Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Miyata Mixte Question

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Miyata Mixte Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-21, 07:12 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Miyata Mixte Question

So more pondering a from the road. By this I mean ideas, sometimes fleeting, that I have while touring!
My wife's "touring" bike is a Dutch frame and we run 26" wheels and 2" tires because of most tours take us on really crummy roads or fields.
But her everyday bike is a 1981 Miyata Mixte 310 that I have converted to 650b with 38 mm tires and fenders.
We have done a few shorts trips with just rear panniers but I was wondering about a front Tubus rack. I would need to add bosses. But how would determine the fork is adequate?
Old 10-25-21, 08:30 AM
headwind15
Bikeable

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
Assuming that the fork has fender eyelets, the answer is yes. (on using a Tubus front rack) You just have to use use plastic/ rubber coated u-bolts where the rack will attach in the higher position. I have never herd of a restriction on a fork as being too wimpy for a front rack. Maybe someone else will chime in on their opinion.
Old 10-25-21, 09:26 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4204 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,309 Posts
Agree that the fork's integrity/strength shouldn't be an issue. We already know that the older tubing specs of these bikes is not best for a high weight load, WRT flexing. But breakage shouldn't be a concern. Were this bike in my family I would consider brazing on low rider rack bosses mid way along the blades and maybe adding another set of drop out eyes, dependent on rack attachment style and fender possibilities. Andy
Old 10-25-21, 11:26 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,916 Times in 656 Posts
You could of course make a new fork for it. That way you are not disturbing her bike while you make it better for touring. I'd choose heavier walls like a 1.1mm wall thickness. The kind of stout blades now needed to withstand the forces of disc brakes. Those blades uncut would probably weigh around 200 grams or a bit more. Of course that extra thickness may alter the ride quality a bit. I'm guessing your future plans probably include making her a completely new frame.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 10-25-21, 01:09 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Thanks Doug!
Actually I am wanting to build her a bike this winter!
Got a bunch of tubing to do some practice. But I do have to replace my torch elbow. I was doing a little project yesterday and I am still getting some leakage. Paige gave me some ideas short if replacement but I have exhausted them.
Likes For Tandem Tom: