Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Recent bibs I've tried for sizing: just information for others my size looking

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-22, 02:43 PM
sayn3ver

Bikes: 1989 Bianchi Giro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

It didn't occur to me until recent that Facebook market place and eBay often have either new or like new bibs for dirt cheap pricing. Even used bibs for $20.

And while that may be a non starter for many, those on a budget and are looking to try different brands and chamois pads I find this is an excellent way to go about it.

ive been riding two pairs of cheap castelli trofeo bibs I bought in 2009. The pad was always thin to maybe medium but was flat and never rubbed or chafed. It was never comfortable on my sit bones on rides longer than 40 miles my sit bones were always sore by then.

(Wore them for two years before I stopped cycling and started wearing them again summer of 2021).

they were a size large.

I'm 6'1. I weighed 185-190lbs then and am unfortunately 225-230lb at the moment. Waist is 40" hips are 42".

these bibs still fit but the kiss pad has gotten rather flat.

I carry most of my weight around my stomach but my upper body and legs are still skinny and muscular as I work in construction and am constantly walking, climbing, moving material and wearing a heavy tool belt.

So I went to a local bike shop to try some castelli bibs on. They had the endurance 3 and the premio bibs in sizes up to xxl. The premio were a non starter in xxl. The endurance 3 were tight and xxxl would probably be my size.

I found some on sale online and the xxxl are still race tight but they fit well enough (I anticipate the mesh shoulder straps to loosen over time and be ok like my old bibs). The leg grippers in xxxl seem a smidge loose but are still ok. Have not ridden these yet as they just showed up today. The x2 pad seems like a winner for me but we shall see.

**Edit** did a 59mile ride in the endurance 3 bib yesterday. They felt good. The leg grippers are not too big and didn't move. They make the bib the longest I've ridden ending just above the knee. The straps felt good on the bike as anticipated and will probably stretch some in subsequent rides to fit like a glove . The x2 progetto pad is a pretty good fit for my but. I like the density under my sit bones without the plush diaper feel. However I wish the padding was less in the center as I experienced some pressure in the center tissue that I typically haven't near the end of the ride. I also think they were making a squeaking sound on the saddle. If the material continues to stretch and I loose some weight I'll probably be in a xxl eventually.

overall for $80 these are probably my new favorite bibs with the used capo's in a close close second. The leg grippers on the endurance 3 is really nice. The matte material on the capo bibs is nicer for staying put in the saddle position.

im still unsure if the 155mm specialized power saddle is 100% for me after two summers of riding.

**end edit**

I purchased off eBay a pair of capo bibs in xl. They have a grayish blue elastic interface pad supposedly and the xl is a perfect fit (tight but not skin tight). This is my favorite pad so far. Flat but a medium amount of padding. No crazy elevated contours.

I purchased a pair of maap bibs off Facebook in xxl. Tags still on. They are a smidge big in the straps, thighs and stomach area but good at the leg grippers if not a bit small. The pad I believe is an elastic interface pad but has denser elevated ridges which I find ok but would probably prefer a flatter pad. They are also a bit too baggy and an xl is probably the size for me. However the narrow leg opening gives me pause if I'd ever try another maap offering as I'm unsure their proportions work for me.

I'm hoping to try a pair of Assos bibs eventually.

This post is merely meant to be searchable information for future bib buyers who may be similar in size.
Nothing more or less. I'll update this thread as opportunities come up to try various manufacturers.

Last edited by sayn3ver; 09-05-22 at 08:13 AM.
Old 09-04-22, 04:57 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
height, waist, hip measurements would be much more helpful than weight.

Thanks for including the info. Given how close your measurements and mine are (except, TBH, I'm a LOT shorter), which I really didn't expect, makes your post really helpful to me. I like shorts and have never tried bibs, but all the buzz has made me wonder, but I've wondered about size. Until now. Again, thanks.

