Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Your "go-to" ride

Old 10-22-21, 11:05 PM
shrtdstncrdr

Bikes: Trek Millennia, Trek 400, Raleigh Superbe, Giant OCR3, Bianchi Milano

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
Yes there are two paths I can by, but in the long ride, there's still time to change the road I'm on...

There's a MUP half a mile from my house which seems to be stretching further in several directions every few years. There's also the Lake Wobegon trail from which I start in a little town called St Joseph and head west for Avon and Albany. If I start at Albany I can go north to within walking distance of a farm I used to own.
Old 10-23-21, 04:39 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Go-to route includes a couple of 5-mile loops, one running north/south, the other about 5 miles away running west/east. So a round trip gets me 20-25 miles and a decent workout with lots of short, steep rollers and a few fairly flat segments, with around 1,500-2,000 feet elevation gain IIRC, depending on whether I add another 5 mile loop with a steeper, more continuous climb. Mostly access roads with little traffic.

Go-to bike seems to be my 1989 Centurion Ironman, with more than 10,000 miles since 2017. The other road bikes have about 2,000 miles each, and my favorite hybrid about 8,000+ miles. But I haven't ridden the Ironman much recently, as I'm tweaking a Diamondback Podium trying to get the fit and components to suit me. The Ironman is always comfortable so it doesn't need much work.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 10-23-21, 06:14 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 206 Posts
Depending on the mileage desired, my 'go to' ride involves a loop or two around Shelter Island, Harbor Island and\or Fiesta Island.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Likes For Nachoman:
Old 10-23-21, 07:20 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 269 Posts
A quick 23-mile ride close to home.

Likes For johnnyace:
Old 10-23-21, 08:32 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked 768 Times in 491 Posts
The river and creek bike trails around DFW which eliminate the risk of accidents with cars.
Next are roads with nice wide bike lanes, especially if marked as such.
I try to stay off the roads as much as possible since I ride too aggressive and dont like stop signs or lights.
Likes For joesch:
Old 10-23-21, 08:41 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
I live adjacent to a no-commercial zone city called La Habra Heights and the Puente Hills that have multiple hill climbs ranging from 1/4 - 2 miles.

There are dozens of variations that I can use ranging from 15 to 60 miles with 100+ feet of climb per mile. My "Go To" rides are right outside my door.

If I want something longer, I am a 20 minute drive to the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains that offer Cat HC, 1 and 2 climbs.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 10-23-21, 09:41 AM
Airfehr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 48 Posts
My go to on my fat bike is this place. https://www.nps.gov/tusk/index.htm I have a 15 mile loop I ride a couple days a week. With the national wildlife range next door trail options are endless. On a fat bike who needs trails. Not bad for my back yard.

On the skinny bike I have a bike paved path system close by. Connecting with other paths making for some lengthy options. I have done a couple century rides on this system but typically it's just a quick 30 miler. There are several pubs along the first few miles. Did some bicycle bar hopping last night.
Likes For Airfehr:
Old 10-23-21, 04:07 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 4,715 Times in 2,911 Posts
Out of my door I can ride straight into the Cotswold hills on numerous country lanes or head off-road for some forest singletrack.

Likes For PeteHski:
Old 10-23-21, 04:15 PM
kahn

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Out of my door I can ride straight into the Cotswold hills on numerous country lanes or head off-road for some forest singletrack.

Is that your estate in the middle of the picture?
Old 10-23-21, 05:15 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by kahn
Is that your estate in the middle of the picture?
Ha, ha, no. Ours is a little more modest. But we do have a direct view over Stowe House from our back garden:-

There are some nice bike paths around there too, which we can ride in the evenings when the gardens are shut to the public.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 10-23-21, 05:58 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 269 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
That is absolutely stunning, gorgeous. Did you take this photograph? If so, my complements.

Oh, and I like your cheese (Cotswold).
Likes For johnnyace:
Old 10-23-21, 08:20 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,827 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
On an afternoon ride the hang gliders may be landing along the way to Issaquah.
Closest city to reach from home.
Least hilly route.
About 20 miles.
Can handle the terrain with the vintage gearing on most of my bikes.
And there is more to look at.
How busy is the traffic on May Valley Rd? Much of a shoulder. How about gravel trucks and semis? Do you ride on weekends or week days? Thanks

Old 10-23-21, 08:27 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by Nachoman
Depending on the mileage desired, my 'go to' ride involves a loop or two around Shelter Island, Harbor Island and\or Fiesta Island.
I lived on SI as a kid for a couplafew years in the late 1960s-early '70s. Rode my bike all around, including the Mashomack forest where I worked as a dishwasher for the private club's restaurant. I was a transplant, not a harelegger.

I've always intended to go back for a visit and bike ride. At this point it's becoming a bucket list box to check off.

Fishing was great back then too. Not sure whether it still is.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 10-23-21, 08:27 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,827 Posts
Originally Posted by kahn
Two go-to's! Both loops have nice water views and 700 to 1,100 feet of gain.

An about 15 mile loop from home to Golden Gardens Park on Puget Sound with variations on the way home.

23 mile loop along the Ship Canal, through Discovery Park, along Magnolia Bluff (really, Capt Vancouver did not know Madrone trees back then) and then through Myrtle Edwards Park, and home via Seattle Center and the Space Needle.
Sounds like a tour of Seattle’s best sights.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 10-23-21, 08:33 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
For me its right off the end of my driveway. Short 5-7 mile ride, no traffic, country air, lots of trees, watch out for the deer, and most of the asphalt just torn up enough to keep your attention.

Last edited by zandoval; 10-23-21 at 08:40 PM.
Likes For zandoval:
Old 10-23-21, 08:35 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by joesch
The river and creek bike trails around DFW which eliminate the risk of accidents with cars.
Next are roads with nice wide bike lanes, especially if marked as such.
I try to stay off the roads as much as possible since I ride too aggressive and dont like stop signs or lights.
There are some good routes west of Fort Worth with lightly traveled access roads in good condition. Biggest risk is from deer and critters riding in the dark. I mostly ride at night so I have plenty of lights.

Check out the Montserrat loop around 820 on the west side, running from Chapin Road on the north end to Aledo Road on the south end, then looping back toward Chapin. Some folks ride Aledo Road down to the trails in Benbrook.

From there I usually ride west on the old Camp Bowie Blvd W/Hwy 580, and follow the access roads along I-30 out as far as I feel like going, sometimes to Weatherford.

There are a few highway traffic merges to watch for. And a few traffic light intersections and frequent access road maintenance the past year, especially around Willow Park and Hudson Oaks.

Overall a pretty good semi-rural route with plenty of rollers, not as flat as the Trinity Trails.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 10-23-21, 09:03 PM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
when you're not sure where to go ride, where do you go? what's your "old-faithful" ride that is always a good idea? and why is that ride so dependable?

for me, it's a paved trail, a short drive from home, I can ride 2 hrs easy, it's safe, near services, including rest rooms & food afterwards, has some visually & socially pleasing highlights
What's weird is that if i don't have to ride (which means commute by bike), i never go to ride.
But i'm not sure why... Maybe there's some anxiety to be outside there among cars?
I envy you for that attitude, to go out and just ride..
Likes For holytrousers:
Old 10-23-21, 09:19 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
Columbia River Gorge Historic Highway, to Crown Point and back is the backbone of many rides. Options off the highway for more miles and climbing. Partial climb up Larch Mountain if even more time. Full Larch for a long grade. Making it a loop via Bull Run. Extend it to Cascade Locks for a full day ride.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 10-24-21, 06:16 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by holytrousers
What's weird is that if i don't have to ride (which means commute by bike), i never go to ride.
But i'm not sure why... Maybe there's some anxiety to be outside there among cars?
I envy you for that attitude, to go out and just ride..
oh well, I don't bike commute anymore, but I hear ya. for you it's a necessity. for me it's an escape from everything
Old 10-24-21, 06:50 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I lived on SI as a kid for a couplafew years in the late 1960s-early '70s. Rode my bike all around, including the Mashomack forest where I worked as a dishwasher for the private club's restaurant. I was a transplant, not a harelegger.

I've always intended to go back for a visit and bike ride. At this point it's becoming a bucket list box to check off.

Fishing was great back then too. Not sure whether it still is.
Probably a different Shelter Island.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 10-24-21, 07:05 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked 768 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
There are some good routes west of Fort Worth with lightly traveled access roads in good condition. Biggest risk is from deer and critters riding in the dark. I mostly ride at night so I have plenty of lights.

Check out the Montserrat loop around 820 on the west side, running from Chapin Road on the north end to Aledo Road on the south end, then looping back toward Chapin. Some folks ride Aledo Road down to the trails in Benbrook.

From there I usually ride west on the old Camp Bowie Blvd W/Hwy 580, and follow the access roads along I-30 out as far as I feel like going, sometimes to Weatherford.

There are a few highway traffic merges to watch for. And a few traffic light intersections and frequent access road maintenance the past year, especially around Willow Park and Hudson Oaks.

Overall a pretty good semi-rural route with plenty of rollers, not as flat as the Trinity Trails.
FW Trinity river trails are my "go-to" gravel trails. Hundreds of miles of choices. Did 50 yesterday.
I use my Surly SS which is geared large and fine for these mostly flat trails.
Will take one of my road bikes to checkout the routes you recommend as the roads around Dallas are pretty busy.
My goto Dallas ride is White Rock lake and I take the bike trails from Plano area south to WR.
Old 10-24-21, 08:37 AM
kahn

Originally Posted by rsbob
Sounds like a tour of Seattle’s best sights.
I tend to think so. Over and over again!

My friend likes to shake things up using the Interurban Trail up toward Shoreline Costco. Frankly, it is not my favorite ride even though generally traffic free. It is flat (sometimes nice) but there are no water views. It does contain two interesting bridges over arterial streets BUT the other day we found them closed forcing us to street level at major traffic intersections. Reason: VANDALISM. The glass art panels were destroyed. And far from "cheap" spray paint vandalism.

I know the bikies in the video.

https://www.q13fox.com/news/vandal-c...reline-bridges
Old 10-24-21, 08:42 AM
kahn

How busy is the traffic on May Valley Rd? Much of a shoulder. How about gravel trucks and semis? Do you ride on weekends or week days? Thanks
I did it years ago (while I worked in Renton) and it was pretty awful. Lots of blind (right bearing) curves, no real shoulder and, yup, BIG trucks. Maybe it has changed. I would not like riding the road to the Chirico Trail for Poo Poo Point (hang glider central!) - too much traffic.
Likes For kahn:
Old 10-24-21, 09:33 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 2,206 Posts
May Valley Road has no shoulders on 90+% of its’ length. You just get used to it and trust the 35 mph limit and winding road keep vehicles under some control.
Loaded gravel trucks exceed the weight limit and you don’t see many unloaded. Auto traffic is variable and only consistent at school&commute hours. I ride any time and any day, inured to the downsides.

I also ride Issaquah Hobart Rd, Coal Creek Parkway, parts of Hwy900, etc.

Made the decision a couple of years back not to worry about traffic.

Last edited by Wildwood; 10-24-21 at 11:27 AM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 10-24-21, 10:04 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by johnnyace
That is absolutely stunning, gorgeous. Did you take this photograph? If so, my complements.

Oh, and I like your cheese (Cotswold).
No, it's just a stock photo. But we are lucky to get that kind of view and lighting quite often. It's a pretty area for sure. I've travelled extensively, but I always find a sense of peace and tranquility coming back to this area that I've very rarely seen elsewhere. It's not the most breathtaking scenery by a long way, but it is very relaxing and makes for some great cycling.
Likes For PeteHski:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.