Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tarmac SL6 vs SL7

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tarmac SL6 vs SL7

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-21, 11:46 AM
Ek21

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Tarmac SL6 vs SL7

I recall that the initial reviews by critics were split; some considered 7 to edge out 6, whereas some preferred the more subtle and less stiff ride of the 6.

I would love to hear some reviews after long time use, if anyone in the forums are in a position to do so. Did you quickly grew accustomed to the 7 and the memory of the pros with the 6 faded away, or are you longing back to the predecessor?

I am riding the SL6 Tarmac Pro and just by reading, it still seems like the right choice to me but a mechanic in my local bike shop said “that’s what they all say before they try the SL7”. 😂
Old 08-14-21, 09:07 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
I own both. A rim brake (direct mount) equipped SL6, and an SL7. The SL6 was built up from a “pro” frame using Ultegra Di2 and DT Swiss AERC 1400 wheels, the SL7 was purchased as an “expert” with C38 wheels and I added Di2 shifting and a Quarq DFour power meter riding on a Quarq DUB crank.

I like riding the SL6 on longer training rides that are generally in the Z2 endurance mode. The SL7 is MUCH preferred for intervals. The SL7 Sems stiffer and the inputs seem like they are instantly transferred. But, the SL6 is no slouch either. I’ve ridden both on numerous imperial century length rides, and I honestly can’t really state that there is a measurable difference between them…beyond that the SL6 has rim brakes, and it weighs 1kg more. Unless you really want an SL7, I think you’ll be underwhelmed. It’s a great bike, and I don’t regret buying it, but it was really just an incremental upgrade in terms of ride feel…to be honest, all of the improvements to the bike just aren’t something that most of us will access, namely the aerodynamics, which coincided with the decision by Specialized to discontinue the Venge. The biggest improvement that we all get, though, is the visuals with a really clean cockpit (especially if you mount an Aerofly bar, and route everything internally from the levers).
Likes For Badger6:
Old 08-15-21, 08:53 AM
Feelgood1

Bikes: Ridley Noah SL

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If i was in the market for a lightweight bike, I would personally go for the aethos than the sl7.
Old 08-15-21, 10:50 AM
Ek21

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger6
I own both. A rim brake (direct mount) equipped SL6, and an SL7. The SL6 was built up from a “pro” frame using Ultegra Di2 and DT Swiss AERC 1400 wheels, the SL7 was purchased as an “expert” with C38 wheels and I added Di2 shifting and a Quarq DFour power meter riding on a Quarq DUB crank.

I like riding the SL6 on longer training rides that are generally in the Z2 endurance mode. The SL7 is MUCH preferred for intervals. The SL7 Sems stiffer and the inputs seem like they are instantly transferred. But, the SL6 is no slouch either. I’ve ridden both on numerous imperial century length rides, and I honestly can’t really state that there is a measurable difference between them…beyond that the SL6 has rim brakes, and it weighs 1kg more. Unless you really want an SL7, I think you’ll be underwhelmed. It’s a great bike, and I don’t regret buying it, but it was really just an incremental upgrade in terms of ride feel…to be honest, all of the improvements to the bike just aren’t something that most of us will access, namely the aerodynamics, which coincided with the decision by Specialized to discontinue the Venge. The biggest improvement that we all get, though, is the visuals with a really clean cockpit (especially if you mount an Aerofly bar, and route everything internally from the levers).
Many thanks, this input is much appreciated and exactly what I was hoping for.

One follow up question, if I may, regarding the really long rides; do you feel a greater tiredness with the stiffer SL7 compared to the SL6? Also, regarding the Aero bar and again on long rides, do you miss the ability to change grip to the top/centre section that is flat on SL7 but traditionally round on e.g. the 6? Here’s remembering the back pain from 300km races when you desperately switch between different positions, trying to ease your back pain. Or maybe this is also, as you mention, something that was not factored in during the designing of the SL7, because its (pro) target group does not suffer back pain as us mere mortals.
Old 08-15-21, 10:58 AM
Ek21

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Feelgood1
If i was in the market for a lightweight bike, I would personally go for the aethos than the sl7.
Shhh, don’t tell the UCI, it is illegal. 😉
Old 08-16-21, 12:25 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by Ek21
One follow up question, if I may, regarding the really long rides; do you feel a greater tiredness with the stiffer SL7 compared to the SL6? Also, regarding the Aero bar and again on long rides, do you miss the ability to change grip to the top/centre section that is flat on SL7 but traditionally round on e.g. the 6? Here’s remembering the back pain from 300km races when you desperately switch between different positions, trying to ease your back pain. Or maybe this is also, as you mention, something that was not factored in during the designing of the SL7, because its (pro) target group does not suffer back pain as us mere mortals.
That's two! 😏 Being serious, though. I haven't noticed a difference in comfort on long rides, both bikes fit me well and are comfortable to ride. Regarding hand positions, I regularly use all of the same ones on the Aerofly bars on the SL7 that I use on the "round" carbon bars on my SL6.

I'm not sure what your experience is with really long rides, but back pain generally doesn't result (if at all) from hand position, unless your seat to bar drop is wrong for your flexibility. I find it stems from two things: sustained high power output efforts (near or at FTP), or lack of conditioning both from skipping core strength workouts and undertaking a bunch of big mileage/long duration efforts after a few weeks of shorter riding. Being able to ride Century plus distance and duration comfortably is a matter of conditioning.
Likes For Badger6:
Old 08-16-21, 12:35 AM
Ek21

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger6
That's two! 😏 Being serious, though. I haven't noticed a difference in comfort on long rides, both bikes fit me well and are comfortable to ride. Regarding hand positions, I regularly use all of the same ones on the Aerofly bars on the SL7 that I use on the "round" carbon bars on my SL6.

I'm not sure what your experience is with really long rides, but back pain generally doesn't result (if at all) from hand position, unless your seat to bar drop is wrong for your flexibility. I find it stems from two things: sustained high power output efforts (near or at FTP), or lack of conditioning both from skipping core strength workouts and undertaking a bunch of big mileage/long duration efforts after a few weeks of shorter riding. Being able to ride Century plus distance and duration comfortably is a matter of conditioning.
Haha, well spotted! Understood regarding the bars, that is valuable input.

I am disappointed to learn that I cannot compensate for my my lack of core strength by buying a bike for 15k. 😉

Again, many thanks for sharing!
Likes For Ek21:
Old 08-17-21, 01:27 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by Ek21
Or maybe this is also, as you mention, something that was not factored in during the designing of the SL7, because its (pro) target group does not suffer back pain as us mere mortals.
Back pain is fairly common in the pro peloton, if racer surveys are to be believed.