Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2022.4

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2022.4

Old 11-26-22, 03:41 PM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2752 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,186 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
The things we lose track of. When we were kids we always went to my great uncle's house for Thanksgiving. Well over thirty people, and always some that I didn't know. That was the only time I saw them. Uncle Don had a movie camera back in the forties. When he died and they were going through his stuff they found one of two reels of my parents' wedding, in 1947. Somebody had it made into a DVD and each of us kids has one. Thanks for the reminder.
Yesterday was just another day for me and the three dogs and a cat. The Mrs is in Atlanta.
My brother did that with our family 8mm movies, and then put them on you tube for my parents. I just recently looked at some, pretty cool.
Old 11-26-22, 03:59 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22505 Post(s)
Liked 8,829 Times in 4,110 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Huh. I read a couple abstracts and skimmed a paper on PubMed, and a couple things popped out - Yes, Olds who fracture their hips are 3x as likely to die over the next 5-10 years. Men are more likely to di than women. BUT it's from all causes of death that normally take out old folks - cardiac or respiratory disease, cancer, etc. It makes me wonder whether frailer people are more likely to fall and fracture hips in the first place, and then lack of mobility following the fracture exacerbates their underlying poor health?
That’s a big driver.

Case 1: frail elderly patient falls with hip fracture : prognosis not so good
Case 2: not frail elderly patient falls with hip fracture : prognosis generally good

Issue is frail elderly patients in poor health are major fall risks and more likely to have a hip fracture.

At least that’s my take on it.
Likes For datlas:
Old 11-26-22, 04:00 PM
ls01
he said member

Dad's doing well. Surgery was yesterday afternoon. He will be in the hospital for a couple days then a rehab center. Then back home. He is resting pretty well, he is sore but in pretty good spirits. I have to add he is one tough hombre.
Hope everyone's Thanksgiving was great. Mom, 81 years old, still insisted on cooking. She did 4 turkey breasts instead of a whole bird and it was fantastic. I went over early and helped/irritated her with the preparations and my sister in law finished things up while mom visited Dad in the hospital. Everyone pitched in and helped out with a dish or beverages. Was a good time.

Thank you all for the well wishes for him.
Old 11-26-22, 04:07 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10046 Post(s)
Liked 5,035 Times in 2,148 Posts
Originally Posted by ls01
Dad's doing well. Surgery was yesterday afternoon. He will be in the hospital for a couple days then a rehab center. Then back home. He is resting pretty well, he is sore but in pretty good spirits. I have to add he is one tough hombre.
Hope everyone's Thanksgiving was great. Mom, 81 years old, still insisted on cooking. She did 4 turkey breasts instead of a whole bird and it was fantastic. I went over early and helped/irritated her with the preparations and my sister in law finished things up while mom visited Dad in the hospital. Everyone pitched in and helped out with a dish or beverages. Was a good time.

Glad the surgery went well!
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 11-26-22, 04:07 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11889 Post(s)
Liked 6,481 Times in 3,411 Posts
That's what did in my Great-grandmother, 3 days after her 100th birthday. She never came out from under the anesthesia. It's possible they have learned how not to kill old people with anesthesia in the intervening 45 years, but The Docs will know better.
I think it had more to do with the struggle of rehab, for some reason.
Old 11-26-22, 04:22 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10241 Post(s)
Liked 11,593 Times in 5,942 Posts
My brother did that with our family 8mm movies, and then put them on you tube for my parents. I just recently looked at some, pretty cool.
One of my siblings had some of our old 8mm movies transferred to VHS, which gives you some idea how long ago THAT was!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 11-26-22, 04:25 PM
ls01
he said member

Originally Posted by BillyD
I think it had more to do with the struggle of rehab, for some reason.
probably more to do with underlying causes. I think the broken hip is more likely a symptom than a cause. Just one more thing in the stew of getting older.
Old 11-26-22, 04:26 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by DougRNS
dude, you moved further north. You are doing it wrong. SMH.
Oh, no it's not so much the snow and ice, it's primarily a matter of the driveway's 25% grade. My highest requirement for my new place was a level driveway.

This is just a fond memory.

Likes For BillyD:
Old 11-26-22, 04:29 PM
ls01
he said member

One of my siblings had some of our old 8mm movies transferred to VHS, which gives you some idea how long ago THAT was!
Feels like yesterday. My dad did that, the hard way. With a video camera, in real time as projected. Now no vcr. And the tapes don't last that long either.
Old 11-26-22, 04:32 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9518 Post(s)
Liked 6,264 Times in 3,453 Posts
Oh, no it's not so much the snow and ice, it's primarily a matter of the driveway's 25% grade. My highest requirement for my new place was a level driveway.

Need to add a “Don’t Like” button for pictures like that.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 11-26-22, 04:35 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by Mojo31
Traumatically fracturing a hip is way different than a hip replacement.
This.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 11-26-22, 04:39 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9518 Post(s)
Liked 6,264 Times in 3,453 Posts
A few years ago when my FIL was battling lung cancer, he broke a femur right below the ball. The cancer had spread to the bones, weakening his bones in a big way. As a result, he was in huge pain, and narcotics didn’t do much good. Every time he moved, he had really bad shooting pains. He was also on the verge of dying. The doctors recommended a hip replacement solely to eliminate the pain. Ended up doing the surgery. Sure enough, it ended that pain, but he died two weeks later from the cancer.

