Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Tanner's Orchard Vintage ride, Peoria, IL USA, Sept 17, 2022

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 08-29-22, 03:35 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1825 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,573 Posts

Tanner's Orchard Vintage & Steel bike ride, Peoria, IL USA, Sept 17, 2022

For anyone within range of central Illinois, this is a chance to ride with fellow vintage & steel bike enthusiasts and perhaps show off the pride of your fleet! It's intended to be a medium speed ride along quiet rural roads north of Peoria, IL, including a stretch along the scenic Illinois river... nothing too serious, and no dropped riders.

Date: Saturday, Sept 17th. Meet at 8:30am. Roll out at 9am.

Start/Finish location: Shore Acres Park, 100 Park Blvd, Chillicothe Illinois 61523
Meet in the parking area adjacent to the swimming pool.
https://www.chillicotheparkdistrict.org/shore-acres-park

Distance: roughly 42 miles.
Speed: Previous rides were nominally 16mph. There has been some interest in making it available for slower riders, perhaps as slow as 13mph. Since I can only lead one group, that will be the group at the front. We regroup periodically to get folks back together, and hopefully that will be sufficient to handle the variety of speeds. If speed differences become problematic, it may be necessary to ask the slower group to use the map to navigate the route, or to use a shortcut to reduce the distance. This may require some discussion to work out, so let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Mid-ride destination & break: Tanner's Orchard, Speer, Illinois. https://www.tannersorchard.com/
baked goods, hot cocoa, coffee, water, and restrooms. Plenty of apples and cider are available too, but you'll want to bring a pannier or big saddlebag to carry it in. Fortunately, it's mostly downhill from Tanner's.

Other ride info:

-- Support: This is an unsupported ride. Bring your own food and water, and be prepared to handle any mechanical issues that might occur.

-- Terrain: There are a variety of moderate rolling hills as well as some flat ground in the river flood plain. As usual, road work has required changes. The route goes up Blue Ridge road instead of Hallock Hollow, with a 1/4 mile stretch of about 4% grade instead of the continuous 2% grade of Hallock Hollow. A bit less pleasant, perhaps, but shouldn't be a problem.
I've entered the route on RideWithGPS:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/40660491

-- Road conditions: primarily narrow rural roads with chipseal surfaces and very little traffic. No potholes or gravel that I've noticed. The road crews reserve the right to freshly chipseal the route at any time, of course!

-- Cue sheet and map: posted to a google drive folder:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...TP?usp=sharing
… but cue sheet and map (without extra notes) are also available on the RideWithGPS link.

-- COVID-19 considerations: none at this time, and no expectations for this to change.

photos from last year's ride...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/kurtsj...57719597513224

last year's thread:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...l#post22169635

Please let me know if you plan to attend or if there are any questions.

Steve in Peoria

p.s. I've done a little pre-riding of the route, and finally stopped in while they were open. Initial evaluations of the donuts are positive.

Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 08-30-22, 06:20 AM
JulesCW 

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 318 Posts
This is always a fun ride. If you're within a few hours of central Illinois make the trip! The Illinois River valley makes for a little bit of hills, but not too much, we ride along the river, through some woods and then classic farmland, and stop for apple-flavored treats -- all in the company of a few other C&V folks -- what could be better?
Likes For JulesCW:
Old 08-30-22, 11:11 AM
steelbikeguy

In addition to the reasons that Julian (aka JulesCW) mentioned, I'd like to say that part of the reason that I organize the ride is to see what bikes folks bring. Julian, to his credit, has been a big contributor in that regard!

In 2017, he showed up with a great Specialized Sequoia. These were a somewhat classic sports touring bike back in the day. Versatile, well made, and became a bit of a legend.

In 2018, we were treated to a Schwinn Paramount (1990's??)

2019 saw some rain the day before, IIRC. With wet roads, it was a good year for fenders. Julian brought his Tom Teesdale. Mr. Teesdale is based in Iowa, with a long distinguished, if somewhat low key, history.

2020 was the year that Julian brought a bike from one of the heavyweights in the world of custom frames: Bruce Gordon! Bruce was known for making large frames, so maybe this shouldn't have been a surprise?

Last year, Julian brought another cool bike, a Jim Merz touring bike.

Julian has mentioned a couple of recent purchases, both of which are pretty impressive. I'm trying to convince him to bring both to the ride.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 08-30-22, 02:44 PM
schundog

Bikes: Masi CXR, Trek Crossrip 3, Trek 5500 OCLV, 1982 Bianchi SS, Civia Kingfield Belt-Drive Commuter, Cannondale T700, Cannondale R600, Cannondale R800, Centurion Dave Scott Ironman Expert, 1988 Peugeot Nice, Marin Bobcat Trail 3 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 26 Posts
In addition to Julian's impressive collection of single rider bikes, he and his wife have 5 tandem bikes, because, ya know, choices....lol

Thanks again for hosting this, Steve; I plan to be there for the 5th year in a row, and, for the 5th year in a row, with nothing any where near as interesting as you or Julian's bikes! I have told Ted about it, and I think he is planning to come.

