Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Ride Videos

Old 01-10-22, 04:38 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
Originally Posted by onekgguy
I've been sidelined from outdoor riding for the past month while I slowly recover from a nasty rib injury after falling on our icy driveway (not bike-related). Yesterday's weather was much too nice for me to ride inside any longer (23ºf / -5ºc) so I loaded up my fat bike and headed for the river bottoms. The trails were silky smooth and riding great on my 4" studded Dillingers with 4 psi (.27 bars) front and rear. I managed to crash about 15 minutes into my ride when I caught my left pedal on a large branch that was protruding through the snow on a lightly used section of the trail. Of course, I had to include it in the video below, minus the string of expletives that involuntarily came out of my mouth!
yes, always includes falls in videos! was disappointed the other night, when I went down, that the camera was off. another smooth video w/ good music! watched it before bed last night. very smoothing. thank you for sharing. noticed how clean your driveway & walkway were! how much did the fall hurt on the sore ribs?
Old 01-10-22, 09:09 AM
onekgguy
Retired

Bikes: Collage Super, Eisentraut Ltd, Sarma Shaman (fatty), Giant Revolt Advanced 0 (gravel), Orbea Oiz M20 (mtb)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
yes, always includes falls in videos! was disappointed the other night, when I went down, that the camera was off. another smooth video w/ good music! watched it before bed last night. very smoothing. thank you for sharing. noticed how clean your driveway & walkway were! how much did the fall hurt on the sore ribs?
Thanks. I was fortunate enough to not injure again the ribs that are now mostly healed but my right side ribs took a hard hit. It's not as bad as the previous injury because it's higher up on my ribcage to where it doesn't restrict my mobility or breathing as much. I was disappointed for not seeing the branch I came in contact with. I posted my video to a Facebook forum and another rider commented that he'd fallen in the same place and bent his disc brake rotor. I tried to move the branch but it was too buried in snow and too big to budge. It's a lightly used section of trail so it will likely just remain there to snag other unsuspecting riders.

Kevin g
Old 01-10-22, 09:15 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Thanks. I was fortunate enough to not injure again the ribs that are now mostly healed but my right side ribs took a hard hit. It's not as bad as the previous injury because it's higher up on my ribcage to where it doesn't restrict my mobility or breathing as much. I was disappointed for not seeing the branch I came in contact with. I posted my video to a Facebook forum and another rider commented that he'd fallen in the same place and bent his disc brake rotor. I tried to move the branch but it was too buried in snow and too big to budge. It's a lightly used section of trail so it will likely just remain there to snag other unsuspecting riders.
take care & attack!
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 01-12-22, 11:53 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked 5,577 Times in 2,894 Posts
road salt & then some ... hehehe

You definitely need one of these and they are cheap:

Likes For rsbob:
Old 01-29-22, 08:24 PM
onekgguy
Retired

Bikes: Collage Super, Eisentraut Ltd, Sarma Shaman (fatty), Giant Revolt Advanced 0 (gravel), Orbea Oiz M20 (mtb)

From 6 Months Ago

I'm still confined to my indoor trainer as I wait on a rib injury to heal. I'm hoping to be back out on the trails in the coming week. Another fall on ribs not fully healed will set me back more than I care to think about so I'm being cautious. Here's a video from 6 months ago while riding the trails along the Minnesota River in the shadow of the MSP airport.

Kevin g

Likes For onekgguy:
Old 01-31-22, 12:59 PM
rumrunn6

sounds like you are a good patient patient!

Patient comes from the Latin “patiens,” from “patior,” to suffer or bear. The patient, in this language, is truly passive—bearing whatever suffering is necessary and tolerating patiently the interventions of the outside expert.

Characteristics of a good patient include
obedience, patience, politeness, listening, enthusiasm for treatment, intelligence, physical cleanliness, honesty, gratitude and lifestyle adaptations (taking pills correctly and coming to the clinic when told)

Last edited by rumrunn6; 01-31-22 at 02:36 PM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 01-31-22, 02:29 PM
onekgguy
Retired

sounds like to are a good patient patient!

Patient comes from the Latin “patiens,” from “patior,” to suffer or bear. The patient, in this language, is truly passive—bearing whatever suffering is necessary and tolerating patiently the interventions of the outside expert.

