Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Walmart Gravel Bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-20, 08:45 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by gravelslider
The vast majority of remaining local shops are pretty well run, if that is your experience then you are going to the wrong shop. Please do not generalize and imply people will get a bad experience from a local shop as theer are LOTS of really good ones out there.

And good luck expecting Walmart to be the "servant of the people" when you stroll in with your bike and ask them to check into that creaking bottom bracket. Maybe they will even move all of your parts over to the replacement frame for you for free because they sold you the bike in the first place.
I've been biking for nearly 50 years so I will retain the right to my opinion.

I didn't generalize anything. If that's happening I would suggest it is the people who want to lump all big business as bad and all small business as good. I only offered the counter point that that is not always the case. There are lots of good small shops but I don't assume that carte blanche, just because they are.

It's 2020. If someone is still betting their business model on the fact that people won't shop, or at least compare prices online then they really are delusional. A plan to belittle people because they do that occasionally does not endear any local shop to those same people. If a business wants to convince someone that shopping local is better, making them feel guilty is a poor customer service strategy when so many other avenues are open. They'll remain silent for as long as they have no choice and leave as soon as they do. I've been involved in three hobbies/pastimes that rely on LBS (bike), LFS (fish), LDS (dive) shops and have seen the same pattern play out in each.

Why doesn't anyone get mad at megacorp youtube for teaching everyone how to service their own bikes? That's got to cut into a shops bottom line on the labour side.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 03-06-20 at 10:04 PM.
Old 03-10-20, 09:12 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Wow, this bike looks like a great value. Solid specs.
Pricing Viathon to be cost competitive with offerings from Bikes Direct seems to make sense to me.

I'm curious if people feel there a similar stigma or concern about Canyon bikes which also sell direct to consumers and aren't sold at local bikes shops? Or is it just that Viathon is a "big box" brand owned by Wal-Mart, whereas Canyon is Euro and only does bikes?
My perception has always been that Canyon is viewed as an acceptable/cool brand in my area, but they have the same business model in terms of impacts on local shops.
As mentioned, I think Canyon has established itself as a quality brand (well, I guess if you ignore the bottom bracket QC issues lol). Wal-Mart is synonymous with cheap crap, so even if the bikes are quality (which they look to be), they already have the cheap Wal-Mart stigma. The only way they're gonna move these bikes is by continuing to drop the price.

The smart move would have been to try to keep Viathon as disassociated from Wal-Mart as possible. People that are shopping for $3k bikes are not looking at Wal-Mart, period.
Old 03-11-20, 09:38 AM
medic75

Bikes: '19 Trek Stache 5, '17 DB Hannjo Trail, '09 Scott CR1 Pro, Schwinn Central commuter, '16 DB El Oso

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
The Walton family has been involved in the cycling and outdoor market for years - Moosejaw is owned by Walmart. I think cycling is somewhat of a person endeavor for a certain member of the Walton family. I can confirm that they staffed Viathon with people who are very familiar with the cycling industry. Honestly, after looking at the bikes, it is clear that they did their homework and didn't cut too many corners. A threaded BB? That is weight and $$, but they did it anyway. These bikes are true competitors, with the exception of their stupid 2 year warranty. At this point I don't know what a lifetime warranty would really be worth, but from a marketing standpoint, it makes buyer feel warm and fuzzy inside. My only issue with direct to consider bikes remains the fact that I prefer to test a bike before spending the money.
Old 03-11-20, 04:54 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by gravelslider
The vast majority of remaining local shops are pretty well run, if that is your experience then you are going to the wrong shop. Please do not generalize and imply people will get a bad experience from a local shop as theer are LOTS of really good ones out there.

And good luck expecting Walmart to be the "servant of the people" when you stroll in with your bike and ask them to check into that creaking bottom bracket. Maybe they will even move all of your parts over to the replacement frame for you for free because they sold you the bike in the first place.
Yeah, I can just imagine the new Walmart stock boy (the same one that assembles kid bikes with the handlebars backwards) moving all of your pricey components over to your new replacement frame!

Last edited by dwmckee; 03-11-20 at 06:50 PM.
Old 03-12-20, 07:47 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
Yeah, I can just imagine the new Walmart stock boy (the same one that assembles kid bikes with the handlebars backwards) moving all of your pricey components over to your new replacement frame!

In all seriousness, isn't Viathon likely to just replace the entire bike if there is a valid warranty claim (i.e. a manufacturing defect in the frame)?
If it's a frame replacement due to a crash, they'll send you a new frame and you're going to have to either DIY or pay a LBS to build it up.

Would either of these situations be any different with a bike purchased from a LBS? Does your LBS build up a new frame for free in a crash-replacement scenario?
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 03-12-20, 08:46 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
In all seriousness, isn't Viathon likely to just replace the entire bike if there is a valid warranty claim (i.e. a manufacturing defect in the frame)?
If it's a frame replacement due to a crash, they'll send you a new frame and you're going to have to either DIY or pay a LBS to build it up.

Would either of these situations be any different with a bike purchased from a LBS? Does your LBS build up a new frame for free in a crash-replacement scenario?
Of course. People just say stuff because it's fun and socially acceptable to bash WM. It shows you are on the cool side of the equation.
The new stock boy didn't assemble the original Viathon and the consumer didn't buy it from the store. Why would anyone assume the stock boy would be in charge of servicing it.
It's the same as assuming the 15 year old summer student in the mom and pop shop is going to overhaul your custom CF road bike when he isn't sweeping the floor.
Old 03-12-20, 06:30 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts

Yes. Quite typically, bike manufacturers replace just the defective component, even a frame. They leave it to the shop and consumer to figure out what do do about the component swap. A good shop will provided a discounted or free service for the customer if they are a regular customer or if they bought the bike there. Sometimes the manufacturer will provide a small credit to the shop to cover a portion of the swap labor, but that is usually less than their cost, but that is just in the first year,a after that you are on your own.
Old 03-13-20, 03:45 AM
srode1
Gravel Rocks

Bikes: Trek Domane and Crockett, BH G7, Niner RLT9, RLT9 RDO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts

If I bought the bike from them and it was a defective frame yes they would move the components for free and I think most local bike shops would. That's one of the advantages of dealing with local shops vs buying on line, and an important one for people who don't have the skills or tools to build a bike frame up.
Old 09-19-22, 12:08 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
I never heard of Viathon until a few weeks ago when my friend told me about them. I never saw one in real life or ever heard anybody talk about them until this weekend at Crater Lake when they shut down East Rim Drive from cars.

https://www.nps.gov/crla/planyourvis...-rim-drive.htm

caught this guy on my gopro