Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Bentrider Online Forum

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Bentrider Online Forum

Old 02-09-22, 07:35 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I was unable to access it again today, even with https:// which of course doesn't work properly because Bryan refuses to update the security certificate. BROL came about when usenet was becoming a troll-ridden wasteland, and it was a welcome respite for us for a long time. I'd like to see it fixed and rejuvinated, but I'm beginning to despair that it ain't gonna happen.
Old 02-09-22, 09:28 PM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 82 Posts
Pretty sure I am done with forums indefinitely.

I canceled my FB account last week too. That felt good.
Old 02-09-22, 10:17 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,050 Times in 1,072 Posts
Probably all my fault, since I've left the dark side and come back to the light. Not that I posted there much; it's the butterfly effect: One long time 'bent rider in Portland goes wedgie, and the whole thing collapses.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 02-10-22, 04:11 AM
pm124
Car free since 1995

Bikes: M5 Carbon High Racer, Trek Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
We should simply all switch to this forum. Simple solution.
Old 02-10-22, 05:27 AM
Steamer

Originally Posted by pm124
We should simply all switch to this forum. Simple solution.
Recumbent riders.org is a better option, IMO.
Old 02-10-22, 07:19 AM
TennBent

Bikes: BMC Roadmachine, Obed Baseline

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Probably all my fault, since I've left the dark side and come back to the light. Not that I posted there much; it's the butterfly effect: One long time 'bent rider in Portland goes wedgie, and the whole thing collapses.
Phew, I was afraid it was me. I left the dark side last year after 22 years of 'bent riding. In fact, there were a few of us that went back to uprights last year. Maybe it was just a cumulative effect. LOL.

I did like to pop in though just to see what was going on and there was always the chance that I might be able to answer a question based on my experiences. I have been a member of Bentrider since nearly the beginning and it is sad to possibly be witnessing it's death throes. I have only managed to get into it once a few weeks ago and only for a couple of minutes. Bryan had most recently said that it is a Plesk issue which sounds to me that it is something to be handled more at the ISP level. I just wish he would be more forthcoming about what he does or does not want to do about it. It's too bad because last year there was a member who said that he would be happy to take on the responsibility if Bryan no longer wanted to be involved. He said he would take on the hosting requirements and would upgrade the software to a modern version as well as get everything on https. Obviously, nothing came of it.

I agree with Steamer that if folks need to move on to something else, then Recumbent Riders.org would probably be best for now.
Old 02-11-22, 02:11 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I was on BROL today for 30 minutes. Reading. Even did one post. Then suddenly, no access. I don't get it.
Old 02-12-22, 02:27 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked 1,131 Times in 487 Posts
BROL had been declining in functionality for a while. That's too bad because there's a lot of knowledge, experience, and data in its archives that are essentially inaccessible.
Likes For RChung:
Old 02-13-22, 04:51 AM
GhostRider62

The loss of BROL historical content is the big loss for me.

If I had a bent related question, that is the first place I would search. The answer was not always there for sure but on many topics, it was.

If as I understand, a member had offered to take it over and upgrade the forum, why would the owner let it just die. I doubt the site made money. Very perplexing.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 02-13-22, 06:46 AM
TennBent

Well, at around 6 a.m. today, I got in for the first time in about a month. The site was actually working without any hitches - until it wasn't. I made it about 5-10 minutes. As I was perusing different threads, it completely hung on me and that was it. I couldn't get back in. Bryan did state on Facebook that he would probably end up taking member razinCain's advice and upgrade the Vbulletin software and move everything to the Vbulletin cloud. However, he then said that it was going to cost money and that he just can't handle this kind of pressure right now. People have offered to help financially but Bryan's last statement seems to indicate that he just doesn't want to take the time nor the responsibility to tackle this right now. It's anybody's guess as to when it might truly be functioning again.

Quick edit: I just saw over on Recumbent Riders.org that Bryan had posted on BROL that most of the issues have been fixed for now and that he will me moving to another server soon which should put things completely back on track. I have since been able to get back in but I think it might be hit or miss until the server migration.