This past year I have had a friend from years ago reach out to me, asking questions about buying a road bike. He has a Peloton, and uses it quite a bit, but wanted to get a "real" bike. As we are the same height, I gave him a lot of pointers, but told him to just borrow my old 1985 Trek 400 Series I brought to my first Tanner's ride. He has been riding the heck out of it this summer, even doing his first English Century on it with me and our club, the Mclean County Wheelers. It was actually both his first Metric Century, too; his longest ride prior to this day was 30 miles! All this to say, he may be joining us, as well.. I look forward to seeing you then.

Brian
Likes For schundog:
Old 08-30-22, 04:42 PM
JulesCW 

Bikes: N+1

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 318 Posts
Hey! 5 tandems is only temporary -- we'll be down to 4 shortly -- I'm donating one to our local co-op -- a Fastab made in Texas in the 1970s -- kind of short in the back and way flexy, but will be a fun first tandem for somebody...

Even with the Fastab departing soon we will have two C&V tandems -- a wonderful 1980s Davidson with a lovely fillet brazed frame built by bulgie which has become our favorite tandem over the 2+ years we've owned it, and the latest acquisition, a bike that will warm the cockles of steelbikeguy 's heart, a tandem built by Iowa's Tom Teesdale in the early 1980s -- that one is a project, but sometime this fall or next spring we'll get it on the road and see what we think. Our other two are not strictly C&V but are steel -- a 650b S&S coupled Bilenky tourer and a Rivendell HHH.

A single bike for me on the Tanner's ride, though...

Originally Posted by schundog
In addition to Julian's impressive collection of single rider bikes, he and his wife have 5 tandem bikes, because, ya know, choices....lol

Thanks again for hosting this, Steve; I plan to be there for the 5th year in a row, and, for the 5th year in a row, with nothing any where near as interesting as you or Julian's bikes! I have told Ted about it, and I think he is planning to come.

This past year I have had a friend from years ago reach out to me, asking questions about buying a road bike. He has a Peloton, and uses it quite a bit, but wanted to get a "real" bike. As we are the same height, I gave him a lot of pointers, but told him to just borrow my old 1985 Trek 400 Series I brought to my first Tanner's ride. He has been riding the heck out of it this summer, even doing his first English Century on it with me and our club, the Mclean County Wheelers. It was actually both his first Metric Century, too; his longest ride prior to this day was 30 miles! All this to say, he may be joining us, as well.. I look forward to seeing you then.

Brian
Likes For JulesCW:
Old 08-31-22, 08:02 AM
motogeek 

Bikes: '86 Veloce, 72 Moto Le Champ , 72 Moto G.R., 75 Moto G.J. , 74 Moto G.R. frame, (2) 75 Moto G.J. mixte, numerous ballooners

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by JulesCW
Hey! 5 tandems is only temporary -- we'll be down to 4 shortly -- I'm donating one to our local co-op -- a Fastab made in Texas in the 1970s -- kind of short in the back and way flexy, but will be a fun first tandem for somebody...

Even with the Fastab departing soon we will have two C&V tandems -- a wonderful 1980s Davidson with a lovely fillet brazed frame built by bulgie which has become our favorite tandem over the 2+ years we've owned it, and the latest acquisition, a bike that will warm the cockles of steelbikeguy 's heart, a tandem built by Iowa's Tom Teesdale in the early 1980s -- that one is a project, but sometime this fall or next spring we'll get it on the road and see what we think. Our other two are not strictly C&V but are steel -- a 650b S&S coupled Bilenky tourer and a Rivendell HHH.

A single bike for me on the Tanner's ride, though...

Many years ago I had Tom Boyden (FASTAB Cycles, Garland, TX) build me a tandem. I did not have a lot of money to spend and he was one of the few people I could find that would build me a bare frame and let me finish it. I learned a lot about careful filing with my rifler files. I rattle can painted it bright red in my basement and built it up when finished. Surprisingly it ended up looking pretty good. I ended up selling it probably 27 years ago or so.
Likes For motogeek:
Old 08-31-22, 08:05 AM
motogeek 

Bikes: '86 Veloce, 72 Moto Le Champ , 72 Moto G.R., 75 Moto G.J. , 74 Moto G.R. frame, (2) 75 Moto G.J. mixte, numerous ballooners

