Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Groupset tiers and diminishing returns

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Groupset tiers and diminishing returns

Old 09-08-21, 03:28 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
Originally Posted by Branko D
Except the weight savings, the measurable (barely) benefits are in the bearing parts; a 105 rear derailleur has jockey wheels with bushings which are less efficient from the start and get worse with contamination, while Dura-ace run on sealed bearings. On the other hand, a cheap set of aftermarket Tacx ones are slightly better than both. Similarly, Dura-ace chains, Dura-ace bottom brackets and hubs (not a question raised, but). Bearing quality is a bigger performance gain than the few hundred grams of weight - but you don't need to pay for the full Dura-ace groupset to get that.

I couldn't actually detect a difference in shifting quality between R7000 105 and R9100 Dura-ace, both simply shift when you want them to, even under strain. For a cost / benefit perspective, 105 is ridicilously hard to beat, especially with a few cheap upgrades.

Perfect thanks! That's the way I was thinking, but didn't have any experience with Dura-Ace to know if there was perhaps a final significant step up to the top rung. But sounds like there isn't.

I think with any future builds I do with Shimano mechanical I will just stick with 105, with perhaps a few minor bearing upgrades as the originals wear like you mentioned (was already thinking of upgrading the jockey wheels on my 105 after 2 years use).
For Shimano electronic I would go with Ultegra as of course there is no 105 level (yet). Sram I would probably go with Rival for much the same reason. Campag I would go with Chorus.

But as per my other thread about 1x drivetrains, I'm now pretty sold on using Campag Ekar for this particular build.

The only reason I considered this bike build to be "money no object" was because I've never taken this approach to building a new bike before. I've always just hunted around in the end of season sales for a bargain and this time wanted to build something up without any real compromise. But that doesn't mean blinging it up on every single component just for the hell of it! For example, things like £1500 Ceramic Speed OSPWs don't interest me in the slightest as there is no real world benefit to me (or probably anyone else for that matter!). Some other things are more debatable like groupset choice.

I might start a new thread with my full bike build, but then again after this thread I might not!

Cheers,
Pete
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 09-08-21, 03:37 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I might start a new thread with my full bike build, but then again after this thread I might not!

Cheers,
Pete
No way. Do it. Always cool to see how people approach solving a bike build: an eminently simple things with so many options.
Old 09-08-21, 05:40 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger6
The issue of durability was raised well before I replied to it. I’d slightly reorder the ranking you offered to read 2, 3, 1…and I’d not even worry about 4 and 5. Wait, that’s how I do it now.
There's durability and there's robustness (for lack of another word). BTW, it wasn't meant to be a ranking of importance; each individual has their own. Kinda imagine those tire comparison graphics.. eg. money no object, which tire below is better?

Old 09-08-21, 05:46 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
There's durability and there's robustness (for lack of another word).
If ‘money is no object,’ you don’t worry about maintenance and repair costs.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-08-21, 05:49 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
You are allowed to worry about time spent without a functioning bike, during a race or otherwise in the case of damage (or these days, finding parts). But I suppose then you'll say that money no object, have 2 or 3 identically setup bikes, and pay for a support van to travel behind you on rides, etc?
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 09-08-21, 07:00 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
When I built my first Workswell (a Cervelo R-series clone) which was also my first all-CF bike, I didn't let cost hinder me, but I did try to determine what was killer and what was overkill.

I went with Ultegra but back then you could get full Ultegra group sets from England for less than Tiagra costs now. I didn't do the Zipp wheels or the Boyd wheels because I figured for my riding, Vueltas would be Almost as light and plenty strong for one-fifth the price. (I am still riding those wheels though eventually I will have to replace the bearings.) I chose generic CF cockpit parts because no matter what anyone tells me, Thompson Elite or Zipp Service Course Cannot be light-years more advanced than the generic knock-offs----we are talking seat posts (basic CF tube) and stems (relatively simple shapes with exceedingly simple functions. (And actually, I guess Kalloy Uno metal stems are just as light and strong and even cheaper .... )) I went with Toseek knock-off aero bars, despite everyone telling me all that stuff would asplode and kill me ..... It cracks me up that a week ago i saw those same bars being recommended on another "cost is not the prime concern" build in a different post.

It isn't just what is "The Best." Some stuff might convey certain advantages but at performance levels or load demands I will never reach.

And @PeteHski, if you think this thread was (and still can be) beyond ridiculous, you should look at some of the debates over carbon frames and forks from six or seven years back. Fork threads were especially stupid, as CF forks had already been around for 30 years .... but once this crew found out, we were all warned repeatedly that CF forks were killers, and we were all going to die when our forks asploded for no reason on high-speed downhills.

Or for a little fun, go look up the early debates on disc brakes, which, it was scientifically proven, were going to amputate all the limbs of all the riders in all the bike races around the world. No, seriously, disc brakes cutting people open was a real debate issue for months here on BF. And of course, the people who knew the most were the people who never had and never would use discs.