Last edited by philbob57; 11-17-22 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-04-22, 08:04 PM
sayn3ver

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
height, waist, hip measurements would be much more helpful than weight.
added hip and waste to the original height and weight.
Old 09-05-22, 10:20 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
Tl;dnr. Used bibs are definitely a non-starter for me.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-05-22, 05:02 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
Thanks. Personally, I stay away from bibs in part because my waist and hips are bigger for my height than designers design for....

I understand not wanting used bibs, but there are 2400+ sold listings on a popular auction site for used bike shorts, so some people like something about them.
Old 09-11-22, 09:03 AM
sayn3ver

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Update:

did a 53 miler yesterday. I really like the endurance 3 bibs. The 3xl fit me well at the moment. The leg grippers are really comfortable and enjoy them more than the old skinner band on my old castelli bibs.

the x2 progetto pad is my new favorite. It's dense under my sit bones but doesn't feel like a diaper. The seamless, continuous microfiber covering over the foam is a nice touch. A slight downward angle adjustment of my saddle eliminated the perineum pressure I experienced with the power saddle and these shorts.

If I was getting custom made bibs, I'd probably like to slide the chamois a smidge forward but still they still fit my butt great.

If these go on sale again I'll be picking up another pair (maybe another pair of 3xl and a pair of 2xl).

Last edited by sayn3ver; 09-11-22 at 09:06 AM.
Old 09-11-22, 07:36 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
I'm 6'1", ~190#. Forever trying to get back to a fit 180.
I just follow the size charts.
More bibs than shorts, and I move to 3/4 bib knickers and tights earlier into season changes than many.

Check reviews for sizing. If the brand runs small they usually reveal it one way or another.

I have wondered about ordering a tall size in a short with thicker fabric as an option for cool days (I have knee warmers, too). Longer straps in some bib designs allow for easier 'over the top' nature breaks.

hard to give a specific recommendation -
Old 09-11-22, 08:25 PM
sayn3ver

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
I'm 6'1", ~190#. Forever trying to get back to a fit 180.
I just follow the size charts.
More bibs than shorts, and I move to 3/4 bib knickers and tights earlier into season changes than many.

Check reviews for sizing. If the brand runs small they usually reveal it one way or another.

I have wondered about ordering a tall size in a short with thicker fabric as an option for cool days (I have knee warmers, too). Longer straps in some bib designs allow for easier 'over the top' nature breaks.

hard to give a specific recommendation -

im just posting my experience as I try some various used bibs. Hopefully it can help someone else when they search the site.

like my previous post, my 3xl castelli endurance 3 bibs I bought new on discount ($80 shipped) fit like my old pair of castelli in large. Even being 230lb and carry my weight around my waist (stick legs and arms, love handles at the moment) I haven't had issues with bibs and my waist. The 2xl castelli premio black bibs were unbelievably short and the thighs/openings tight. The premio is a race cut bib and fabric vs the endurance 3.

I like my bibs snug to tight, especially in the chamois area and upper thighs/butt.
Any looseness is uncomfortable because of chafing/moving fabric.

having rowed crew in college and wearing uni-suits or rowing trou, I'm aware of how Lycra should fit.

im was taken off guard a bit just how small the current castelli offerings run.
I'm only an xl in the pearl izumi and rapha core I tried on at rei.
Likes For sayn3ver:
Old 09-17-22, 09:32 AM
sayn3ver

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Borrowed some older used Assos Mille bibs with the purple pad.

size xl.

Being used they were a good fit in the thighs, tight enough but not as tight as I'd like in the hip area.

straps and area around waist felt really nice (no seems or rubbing etc) and strap length was nice.

the pad covering feels good (that waffle pattern) and didn't chafe or hint at any sort of future discomfort on a short 20mile ride. However, the entire pad is too far towards the rear. The main padding was hardly covering my bones while riding on the hoods. Once in the drops I basically didn't have any padding under my sit bones.