Last edited by TennBent; 02-13-22 at 07:16 AM.
Old 02-13-22, 09:23 AM
Steamer

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
If as I understand, a member had offered to take it over and upgrade the forum, why would the owner let it just die. I doubt the site made money. Very perplexing.
I believe BROL did make money. Bryan charged for links and ads at the top of the page. I don't know the current status of things but a long time advertiser there told me it was upwards of 1000 USD per year (although that was the figure say, 10 years ago - it may be different now), and at the moment there are 60 links /advertisers listed there. There is really no excuse for what happened, in my opinion. Just search under slicey dicey on Youtube to get a feel for what you are dealing with. I won't be going back to BROL, even if it does survive. I'll be over at https://www.recumbentriders.org/forums/ if anyone wants to contact me. Also, my email is obtainable at https://rothrockcyrcle.wordpress.com/ if anyone needs to reach me that way.
Likes For Steamer:
Old 02-13-22, 10:22 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I just got in and apparently without any errors. So I think the certificate issue is fixed. Bryan stated that not only was his son born prematurely, but he also came down with a fairly serious case of Covid and was down for the count. I know how that goes (11 days of high temperature and another 8 in the hospital on supplemental oxygen.) He stated that they will be going to a new server soon, so there may be more disruption, although planned this time.
Old 02-14-22, 08:27 AM
TennBent

Originally Posted by Steamer
There is really no excuse for what happened, in my opinion. Just search under slicey dicey on Youtube to get a feel for what you are dealing with. I won't be going back to BROL, even if it does survive.

I just got around to doing this and - WOW! That was certainly eye-opening.
Old 02-14-22, 12:16 PM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 110 Posts
BROL is back to normal for me as of yesterday (2/13).
Old 02-16-22, 11:15 AM
rando_couche

Originally Posted by rando_couche
BROL is back to normal for me as of yesterday (2/13).
Aaaand... it's on the blink again. Gateway timeouts every time I try to go past the initial page. Phooey!
Old 02-16-22, 11:27 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
I'm not a bent rider, and don't anticipate becoming one anytime soon..but..you guys seem to be communicating very well here. Using this forum to discuss what forum to go to..maybe none of my business..but what's wrong with this forum?

It's well maintained, moderated well..and..well..it's up and running.
Old 02-16-22, 11:32 AM
Steamer

Originally Posted by fishboat
I'm not a bent rider, and don't anticipate becoming one anytime soon..but..you guys seem to be communicating very well here. Using this forum to discuss what forum to go to..maybe none of my business..but what's wrong with this forum?

In a way, your post illustrates one of the problems - that non-bent riders chime in from time to time. In your case, the interaction was totally fine, but in probably about 50% of the cases, the non-bent chimer is there to stir the pot or post non-sequiturs, etc.

The other factor is that his sub-forum here on BF is pretty dead, and is even more dead than the other alternatives being discussed. It helps to start out with as good of a base of participants as possible.
Old 02-16-22, 11:57 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by fishboat

There isn't structure to this forum for recumbents. Imagine putting all of the upright riders into one folder. It is really like a different parallel universe.

I am anything if not frank, a lot of Bikeforums is more entertainment. It isn't very serious. It is almost impossible to have a serious discussion and on point; it very quickly goes off rail for various reasons.

Plus, there is 20 years of legacy data in the bentrider forum. Very hard to create the content again.
Old 02-16-22, 12:05 PM
GhostRider62

I looked up the Slicey Dicey youtube channel. Yikes. What a mess.

It would be nice if he gave up BROL to the member willing to run it.

The lack of a security certificate for what is it....6 months.....is troubling.

I was a member of a vibrant much larger forum that was sold to a corporation for a small amount of money. All the key members left and forum died. There are probably a dozen such key contributors to BROL. If they go, the forum dies. It probably is already dead.
Old 02-17-22, 01:08 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked 1,131 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by Steamer
In a way, your post illustrates one of the problems - that non-bent riders chime in from time to time. In your case, the interaction was totally fine, but in probably about 50% of the cases, the non-bent chimer is there to stir the pot or post non-sequiturs, etc.
Sorry. I'll try to do better.
Likes For RChung:
Old 02-17-22, 11:24 AM
rando_couche

Originally Posted by rando_couche
Aaaand... it's on the blink again. Gateway timeouts every time I try to go past the initial page. Phooey!
This morning it's working just fine. I dunno...
Old 02-18-22, 05:03 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10960 Post(s)
Liked 4,615 Times in 2,120 Posts
Note: Bike Forums doesn't generally allow links to other sites but I sort of let it slide because of some good alternative information being put forth. However, pretty much all options have been posted and some were critical of another board which is also not considered good form here.

Therefore, time to close. Nothing personal, discussing other boards is contrary to BF rules.