Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Handlebar bag support

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Handlebar bag support

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-22, 11:52 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 1,439 Posts
Handlebar bag support

(tl;dr -- I got a new handlebar bag support today, hand-made by @gugie while I watched. Scroll down for pics if you don't want to read the back story.)

About a year ago, I picked up an Axion Seymour Oceanweave handlebar bag. I've kind of gotten hooked on the idea of handlebar bags, but with a large number of bikes, I can't afford to outfit them all with the kind of custom rack I have on my Grand Jubilé or even an off-the-shelf rack like the Nitto M18's I have on my Sequoia and Competition. Plus, a rack like that just wouldn't make sense on many of my sportier road bikes. The Seymour bag solves this by providing a spacious storage space that I can easily move from bike to bike. It has just one problem. For the size bike I ride, it has a tendency to sag down toward the front wheel.

It has a couple inches of clearance when I have the straps tight and rotated back, but over the course of a ride I have to keep adjusting it to keep it off the wheel. At least once, I've had to resort to a very hacky solution mid-ride.

Luckily, as they say, "I know a guy."

Last year when @gugie needed a stem that I had to get his bike ready for Eroica, I offered to trade the stem for "a player to be named later." And while he was off enjoying the glorious gravel roads of Montana, I was home thinking about a solution to my handlebar bag support problem.

I remembered seeing an old French bike at one of the Velo Cirque shows that had a clever device that looped under the stem and over the handlebars and had nothing else at all holding it in place. At the time I couldn't quite get me head around how it worked and it seems I didn't take pictures, but on doing an Internet search, I found an old thread where a BF member had done something similar and discovered that Nitto has a product called the F16 that does this. But why buy the Nitto product when I know a guy who is really good at bending tubing to make custom racks?

So at some point I talked to gugie about the possibility of this being the "player to be named later" that we had previously discussed. He agreed, and I've been waiting for a slow down in his backlog. I prototyped the thing using an old wire hanger, which actually served the purpose but looks awful and was quite springy. I don't know if gugie's backlog has actually slowed down, but I asked him about it this weekend, and he figured he could do it before we set off on a ride we had planned for today. We realized later that I should have been taking pictures of the process, but it was done before I thought to break out the camera, so you got this long back story instead.

Anyway, here's the finished "rack"

On the bike:

With the bag

And the full bike shot

After the support thingy was finished we went out for about a 30 mile ride, and I've got to say it was everything I hoped it would be. It kept the bag in place and was super stable. No issues whatsoever. The bike (which was also on its inaugural ride for me) also did pretty well.
Old 01-10-22, 05:33 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Well done. I like this idea too and have bar suspended supports on two bikes. One for my Cannondale bag and one for the Eclipse.

I made a bottom support style like yours for another bag but used steel rod (cuz that's what I had) with an oak rod across the ends to stiffen it. It's fine for light day rides but worrisome for heavy loads. When I heavy loaded that bag for my trip on the GAP, I made a loop stay to attach to the fork eyes and secure to the bottom of that under support. It helped transfer weight to the axle and prevented any bag bouncing on the GAPs various surfaces. A versatile set now.

I wish I could fab as well as that guy you know. Nice work.
Old 01-10-22, 07:52 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Nice! I did something similar a few years ago to add stability to a bag in combination with a front rack. I formed the ends outward and secured them beneath the sewn-on straps on the back of the bag. It worked well. Actually, better than I expected.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 01-10-22, 08:10 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3804 Post(s)
Liked 6,643 Times in 2,602 Posts
Nice! Looks like it could also be useful for roasting weenies when bikepacking.
Old 01-10-22, 11:16 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by Prowler
Well done. I like this idea too and have bar suspended supports on two bikes. One for my Cannondale bag and one for the Eclipse.

I made a bottom support style like yours for another bag but used steel rod (cuz that's what I had) with an oak rod across the ends to stiffen it. It's fine for light day rides but worrisome for heavy loads. When I heavy loaded that bag for my trip on the GAP, I made a loop stay to attach to the fork eyes and secure to the bottom of that under support. It helped transfer weight to the axle and prevented any bag bouncing on the GAPs various surfaces. A versatile set now.

Andy gives me a bit more credit than I deserve. I've got plenty of tubing stock for rack making, so we used a stick of thinwall 1/4" stainless steel tubing. Bends were made using my $8.95 Harbor Freight tubing bender, which despite abusing it for over 5 years, it's still going strong. The first bend was easy, 180 degree in the middle of the tube. It was ne'er impossible to use the tubing bender for the 2nd bends, however, so we did it "in situ", which is corporate speak for "on the bike." As we were trying to do that, the bend in the tubing slid back on the stem every time we tried to wrap it around the handlebars. Andy came up with the idea to put a C-clamp behind the bend so it wouldn't slip. Once that was done, the rest of the bends were straight forward using the tubing bender. One note, we started with a 6' stick of tubing and used less than 4' of it if anyone is planning on trying this themselves. Here's the McMaster part number for the tubing if you don't have another source, 6' section goes for about $18.

It took us maybe 30 minutes to make this. A couple of steps required two people, more clever people could probably figure out how to do it themselves.

@Prowler, you are correct, this thing really isn't intended to hold a heavy load, but it does a good job of it's intended use of holding the bottom of a lightly loaded bag from sagging and rubbing on the front wheel.
Old 01-10-22, 11:22 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
So glad you didn't shoot it with Flat Black Paint...

Looks like it belongs!!!
Old 01-10-22, 11:27 AM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
I love my vintage Cannondale bag, but I really appreciate this solution for a similar type of application, since it won't last forever. I move it from bike to bike just like you do, and I didn't realize how much I use it until I noticed that my ride pics typically include it, regardless of the bike being pictured.