Do other Assos models have the pad more oriented forward? I didn't find it very dense either despite being visually thick.

the progetto pad by castelli has been my hands down favorite so far. It's dense under my sit bones but doesn't create a bump or lump sensation and doesn't feel like a diaper to me (had an old pair of voler bibs that the pad literally disintegrated in the wash after a few uses. I don't know what pad they were but this was 10 years ago and that particular pad felt like a diaper.
Old 10-06-22, 07:25 PM
sayn3ver

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Picked up an open box pair of Castelli Free Aero RC bibs in 3xl. Haven't ridden them yet. Initial impressions

1) definitely tighter than the endurance 3 in the same 3xl size. Race tight probably. Race tight is growing on me as I find it keeps the chamois from moving around.

2) the pad seems more rearward but I'm not sure and wont know until riding how the position compares to the endurance 3. (Both give no front chamois coverage for my man parts. I don't mind as my privates haven't been bothered by any seams up front yet and after rowing crew in college modesty is gone as well). I also don't think I'd want excessive padding up front. I would probably be ok with them extending that soft microfiber layer up the front.

3) the inseam is longer. Almost too long for me. The no silicone leg grippers feel great for an initial impression (my thighs get a long fine with the endurance 3 gripper which I find feels find. I've read issues regarding that gripper style flaring out.)

Now granted I'm sure if and when I loose weight and go down to a 2xl or xl (dreaming) I'm sure those would be fine in length. I'm 6'1 and I'm sure the 3xl is actually more for probably a 6'3+ Person.

Overall they feel and look much nicer than the endurance 3's. I'm hoping the new leg gripper situation works out as they really do feel "smooth". So does the area around the upper waist.

I'm hoping to get one or two more weekend rides in but weather and schedule will dictate that.

Moved to the erg during the week already.
Old 10-07-22, 05:01 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4388 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
Originally Posted by sayn3ver

Do other Assos models have the pad more oriented forward? I didn't find it very dense either despite being visually thick.
I have 2 pairs of Assos bibs and they are completely different in both pad and fit:-

Mille GT (about 18 months old, size M): thin pad, relatively relaxed but nice fit
Mille GTC Kiespanzer (only a few months old, size M): thick pad, relatively tight fit especially around the thighs

I find the pad in both is relatively forward, perhaps a little too far forward for my liking. Amazing quality throughout and nothing seems to wear on them.

I also have the following bibs:-

Rapha (Core Cargo and regular Cargo bibs, both size M): The Core Cargos have a more relaxed fit around the thighs and longer leg length. Great pads in both. Quality of the Core version is not great - some stitching came undone and the material at the back is wearing thin. Regular Cargos are holding up better (but twice the price!)
Le Col pro bibs (size L): Great fit overall, but I find the pad a bit too lumpy. Good quality, but a step down from Assos.
7 Mesh Mk3 (size L): Amazing quality (on a par with Assos), but they are definitely a size too big for me. I expect M would be perfect

I'm 6'1", 175 lbs, average(ish) build, legs more chunky than arms. Waist 32-34"

I'm nearly always size M in bike clothing, with the odd L here and there in some brands. Castelli are notoriously small fitting, although I don't currently own any of their gear.
People over 6' tall and significantly overweight will inevitably require the largest sizes available in any performance bike clothing. Especially for Euro brands like Castelli.
Old 10-07-22, 05:08 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4388 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
Originally Posted by sayn3ver
I'm 6'1 and I'm sure the 3xl is actually more for probably a 6'3+ Person.
Yeah, I think this is going to be your main fit issue. Assos should be good as they tend to be relatively short in the leg (in some models they offer 2 different leg lengths).
Old 11-17-22, 11:09 AM
sayn3ver

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Managed to get two rides with the aero rc Bibs. I like them. I like the slightly tighter fit tho the endurance aren't baggy on me.

I do like the no silicone leg gripper. It's premium feeling. I do get along fine with the endurance 3 leg grippers.

the inseam is just short enough to work for me. Any longer and the bottom of the legs would be coming down on my knee bend.

overall if I can find more on sale I'll take them.

the biggest difference for me is the matte material. The endurance 3 bibs squeak on my power saddle. These free aero rc are quiet.