Characteristics of a good patient include
obedience, patience, politeness, listening, enthusiasm for treatment, intelligence, physical cleanliness, honesty, gratitude and lifestyle adaptations (taking pills correctly and coming to the clinic when told)
I know that going out too soon and not having my normal mobility increases my risk for another crash and possibly setting back my recovery. I just want this done with!

Kevin g
Likes For onekgguy:
Old 02-23-22, 09:32 AM
rumrunn6

Thanks. I'm using a GoPro Hero 8 in front and a Hero 7 in the rear. Their internal stabilization is nothing short of incredible. The only adjustments to the image I make is to tweak the color.
recently got an 8 myself. boy this cam sure makes big files. what settings do you use? I was thinking 1080 24fps SuperView with HyperSmooth on Boost. I've been experimenting on foot right now, cuz I'm off the bike w/ a sore shoulder for a few weeks. how are your injuries healing?
Old 02-23-22, 05:56 PM
onekgguy
Retired

recently got an 8 myself. boy this cam sure makes big files. what settings do you use? I was thinking 1080 24fps SuperView with HyperSmooth on Boost. I've been experimenting on foot right now, cuz I'm off the bike w/ a sore shoulder for a few weeks. how are your injuries healing?
I'm using 1080 at 30 fps but 24 should be fine. Yes, Superview with HyperSmooth. I'm not sure about Boost. What is that? Is that related to color processing? I typically record in flat and enhance the color through iMovie during the editing. I was lifting furniture 8 days ago and aggravated my rib injury again. It's getting super old. I could ride and I would likely be fine but one fall and I could set myself back. I would rather wait. Golf season is just around the corner and I want to be sure I'm healthy for that! Thanks!

Here's a video from 6 months ago this week. I'll be doing this again in the next 4 to 6 weeks!

Kevin g

Likes For onekgguy:
Old 02-23-22, 06:35 PM
rumrunn6

moving furniture
lol classic. on the 8, Boost is a setting for HyperSmooth. HyperSmooth has 2 or 3 levels, where Boost is the highest. thank you for the reply & info

and I see you export 1080 from your video editing
Old 02-23-22, 06:44 PM
rumrunn6

video
most enjoyable! great job!
Old 02-23-22, 09:05 PM
onekgguy
Retired

most enjoyable! great job!
Thanks much! 🥂

Kevin g
Old 02-23-22, 09:13 PM
onekgguy
Retired

lol classic. on the 8, Boost is a setting for HyperSmooth. HyperSmooth has 2 or 3 levels, where Boost is the highest. thank you for the reply & info

and I see you export 1080 from your video editing
Ah, interesting. Yes, 1080 seems to work well. I delete all of my video files after processing each video. I do save a copy of the file I upload to YouTube. They're usually a little less than a GB.

Kevin g
Likes For onekgguy:
Old 02-27-22, 12:46 PM
onekgguy
Retired

A Return

I've been restricting my riding to my indoor trainer the past 7 weeks after a crash that resulted in a rib injury sidelined me. It was nice to make it out to the river trails yesterday and to feel the sun on my face again. I needed that.

Kevin g

Likes For onekgguy:
Old 02-27-22, 05:52 PM
rumrunn6

I like that trail. it gets pretty close to the river. ever find yourself over the edge? like the use of the stills at the end
Old 02-27-22, 06:17 PM
onekgguy
Retired

I like that trail. it gets pretty close to the river. ever find yourself over the edge? like the use of the stills at the end
No, I never have but I've heard stories of others who weren't so fortunate.

Kevin g
Likes For onekgguy:
Old 03-22-22, 08:08 AM
onekgguy
Retired

Who Let the Dogs Out!?

Yesterday was a sublime day to be on a bike!

Kevin g

Likes For onekgguy:
Old 03-22-22, 11:14 AM
rumrunn6

Yesterday was a sublime day to be on a bike!
so that's what Minnesota looks like! gravel/dirt road Heaven eh? btw - nice ride-by! looks like you got the camera up off the ground for that? how are the ribs?
Old 03-22-22, 12:20 PM
onekgguy
Retired

so that's what Minnesota looks like! gravel/dirt road Heaven eh? btw - nice ride-by! looks like you got the camera up off the ground for that? how are the ribs?
Thanks! Yes, I have a small tripod that I keep in my top-tube bag for such a scene. The ribs are back to normal.

