Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Creaking seat

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Creaking seat

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-21, 09:43 AM
pennpaul

Bikes: Diamondback Haanjo Trail, Fuji Team Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 46 Posts
Creaking seat

I know it's been asked but there have been so many threads, I can't sift through all of them. My saddle is creaking after I finally got it dialed in just right, but I can't take the creaking. The saddle rails are CrMo. How do I fix this for good?

Thanks,
Paul
Old 10-16-21, 09:53 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Are you sure it's the saddle and not the seapost creaking? I thought my bottom bracket was creaking, but it turned out that regreasing the seat post eliminated the annoying creak.
Likes For Chuckles1:
Old 10-16-21, 07:46 PM
pennpaul

Originally Posted by Chuckles1
Are you sure it's the saddle and not the seapost creaking? I thought my bottom bracket was creaking, but it turned out that regreasing the seat post eliminated the annoying creak.
Hmmm...good point, no. I guess I can ride around with a phone recording sound in both area to figure it out.

Really, though, grease the seatpost?
Old 10-16-21, 08:18 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
The best final solution for this sort of stuff is a take apart, cleaning of contact surfaces and reassembly with grease, lubes, anti seize. The challenge is to avoid the thinking that your initial assumptions are what is going on. Any clamped or joining parts of a component can be the cause. Start with the easy stuff first but don't be surprised if you find that some other assembly is the source. Andy
Old 10-16-21, 08:22 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Clean and grease EVERYTHING...post in the frame, if it's a carbon frame and/or post use carbon paste. Clean and grease every bolt and place where parts touch. Saddle rails, post clamps...everything. Then make sure you get that **** tight.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 10-17-21, 01:33 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Another possible issue with the seatpost is that it can creak if it goes down really far inside of the seat tube. My saddles are set a little lower than average and I've had a couple of really long posts that needed to be cut down a few inches to stop creaking.
Likes For Lazyass:
Old 10-17-21, 08:57 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by pennpaul
Really, though, grease the seatpost?
Yes, seat post should be greased if non-carbon frame. If not greased, it could seize and be difficult to remove or adjust in the future. The grease should be wiped off and renewed with fresh grease periodically, like when it starts creaking. Also note good advice from other respondents. I'll bet you a nickel it's the seat post creaking.
Likes For Chuckles1:
Old 10-17-21, 04:26 PM
pennpaul

Originally Posted by Chuckles1
I'll bet you a nickel it's the seat post creaking.
Where do I send the money? Some grease on the seatpost fixed it.

Thanks
Paul
Likes For pennpaul:
Old 10-17-21, 10:46 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
A good lesson folks, metal on metal contact does require grease or anti seize compounds and proper torque. You will be amazed at the noises you don't here when everything is put together correctly and you really don't need much and don't need to get super fancy a simple tube of grease (Phil Wood is my fave) or Anti Seize (Park's stuff is nice because it is silver and tends to match better with my ti bikes) and a good torque wrench (even an Park ATD-1 or CDI TorqControl would work). You can even buy tubs of grease or anti seize from automotive places pretty cheap if that is your jam. Also every once and a while especially on a well used bike pull components out and clean and re-grease to prevent any corrosion and check all of your parts and re-torque them. Never a bad idea and could save you down the line.