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
[QUOTE=schundog;22629935]In addition to Julian's impressive collection of single rider bikes, he and his wife have 5 tandem bikes, because, ya know, choices....lol

Brian[/QUOTE

What size does he ride? I have a couple vintage Motobecane Grand Records that I am thinking about getting rid of in the 52 cm size.
Old 09-01-22, 07:11 AM
schundog

Bikes: Masi CXR, Trek Crossrip 3, Trek 5500 OCLV, 1982 Bianchi SS, Civia Kingfield Belt-Drive Commuter, Cannondale T700, Cannondale R600, Cannondale R800, Centurion Dave Scott Ironman Expert, 1988 Peugeot Nice, Marin Bobcat Trail 3 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 26 Posts
[QUOTE=motogeek;22630780]

Brian[/QUOTE

What size does he ride? I have a couple vintage Motobecane Grand Records that I am thinking about getting rid of in the 52 cm size.
Thanks, but he's my height, around 6'3". While he has enjoyed riding my old steel bike, he's set on getting a modern steed. He may, like me, realize down the road that there is a place for BOTH....
Old 09-01-22, 08:30 PM
steelbikeguy

Thanks, but he's my height, around 6'3". While he has enjoyed riding my old steel bike, he's set on getting a modern steed. He may, like me, realize down the road that there is a place for BOTH....
speaking of height... I'm inviting a local friend to join us, mostly because he's about 6' 2" (or a little taller?) and really needs to connect with some folks who ride bikes about that size! He is riding bikes that are much too small for me (about 6' even), and I don't know how he rides the bikes that he has. They must be 56cm frames, maybe?? They are both older Trek aluminum frames, so I told him to bring the one with downtube shifters. I was thinking that he needs to tap into Julian's seemingly endless supply of big bikes, but maybe he can test ride one of yours too??

I should note that he is a very strong rider, and some of us are afraid that if he gets on a bike that fits him, he'll flog us worse than he already can. Fortunately, he's a really nice guy and only drops us when he forgets to intentionally ride slow. To be clear.. I'm not kidding! My tactic is usually to keep him engaged in conversation so he won't just ride away from me.

Steve in Peoria
Old 09-02-22, 09:32 AM
76SLT 

Bikes: Some Schwinns, Raleighs, Centurions, Crescent, Bianchi

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 286 Times in 124 Posts
I'm planning on attending this year, and I promise I'll do better than 2 years ago. I'll be riding a bike that fits me better, and I'm 40 lbs lighter. Looking forward to it.
Likes For 76SLT:
Old 09-02-22, 09:50 AM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by 76SLT
I'm planning on attending this year, and I promise I'll do better than 2 years ago. I'll be riding a bike that fits me better, and I'm 40 lbs lighter. Looking forward to it.
Wow! 40 pounds is a lot! Congrats!

Are you giving any hints or teasers about the bike that you are bringing??
I'll go out on a limb and assume that it is British.

Steve in Peoria
Old 09-02-22, 06:06 PM
76SLT 

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
Wow! 40 pounds is a lot! Congrats!

Are you giving any hints or teasers about the bike that you are bringing??
I'll go out on a limb and assume that it is British.

Steve in Peoria
Cancer helped with the weight loss but all good now. I lost 60 but gained back 20. I'm choosing between an 88 Schwinn Tempo or a 77 Super LeTour 12.2 in chrome. I built both from just frames this past year.
Old 09-02-22, 06:59 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
I'm actually physically ready for this ride this year, but I'll be driving from Toronto on the 16th and will be done with travel for a while. Next year, I hope.
Old 09-02-22, 08:19 PM
steelbikeguy

Cancer helped with the weight loss but all good now. I lost 60 but gained back 20. I''m choosing between an 88 Schwinn Tempo or a 77 Super LeTour 12.2 in chrome. I built both from just frames this past year.
Very sorry to hear about the cancer! Sounds like the recovery is moving along relatively well?

Good to hear that you've been able to tinker with bikes and have been focused on domestics. As far as which bike... well, who doesn't like a chrome bike?? However, I'm not sure what a '88 Tempo looks like, so maybe that's even cooler? It will be hard to top the Raleigh Competition that you brought before, though!

Steve in Peoria
Old 09-02-22, 08:20 PM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by philbob57
I'm actually physically ready for this ride this year, but I'll be driving from Toronto on the 16th and will be done with travel for a while. Next year, I hope.
Sorry that you can't make it, but I'll save you a spot for next year.

Steve in Peoria
Old 09-02-22, 08:46 PM
76SLT 

Very sorry to hear about the cancer! Sounds like the recovery is moving along relatively well?