Considering how I had 3 separate rib injuries in 8 months, I felt I should have a bone density scan done to make sure there wasn't a more concerning issue at play. Sadly, I was diagnosed with osteoporosis. It was such a shock to me but I suppose it shouldn't have been. Over the past few decades I've had to rely on high doses of the steroid prednisone to get me through phases of cluster headaches; an excruciating headache that makes migraine headaches pale in comparison. Prednisone cuts both ways in that it can be very helpful but also very harmful to one's body. It's especially hard on bones. I'm in the middle of the perfect storm for an osteoporosis diagnosis in that I have Low-T as well and the fact that I bike a fair amount. Cyclists are known for poor bone density because this thing we do is non weight-bearing. I was certain my doctor was going to recommend that I give up outdoor cycling and had prepared myself for such a request. But he didn't. He said that because of my slender build, he's not nearly as concerned about my condition as he would be for someone who has a heavier build. I was so relieved to hear this but I do realize that I need to exercise more caution when I'm riding, especially when I'm mountain biking—in other words, I need to stop crashing! I'm just glad to be out riding again and capturing some video along the way. 🥂

Kevin g
Likes For onekgguy:
Old 03-22-22, 12:40 PM
rumrunn6

Thanks! Yes, I have a small tripod that I keep in my top-tube bag for such a scene. The ribs are back to normal.
Considering how I had 3 separate rib injuries in 8 months, I felt I should have a bone density scan done to make sure there wasn't a more concerning issue at play. Sadly, I was diagnosed with osteoporosis. It was such a shock to me but I suppose it shouldn't have been. Over the past few decades I've had to rely on high doses of the steroid prednisone to get me through phases of cluster headaches; an excruciating headache that makes migraine headaches pale in comparison. Prednisone cuts both ways in that it can be very helpful but also very harmful to one's body. It's especially hard on bones. I'm in the middle of the perfect storm for an osteoporosis diagnosis in that I have Low-T as well and the fact that I bike a fair amount. Cyclists are known for poor bone density because this thing we do is non weight-bearing. I was certain my doctor was going to recommend that I give up outdoor cycling and had prepared myself for such a request. But he didn't. He said that because of my slender build, he's not nearly as concerned about my condition as he would be for someone who has a heavier build. I was so relieved to hear this but I do realize that I need to exercise more caution when I'm riding, especially when I'm mountain biking—in other words, I need to stop crashing! I'm just glad to be out riding again and capturing some video along the way. 🥂
ah interesting. I'm familiar w/ prednisone from our years of fertility treatments. Wifey was later diagnosed w/ osteoporosis & treated with I-forget-what for several years & finally her bone density improved enough to get off whatever-it-was. bad headaches are no fun, sounds like you are in good hands. always enjoyable to watch your vids!

oh & no crashing ... hehe yeah that would help!

Last edited by rumrunn6; 03-22-22 at 12:46 PM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 03-22-22, 05:42 PM
rumrunn6

Yesterday was a sublime day to be on a bike!https://youtu.be/opA-t5SUscg
far out man. parts of that were pretty trippy & well done
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 03-22-22, 07:01 PM
onekgguy
Retired

far out man. parts of that were pretty trippy & well done
Thanks so much! 🥂

Kevin g
Old 03-23-22, 01:30 PM
RobGood

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks guys for this interesting thread,I also enjoy watching YouTube videos with Fabio Wibmer(crazy)
Likes For RobGood:
Old 03-23-22, 01:45 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by RobGood
YouTube videos with Fabio Wibmer
nice shoulder separation at the AC Joint ... way worse than the one I am recovering from
Old 04-17-22, 11:53 AM
onekgguy
Retired

Let's Ride Bikes! In the Wind!

Some of us are dragging out our winter gear to get some gravel miles in here in the Minneapolis area as spring continues to be mostly a no-show. These are a few snippets from yesterday afternoon's ride with some of the guys from Cannon Valley Velo Club in Northfield, MN. A good time and a good workout!

Kevin g

Likes For onekgguy:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.