Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

26" RTP on a converted Trek 750?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

26" RTP on a converted Trek 750?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-22, 07:24 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 192 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater
My Bridgestone CB-1 has 2.10 Tioga Power Blocks, which is the biggest I could get under fenders. I was going to try DTH's on another mountain frame, a raised chain stay Nishiki Ariel, which has a 1 1/8 threaded fork, which would make swapping in a modern fork easier, but will still have a jacked up bottom bracket height. I enjoy the heck out of the CB-1, and would buy another to run as a drop bar bike with out all the racks bags and baskets. The Trek 750 is a bird in hand though. While I truly respect the protests of the preservationists, and those who are still looking for one...............
First off the picture is hilarious. Second. 750's of that time frame (and I own one) are really kinda funny geometry. Maybe try just mounting up some 26" with some crappy clamper brakes on the fender holes to see if it rides funny. I mounted narrowish drops on mine and it is randomly kinda floppy. So go with wide bars if you can.
Old 07-04-22, 08:10 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 684 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
We're are all on your side when it comes to well preserved classics but I'd balk at putting a production Trek on the endangered species list. After all, the OP's just trying to make a better ride for himself, not a rat-rod or vanity project.

There's an wise proverb found in the dusty digital corners of ye olde C&V. It's your bike, do what you want.
There's another old saying that applies to a lot of areas. "It's only original once."

I have a 750 and also a 970 and 930. I mod them to my liking with a variety of different setups involving handlebars, brake levers and shifters, wheels and tires, and all of them have seen multiple variations over the years. I ride all of them, and use them for different purposes. But, the only people to have touched those frames with a torch were the fine folks at Trek, in Waterloo Wisconsin. The frames are still "as built".

The thing about the 750 is that they actually are kind of scarce. They only made the lugged ones for two years, and the 790 is even more rare. I have a wide-area search saved that includes Trek 750s and 790s (among other bikes) and they don't actually come up for sale that often. Finding one in my size that was in good shape took over a year, and I had to drive a distance.

So I'm just saying maybe find another bike for this project, and if the 750 is in good shape, offer it for sale here on BF or on Craigslist.
Old 07-04-22, 08:28 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by mechanicmatt
First off the picture is hilarious. Second. 750's of that time frame (and I own one) are really kinda funny geometry. Maybe try just mounting up some 26" with some crappy clamper brakes on the fender holes to see if it rides funny. I mounted narrowish drops on mine and it is randomly kinda floppy. So go with wide bars if you can.
One of my primary bikes is a Koga Miyata Hybrid. I haven't done a precise geometry comparison, but I think its very similar to the 750. I initially built it with a short stem and when I looked back over my shoulder, I would be on the other side of the road by the time my eyes were back forward. With a longer stem and wide bars we came to a mutual under standing. There is another 26" converted 750 around on the "ibob" google group. I think the owner used a Rivendell Atlantis fork with a 55mm? rake. the Trek is speced at 40mm so that would effect the ride. I was tempted to take it out with out brakes the other day. I live in a flat area, and my neighbors have seen a number of "test flights"....