Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

650b wheelset recommendations

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-22, 03:36 PM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts

Just started shopping for some upgrade 650b wheels over the OEMs I'm currently running. No issues with stock, just chunky.

I'm currently considering Hunt carbon adventure series $900, or LightBicycle w/I9 hubs for 1100 ,and 1400 grams, or I9 aluminum set 1300 grams, and about the same $$. Are there any other 65o wheelsets out there that I should be taking a look at that would be similar $4 and weight/performance?
Old 09-27-22, 04:44 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
DT Swiss makes a fantastic set...but they are going to be at the higher end of the pricing, like more than double the LB option. US pricing on DT Swiss are insane. I bought mine in Europe for ~€1400. They use the 240 center lock hubs equipped with a 36T EXP ratchet, straight pull blade spokes, and the rim profile is 42mm deep. They are a little heavier at 1545g (claimed) with the deep section rim. I use them with Pirelli Centaur Gravel M, 50mm wide, tires which are quite heavy, so weight savings are pretty much wiped out by the beefy rubber.
Likes For Badger6:
Old 09-27-22, 12:46 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3137 Post(s)
Liked 1,705 Times in 1,030 Posts
Spinergy have the 24mm internal width GX Max 650b for $839, weighing in at 1450g.

I like my Spnergy GX 700c for gravel as they really smooth out the ride, but with more voluminous 650b, that may not be as much of a factor.

They’re also shallow and not aero (if that’s a thing with big, 650b rubber) but they’re relatively inexpensive and reasonably light. I’ve found the wheels durable and the company, which is American, good to work with. I’m pretty sure they still have a trade-in program, too, if that’s of interest.
Likes For chaadster: