, 03:04 PM
canerods

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 1.9, Fuji Roubaix 1.3, Diamondback Wildwood Trail Bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The wealth of knowledge and experience in the replies to my original post are incredible indeed! So much to read and absorb... many thanks to each of you for your thoughtful input.
Old 07-28-18, 05:31 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
You get faster by riding faster, not by riding more hours or more miles.

It is the same with any other form of exercise. Weight lifters get stronger by lifting more weight, not by lifting the same weight more times. A pitcher learns to throw the ball faster by throwing the ball fast, not by throwing the ball more times. A runner doesn't get fast in the 100 meters by running marathons but by running 100 meters as fast as he can, over and over and over.

Parts can help and more miles are great to build endurance but if you want to get faster then ride faster. Do exercises which push you to go near or at your limit. Intervals, tempo or just riding hard will work. You should be breathing heavy and pouring sweat. "As they say, "Hit it hard."

Make sure your ou pay attention to recovery - lots of sleep, good nutrition, etc. Recovery takes much longer as we age.

-Tim-
Good post. I cant do the centuries and double centuries like other might do since I live in cold country but I do get out year round. My coldest rides are subzero and short. Neither do I have time for endless hours of bliss filled saddle time.

Being such, I do enjoy TT style riding where I grab one of my racers and hammer hard for 20-30 miles. Since moving to hill country I have 500-750+ feet of climbing even in short rides. Speed multiplies speed. Work at it and you will find a steady increase each season. Strava helps as does a journal.

It’s all good no matter how you pedal. It’s the next best thing to flying.

Old 07-29-18, 02:38 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I belong to a local club for people who are mostly in our age range and mostly pretty experienced riders. Rides are posted by speed range. We have riders in the club who ride faster, but 12 to 15 MPH is a pretty common pace.
Old 08-06-18, 05:24 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
Lots of excellent responses here. I am also 72 and about 10 lbs over weight at 187 lbs. I rode for years but then had an 8 year layoff. I returned to cycling at age 58. My first ride back on the bike was a disaster. I ended up walking up a hill I used to ride pretty well. On group rides I was the slowest rider and off the back on every ride. But, as the miles and seasons passed, I got a little stronger and a little wiser. I joined a local club about 10 years ago and, these days, I am a solid B rider. A typical ride for me would be about 30 miles, with 1800 ft. of climbing at approx. 14.5-15.5 mph. I have a 6.4 mi. TT that I did last year at 17.7 mph. My goal for this year was 18 mph and last month I hit 18.4 mph. In that TT is a flat Strava segment of .8 mi. I'm up to 24.4 mph on it. The two most important things I've learned are these.....Be patient with yourself. Progress will come but it may take time. And, as we all tend to say, enjoy the ride. Nothing is more important than getting off the bike after a ride and thinking "I'm looking forward to riding again." As an ex-college scholarship athlete I love statistical improvement. But, that's no longer why I ride. The French have a word ...suplesse. When you can ride with suplesse, the stats won't matter.