Yeah ... start a build thread .... if you are up for it ... but I can tell you from the outset that you are using the wrong barrel adjusters and that head-tube top-cap is going to asplode and kill you. And I know I am correct because I have the ultimate proof---I wrote it on BF.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-08-21, 07:00 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
But I suppose then you'll say that money no object, have 2 or 3 identically setup bikes, and pay for a support van to travel behind you on rides, etc?
OK... this is a bit over the top.

The best way to get the most out of your bike is to learn to maintain it yourself. Regular cleaning and maintenance will give you the best and most enjoyable experience. I keep spare parts so when I need them i have them. Tires, chains, brake pads and tubes. I actually purchased replacement chainrings and cassette for when they are needed since I have lots of miles on my bike.
Old 09-08-21, 12:47 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Maelochs

And @PeteHski, if you think this thread was (and still can be) beyond ridiculous, you should look at some of the debates over carbon frames and forks from six or seven years back. Fork threads were especially stupid, as CF forks had already been around for 30 years .... but once this crew found out, we were all warned repeatedly that CF forks were killers, and we were all going to die when our forks asploded for no reason on high-speed downhills.

Or for a little fun, go look up the early debates on disc brakes, which, it was scientifically proven, were going to amputate all the limbs of all the riders in all the bike races around the world. No, seriously, disc brakes cutting people open was a real debate issue for months here on BF. And of course, the people who knew the most were the people who never had and never would use discs.

Yeah ... start a build thread .... if you are up for it ... but I can tell you from the outset that you are using the wrong barrel adjusters and that head-tube top-cap is going to asplode and kill you. And I know I am correct because I have the ultimate proof---I wrote it on BF.
Great post! I can see a build thread would be entertaining. Especially the build I have in mind. Should be trolltastic!
Old 09-08-21, 01:09 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,852 Times in 6,069 Posts
Maybe not COST, but you can still worry about how much time it spends not running.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 09-08-21, 01:19 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts

You don't pay top dollar for a PITA.

And enough with the OP didn't literally mean money was no object. It was a pointless pedantic nitpick the first 726 times you said it.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-08-21, 01:42 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by livedarklions
You don't pay top dollar for a PITA.
You'd think that, but then you read about just what a PITA supercars like the Lamborghini Countach are, and you wonder about rich people.

And enough with the OP didn't literally mean money was no object. It was a pointless pedantic nitpick the first 726 times you said it.
I bet if he had to do all over again, the OP would choose a different phrase. It would eliminate at least half the posts on the thread.

Old 09-08-21, 01:48 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by genejockey
You'd think that, but then you read about just what a PITA supercars like the Lamborghini Countach are, and you wonder about rich people.

I bet if he had to do all over again, the OP would choose a different phrase. It would eliminate at least half the posts on the thread.

Wouldn't matter. These people would find something else to nitpick.

As to the Lambo being a PITA, it's still a status symbol billboard which might outweigh the PITA aspect. Your groupset? That's missing the billboard aspect.

Last edited by livedarklions; 09-08-21 at 01:51 PM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-08-21, 01:49 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
There's durability and there's robustness (for lack of another word). BTW, it wasn't meant to be a ranking of importance; each individual has their own. Kinda imagine those tire comparison graphics.. eg. money no object, which tire below is better?
No doubt each has their own ranking, and no ordering is really wrong...so long as the criteria fit the person's needs.
Likes For Badger6:
Old 09-08-21, 01:52 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3653 Post(s)
Liked 5,391 Times in 2,736 Posts
Yep, that was unfortunate. Looking forward to the build thread and hopefully it will be titled "Bang for the Buck" or similar.
Old 09-08-21, 01:53 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Yep, that was unfortunate. Looking forward to the build thread and hopefully it will be titled "Bang for the Buck" or similar.

Then 75 posts on how the bike doesn't go bang.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-08-21, 01:57 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Then 75 posts on how the bike doesn't go bang.
I distinctly remember at least one of my bikes going bang. Unnoticed hole in the rim strip. I fixed an unexplained flat with a new tube, pumped up the tire, put the bike back in its place against the wall, and started doing something else.

*BANG!*

Scared the crap outta me! The previously unexplained flat became an explained flat.

Tubes were about $4 then, so it was a pretty big bang for 4 bucks.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-08-21, 02:03 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I distinctly remember at least one of my bikes going bang. Unnoticed hole in the rim strip. I fixed an unexplained flat with a new tube, pumped up the tire, put the bike back in its place against the wall, and started doing something else.

*BANG!*

Scared the crap outta me! The previously unexplained flat became an explained flat.

Tubes were about $4 then, so it was a pretty big bang for 4 bucks.
In the case of tires, we actually pay bucks for the unbang.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-08-21, 02:09 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,283 Times in 2,941 Posts
Actually, it was the OP who brought it up again. Maybe he should quit using the phrase if he doesn't mean it?

Post #152
The only reason I considered this bike build to be "money no object" was because ...
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-08-21, 05:42 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Actually, it was the OP who brought it up again. Maybe he should quit using the phrase if he doesn't mean it?