Extra points for the wrapped section of the support, since it looks like a miniature set of drop bars.
Old 01-10-22, 11:57 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 4,587 Times in 1,764 Posts
Well, well, well.

Here's what I've been using for the past couple years. Cheap, effective and easy to move between bikes (if you can at least remember for longer than a few hours how to mount it on bars with brifters and center-pull or cantilever brakes. )

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 01-10-22, 12:58 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by Prowler
Yeah, he's playing this off like anybody with a tube could have done the same thing, and now that I've seen it done I could probably make another one on my own, but if he had just sent the tube home with me I'd have ended up with something that looked a lot more like my bent up coat hanger solution. As it is, this came out looking really clean. The $9 Harbor Freight tube bender (along with skill at using it) was really the key to getting good results, I think.
Old 01-10-22, 01:01 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by non-fixie
Well, well, well.

Here's what I've been using for the past couple years. Cheap, effective and easy to move between bikes (if you can at least remember for longer than a few hours how to mount it on bars with brifters and center-pull or cantilever brakes. )

What's the purpose of the second bend? I noticed that the Nitto F16 has a little horseshoe loop at the bottom, and I speculated that it must serve some purpose, but I don't know what the purpose is.

That looks like a pretty big bag you've got on yours. How much load do you think your bracket would support?
Old 01-10-22, 01:04 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by noobinsf
Extra points for the wrapped section of the support, since it looks like a miniature set of drop bars.
Yeah, that was @gugie's idea, and it actually is handlebar tape. It's a simple and effective solution. I'm not sure anything at all was needed there, but this will certainly keep the bracket from scratching the stem or bars. We thought about using shrink wrap tubing, but I think this is a bit cooler.
Old 01-10-22, 01:18 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
That's why I keep all of my vintage stuff.

My UO-8 with barcon cables routed between the rack and the cylindrical Bellwether front bag.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 01-10-22, 01:52 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
Well, well, well.

Similar to a no hardware front bag support available in the 1970's. but, they did bounce at the right speed, wrong terrain.
Old 01-10-22, 03:50 PM
nlerner

I can send you this C&V unit if you want to compare, @Andy_K:

Old 01-10-22, 04:00 PM
bear_a_bug 

Bikes: 650B'd '74 Raleigh Super Tourer and '83 Trek 620, '22 Gorilla Monsoon

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
Nice! I made something similar a few years ago with some thicker aluminum rod. I found that on rough roads it got a bit too bouncy for my liking. I saw non-fixie 's got a bungie on his. How's it working out for you so far?
Likes For bear_a_bug:
Old 01-10-22, 04:01 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by nlerner
That looks pretty heavy duty. I don't need that kind of rigidity in my life.
Old 01-10-22, 04:08 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by bear_a_bug
Nice! I made something similar a few years ago with some thicker aluminum rod. I found that on rough roads it got a bit too bouncy for my liking.
I haven't taken it on rough roads yet. A bit of chipseal was the worst it saw yesterday. The Seymour bag has a Velcro strap that's meant to lash it to the head tube. I suppose I could use a bungy like non-fixie did, but on smooth-ish roads (which is where I'll primarily use this) that wasn't an issue at all.
Old 01-10-22, 04:19 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2434 Post(s)
Liked 3,108 Times in 1,957 Posts
I can send you this C&V unit if you want to compare, @Andy_K:

What are those from? They look stout...
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 01-10-22, 04:22 PM
nlerner

Originally Posted by jdawginsc
What are those from? They look stout...
Marked "Japan" on the clamp that goes around the stem, but that's it. Definitely not light-gauge tubing. I don't think it it was bent in @gugie's HF unit.
Old 01-10-22, 04:25 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2434 Post(s)
Liked 3,108 Times in 1,957 Posts
Marked "Japan" on the clamp that goes around the stem, but that's it. Definitely not light-gauge tubing. I don't think it it was bent in @gugie's HF unit.
Looks like you could add a mini fridge (to store the hot dogs for Andy’s weenie roast tool), coffee maker and Toaster...
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 01-10-22, 04:28 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Originally Posted by Andy_K
What's the purpose of the second bend? I noticed that the Nitto F16 has a little horseshoe loop at the bottom, and I speculated that it must serve some purpose, but I don't know what the purpose is.

That looks like a pretty big bag you've got on yours. How much load do you think your bracket would support?
I suppose the second bend is the result of wanting a design that fits somewhat snugly around the stem and bars and also leaves a bit of room between the bars and the bag for your fingers.

The bag is an Ostrich F-104, which is rated at 12.4 liters. It usually contains my standard repair kit (mini tool, spare tube, mini pump) and a lightweight jacket. And maybe lunch. I wouldn't want to load it up any more on this rack.

And, like repechage says, it tends to bounce unpleasantly on less than smooth roads if not secured. Hence the little bungee cord, which doesn't look great but works well.

All in all it's a nice piece of kit, and a practical and wallet-friendly alternative to having to equip every bike with its own rack.

Old 01-10-22, 04:30 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

No, but the stem mount looks familiar.

Old 01-10-22, 04:49 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Originally Posted by bear_a_bug
Nice! I made something similar a few years ago with some thicker aluminum rod. I found that on rough roads it got a bit too bouncy for my liking. I saw non-fixie 's got a bungie on his. How's it working out for you so far?
Better than expected. Simple and effective, which fits the bill perfectly.

Old 01-10-22, 04:52 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Looks like you could add a mini fridge (to store the hot dogs for Andy’s weenie roast tool), coffee maker and Toaster...
Having ridden with Andy many, many times, the mini fridge would hold beer.
Old 01-10-22, 05:28 PM
nlerner

Well, this might work, but the extension cord could be a problem.

Likes For nlerner:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.