My wife said she would do it again after observing the pain relief and easing of his suffering.
Old 11-26-22, 04:55 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 8723 Post(s)
Liked 2,854 Times in 1,673 Posts

^^^^^^F that noise.
Likes For DougRNS:
Old 11-26-22, 05:00 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 8723 Post(s)
Liked 2,854 Times in 1,673 Posts

I'm good at irritating my mom or people in general. It's a gift.
Old 11-26-22, 05:06 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts

There was a whooooole lot of that in Boulder last week. Way more than I would have expected. I assume much of it was transplants and students from the warm.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 11-26-22, 05:16 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22505 Post(s)
Liked 8,829 Times in 4,110 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS
I'm good at irritating my mom or people in general. It's a gift.
Kudos
Old 11-26-22, 05:32 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3074 Post(s)
Liked 1,784 Times in 1,132 Posts
As it happens, one of our own, Dan Burkhart from over in C&V, has a wonderful video on re-habbing bearings in a Shimano dyno hub. He also has an axle vise to die for.
Old 11-26-22, 05:34 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10046 Post(s)
Liked 5,035 Times in 2,148 Posts
Wife has been pretty down lately. Can’t remember if I posted this or not, but we finally met with the doctor who is doing her C section last week. She hasn’t seen her doctor once in 8 months, weird. So he asked us when we wanted to schedule. She would be 39 weeks Jan 1st. We wanted Dec 30th or Dec 31st. 2 reasons: A. We have met the deductible for the year for our insurance, B. Taxes would be nice C. I was off.

Nope. He said absolutely no way he can do that. A. They absolutely will not allow a C section before 39 weeks unless it’s health related. Apparently costing me 3,000 more dollars isn’t a health issue. I Jest.

B. The 31st and First are a holiday, so they won’t schedule anything on a holiday. (Ummmm, This doesn’t sit well with me. I have to fly people from point A to point B on holidays, but surgeons get the day off). With as much money as our health care system cost this seems ridiculous. I’m not trying to be offensive, so If I offended someone sorry, this is just how I feel.

C. The earliest they can schedule her C section is Jan 4, due to the above. Apparently the holiday extends til the 3rd. This is causing her to be super stressed out. Jan 4th is 4 days before her actual due date, she is super worried she will go into labor and have to have an emergency C section, I won’t get back home until the 3rd, so if this does happen before then I won’t be able to help.

I’m trying to stay passive in this. I mean there is nothing we can do, but my wife is really upset over the situation.
Old 11-26-22, 06:49 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3074 Post(s)
Liked 1,784 Times in 1,132 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
Wife has been pretty down lately. Can’t remember if I posted this or not, but we finally met with the doctor who is doing her C section last week. She hasn’t seen her doctor once in 8 months, weird. So he asked us when we wanted to schedule. She would be 39 weeks Jan 1st. We wanted Dec 30th or Dec 31st. 2 reasons: A. We have met the deductible for the year for our insurance, B. Taxes would be nice C. I was off.

Nope. He said absolutely no way he can do that. A. They absolutely will not allow a C section before 39 weeks unless it’s health related. Apparently costing me 3,000 more dollars isn’t a health issue. I Jest.

B. The 31st and First are a holiday, so they won’t schedule anything on a holiday. (Ummmm, This doesn’t sit well with me. I have to fly people from point A to point B on holidays, but surgeons get the day off). With as much money as our health care system cost this seems ridiculous. I’m not trying to be offensive, so If I offended someone sorry, this is just how I feel.

C. The earliest they can schedule her C section is Jan 4, due to the above. Apparently the holiday extends til the 3rd. This is causing her to be super stressed out. Jan 4th is 4 days before her actual due date, she is super worried she will go into labor and have to have an emergency C section, I won’t get back home until the 3rd, so if this does happen before then I won’t be able to help.

I’m trying to stay passive in this. I mean there is nothing we can do, but my wife is really upset over the situation.
I'm sorry to read this. I wish you well.
Old 11-26-22, 06:52 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10885 Post(s)
Liked 4,558 Times in 2,088 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
That’s a big driver.

Case 1: frail elderly patient falls with hip fracture : prognosis not so good
Case 2: not frail elderly patient falls with hip fracture : prognosis generally good

Issue is frail elderly patients in poor health are major fall risks and more likely to have a hip fracture.

At least that’s my take on it.
My 82 year old mother with severe COPD fractured her hip and she kept telling me she was going to die. She had been a nurse in a nursing home. I told her she’d be fine but she died 6 weeks later of pneumonia.

Old 11-26-22, 06:53 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Glad the surgery went well!
Ditto!

Old 11-26-22, 06:57 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

I can understand the stress. Keep us informed.

Old 11-26-22, 06:58 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,839 Times in 4,390 Posts
but my wife is really upset over the situation.
Can't blame her for being upset. I don't know what you could do except support her, seems like it's out of your control.
Old 11-26-22, 08:04 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,839 Times in 4,390 Posts
I went to the club today and 13 of us started together. 2 turned back when we stopped for coffee at 25 miles and the rest of us went another 10+ miles until we split. The fastest group headed to the coast to do a century and the rest of us did 70.

It was a much easier pace after the century riders broke off. One guy went with them hoping to finish his first century ever. We asked them to be mindful of him but these are competitive types. You know, bloodthirsty hammerheads. They probably wouldn't leave him behind, heh heh.

One lady I haven't seen in a while came out but she turned back @25 miles. She's pretty small and a good climber and she said she had been off the bike for several weeks. It didn't seem to make any difference, as soon as the hills started she went right to the front and dropped my sorry ass. The same thing happened last year after she came back from a broken collar bone.

Nice day here, not windy. Glad I went.
Likes For big john:
Old 11-26-22, 08:55 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10101 Post(s)
Liked 5,781 Times in 3,111 Posts

Yeah, that’s a whole world of suck. I hope it all works out okay.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.