Post #152

No one ever really means it. It's a figure of speech. It literally means one would pay infinity dollars, which is never true. Are you saying the phrase should never be used? He's explained how he's using the term several times, but you guys want to act like you've uncovered some sort of crime here. It's a really childish display of crappy "gotcha".

​​​​​​Really, the horse died about a zillion posts ago, stop beating it. He can use the phrase as he likes. And I know, there's no actual dead horse.

Last edited by livedarklions; 09-08-21 at 05:51 PM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-08-21, 06:01 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,283 Times in 2,941 Posts
No one ever really means it. It's a figure of speech. It literally means one would pay infinity dollars, which is never true.
You're the only one who seems to think that's what it means. The rest of us, including the OP and the dictionaries, don't agree with that definition.

Are you saying the phrase should never be used? He's explained how he's using the term several times, but you guys want to act like you've uncovered some sort of crime here. It's a really childish display of crappy "gotcha".
I don't care if he uses the term or not. But, it's probably not in his best interest to keep using it in a way that isn't consistent with its accepted meaning.

​​​​​​Really, the horse died about a zillion posts ago, stop beating it. He can use the phrase as he likes. And I know, there's no actual dead horse.
I'm not beating it at all. I simply pointed out that it is the OP that brought the term back into the thread, not the person you criticized.
Old 09-08-21, 06:59 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
You're the only one who seems to think that's what it means. The rest of us, including the OP and the dictionaries, don't agree with that definition.

I don't care if he uses the term or not. But, it's probably not in his best interest to keep using it in a way that isn't consistent with its accepted meaning.

I'm not beating it at all. I simply pointed out that it is the OP that brought the term back into the thread, not the person you criticized.

I stand corrected. There's no horse, but there's plenty of horses' asses.
"No object" means that there's no figure too high. The literal meaning is definitely not possible, the dictionaries are not refuting that, they're describing usage. The usage is pretty much the same as "the sky's the limit" . Do you guys go nuts like this when someone uses that phrase? You know that someone isn't actually piling money to the sky, right?

How about "pulling out all the stops" ? Also, pretty much a synonym, yet they aren't actually talking about pipe organs.

BTW, his usage is completely consistent with the dictionary usage, it's simply an implied condition --if there's a difference that he'll be able to appreciate, then money is no object. He knows it's more expensive, he's asking if people have actually noticed an appreciable difference in quality. Why this obvious point seems to be going over your collective heads is beyond me. It's a perfectly reasonable way to put the question.

Self-appointed word police drive me crazy. They always get it wrong.
Old 09-08-21, 07:40 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
If we changed all the names and showed all the posters this thread a few months from now, most of them would say, " What a bunch of petty, nit-picking donkeyholes. Those folks all need to get lives."

But this is what makes BF keep rolling along ....

At least there is some actual humor in this thread. Thanks for those who contributed ..... even if, perhaps, unwittingly .....
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-08-21, 08:44 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Perfect thanks! That's the way I was thinking, but didn't have any experience with Dura-Ace to know if there was perhaps a final significant step up to the top rung. But sounds like there isn't.

I think with any future builds I do with Shimano mechanical I will just stick with 105, with perhaps a few minor bearing upgrades as the originals wear like you mentioned (was already thinking of upgrading the jockey wheels on my 105 after 2 years use).
For Shimano electronic I would go with Ultegra as of course there is no 105 level (yet). Sram I would probably go with Rival for much the same reason. Campag I would go with Chorus.

But as per my other thread about 1x drivetrains, I'm now pretty sold on using Campag Ekar for this particular build.

The only reason I considered this bike build to be "money no object" was because I've never taken this approach to building a new bike before. I've always just hunted around in the end of season sales for a bargain and this time wanted to build something up without any real compromise. But that doesn't mean blinging it up on every single component just for the hell of it! For example, things like £1500 Ceramic Speed OSPWs don't interest me in the slightest as there is no real world benefit to me (or probably anyone else for that matter!). Some other things are more debatable like groupset choice.

Cheers,
Pete
The below only appears to apply to cranksets, but it is relevant to your concerns about lighter being not as robust.

https://www.bikeforums.net/22132065-post11.html

Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Just to clarify my above post. Ultegra and DA are made from two clams shells that are glued/bonded together. Those are the ones that break from fatigue. 105 also has hollow arms and spindle, but is not bonded. Its made with hollow forged arms, that are a bit heavier but, to my knowledge, wont break. That would be my pick. Tiagra is made with solid arms and a hollow spindle. It wont break but is heavy, but fairly relatively inepensive.

EDIT: Its all in here.

https://youtu.be/FkEkQV-zK0s
Likes For ColonelSanders:
Old 09-08-21, 11:13 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4244 Post(s)
Liked 1,346 Times in 934 Posts
No one ever really means it. It's a figure of speech. It literally means one would pay infinity dollars, which is never true.
Self-appointed word police drive me crazy. They always get it wrong.

Yes, you are wrong here.

No, it doesn't mean "one would pay infinity dollars" because that's just stupid.
Old 09-09-21, 03:21 AM
PeteHski

This is true. I didn't realise how fragile some people are around here.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.