Good to hear that you've been able to tinker with bikes and have been focused on domestics. As far as which bike... well, who doesn't like a chrome bike?? However, I'm not sure what a '88 Tempo looks like, so maybe that's even cooler? It will be hard to top the Raleigh Competition that you brought before, though!

Steve in Peoria
The Competition is still one of my favorites but it's a little too small. Here's my choices.

Old 09-03-22, 06:11 AM
steelbikeguy

The Competition is still one of my favorites but it's a little too small. Here's my choices.
Both are very nice!
The chromed LeTour is nicely vintage and eye-catching!
The Tempo is distinctively mid to late 80's in terms of graphics, and the parts have the benefits of improved shifting and braking that Shimano gave us. The brake hoods are a bit more comfortable too.

Looking forward to whichever you decide to ride!

Steve in Peoria
Old 09-03-22, 06:05 PM
steelbikeguy

I did a basic pre-ride of most of the route on Aug 26th. It was an overcast day, which is actually a pretty nice thing in August! Unfortunately, the photos look a bit dull.

Blue Ridge Road is a bit new for this ride. We've come down it before, but that's a different experience from going up it. There are a couple of nice landmarks along the road that are worth noting.

One is the Blue Ridge Church.

the cemetery across the road looks quite scenic in the evening light... (this photo was taken some time ago)

Near the north end of Blue Ridge is a home where someone was doing wood carvings. Not sure what the current status is.. haven't seen any new work on display in some time. Interesting stuff.

I rode the Hetchins to Tanners, and was rewarded with the flowers that match the bike's color so nicely....

I'm planning to ride there again on Sunday, just to check North Hampton road. Will probably take the Raleigh International, in all of its copper-y glory! Might grab an apple fritter while I'm there.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 09-03-22, 08:12 PM
76SLT 

So far, the weather looks good but I know it's still early and it could change a lot. But it won't, right?
Old 09-03-22, 09:07 PM
steelbikeguy

So far, the weather looks good but I know it's still early and it could change a lot. But it won't, right?
are there forecasts for two weeks from now? I can't imagine that there is much accuracy.
Keep the fingers crossed and just hope for sun and mild winds!

Steve in Peoria
(had nice weather today and rode 54 miles with friends)
Old 09-03-22, 10:05 PM
76SLT 

are there forecasts for two weeks from now? I can't imagine that there is much accuracy.
Keep the fingers crossed and just hope for sun and mild winds!

Steve in Peoria
(had nice weather today and rode 54 miles with friends)
AccuWeather is pretty accurate.
Likes For 76SLT:
Old 09-15-22, 08:58 PM
steelbikeguy

I did a pre-ride of some of the route... partly to make sure I'd been over some parts of the route, and partly just to get an apple fritter.

Plus, I figured a little pre-ride publicity wouldn't hurt, so let me offer some photos from today's pre-ride.

The ride starts at Shore Acres Park in the small river town of Chillicothe, IL.

We'll meet near the cool old clubhouse. Not sure what the history is of the building, but it is interesting.

Today's ride didn't follow the full route for Saturday. Instead, I went west and then north towards North Hampton.
It's easy to forget that the season's are changing, especially when temperatures are still in the upper 80's, but the corn says it is time...

The soybeans turn an interesting mix of green and yellow as they start to dry out.
... looking west towards Truitt road...

to be continued...

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 09-15-22, 09:10 PM
steelbikeguy

At the small cluster of buildings known as North Hampton, you can see this C&V Chevy truck.

Further along, on North Hampton road, the wild flowers caught my attention...

The wild life tends to stay to itself, like the coyote that I caught crossing Krause road from one field to another. Others, such as this turkey vulture searching for something smelly and dead, don't worry about being seen.

After the short climb up out of the river valley, it's all corn, beans, and wind turbines!

to be continued....

Steve in Peoria
Old 09-15-22, 09:23 PM
steelbikeguy

On my ride, I get to go down a hill on Route 17 to Tanner's Orchard.
The bad news for some folks is that the ride on Saturday will go up this hill. It's quite popular.
random observation: I always thought this road was straight. The photo says it's not quite so straight.

At the bottom of the hill is Tanners Orchard, and all of the apples and baked goods that you might want (to buy)!
I went for an apple fritter today!

FYI, the line will be longer on Saturday...

one of the reasons that I ride bikes....
(the other reason is chocolate donuts with sprinkles, preferably from Trefzger's bakery, but a Casey's donut is a tolerable substitute)

Steve in Peoria
Old 09-16-22, 05:43 AM
beech333
Fuji Fan

Bikes: Was Fuji and got my grails (Pro, Pro SR, Design Series, & Ti). Now I hunt 50's and older road bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 109 Posts
It's too bad that this is not about 2 weeks later, when I will be heading down.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.