Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Renegade Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-22, 07:49 PM
Darylb23

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Renegade Questions

I have been having a heck of a time finding a bike in stock locally. I talked to a shop the other day that apparently has an S3 and an Expert in stock. They are also saying Jamis is going to restock next month so if I like the fit I could order a new one of another model.

My first question is how much nicer is the S2? I know it is a better steel and has higher end components but is it worth the extra?

Also, the Expert seems to be an older model but I’d love to get some thoughts on that one. I can also order a Giant Revolt Advanced but I still don’t know what size I need. How would you compare the Jamis bikes mentioned to the Giant, considering all but the S3 are similar price?
Old 10-13-22, 06:17 AM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
I do not have first hand knowledge, but I would say most of the weight savings (really what little there is) is more directly related to the better wheels/tires they put on the S2, rather than the tubing upgrade. I would doubt you would notice the difference between tube sets. The primary choice to me, would be giving up a 2x crankset to go with the 1x offered in the S2. I recently put this fsa crank on a bike, running 2x11, and it's really performed nicely.

Both are very nice bikes, I would guess most of the $$ in the upgrade price is the groupset/wheels. Lol, I'd probably go for the S2 due to the colorway, rather than any other factor.
Likes For Craptacular8:
Old 10-13-22, 05:05 PM
Darylb23

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Craptacular8
I do not have first hand knowledge, but I would say most of the weight savings (really what little there is) is more directly related to the better wheels/tires they put on the S2, rather than the tubing upgrade. I would doubt you would notice the difference between tube sets. The primary choice to me, would be giving up a 2x crankset to go with the 1x offered in the S2. I recently put this fsa crank on a bike, running 2x11, and it's really performed nicely.

Both are very nice bikes, I would guess most of the $$ in the upgrade price is the groupset/wheels. Lol, I'd probably go for the S2 due to the colorway, rather than any other factor.

I'm actually with you on color. I feel like I want a bike in the garage that I'm excited to ride. It is probably why I haven't pulled the trigger on the Giant either. The only color I can get near me is black and it feels boring.
Old 10-14-22, 07:06 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
The Jamis Expert was their carbon frame gravel bike. Without knowing from which model year it is, speaking much on it is worthless since the Renegade frame design changed a couple times and components also changed. It will be nicely specd with 105 most likely have more limited tire clearance than the current lineup.

Thoughts on S2 vs S3
- The S2 is 1x and the S3 is 2x. I much prefer a 2x drivetrain for gravel as it has a wider overall gear range so it doesnt feel limiting going fast on paved road and doesnt feel like I am trying to push too large of a gear on a steep gravel climb.
- The S2 drivetrain is 11sp which I would prefer to 10sp.
- The S2 has a sealed bearing headset.
- S2 paint is way nicer looking, but that is very subjective.
- S2 frame is 631
- S2 is di2 compatible, if you ever decide to upgrade(not sure how big of a selling point that is for most people).
- The Boyd wheelset on the S2 is nicer than the WTB on the S3. It is a couple hundred grams lighter(though it is not light itself), it has butted spokes, and it is centerlock instead of 6 bolt.
- The S2 has a carbon seatpost that should help reduce vibrations and flex a bit more.
- Both bikes have underwhelming tires in size and quality.
- All other components are either identical or effectively the same in terms of quality.

So looking at that list, I would want the S2 due to its frame tubing, color, seatpost, and wheels. I would want the S3 due to it being a 2x drivetrain.
It would be really nice if brands made the same quality bike in both 1x and 2x. You shouldnt have to upgrade or downgrade just to get one or the other.
Ultimately I would buy the S2 and put my current gravel bike drivetrain on it, then sell the old bike with the 1x from the S2. That would give me the better color, better tubing, better seatpost and wheels, and also a 2x drivetrain. <--that is obviously way more work than most want or are able to do.

You really should have an opinion on 1x vs 2x. That typically isnt something a person is agnostic about and it would probably be the biggest driver for which model to select.
Old 10-16-22, 08:49 PM
Darylb23

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Well, that didn’t work out exactly as planned. They didn’t have the bikes at the shop I thought they were going to have. Instead they had a couple of C2’s. After much test riding, I pulled the trigger. Test rides are test rides although they let me ride all over the area. I had previously ridden a Giant Revolt Advanced although it was too small, a Cannondale Topstone Carbon, BMC URS Al, and maybe another bike or two. The Jamis is definitely the best fitting, best riding of the lot. It immediately felt like I thought it should. I am super happy so far and can’t wait to get some miles.

as for the 1x vs 2x, I didn’t have a strong opinion because I hadn’t ridden a 1x. A lot of people in my area ride 1x so it would probably have been fine but this came with a 2x grx 812 setup.
Likes For Darylb23:
Old 10-19-22, 12:23 PM
bh85

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
I had Renegade C2 (carbon) and also Renegade Expat (steel).

As far as steel frame Renegade, it looked nice but it was super heavy. Had good tire clearance. I fitted 42's on there and still had some room for maybe 45's. Paint was very weak. Seatpost binding screw had paint peeling right away. Also around bottle cage holes. I didnt like that considering it was a brand new bike. It was known issue from people with these steel bikes.

Renegade C2 was a nice bike. Never had any problems. Wasn't super light as you would expect with carbon. Its more of a budget carbon bike. It was $2500. So you can only expect so much. Didn't give me any issues. The only problem that it had was the tire clearance. Its doesn't have much. I had 38's on it and there wasn't much room. Today most of the gravel bikes come with huge tire clearance. 45-47. Jamis needs to increase tire clearance on carbon renegades, because everyone wants to put bigger tires and not worry about mud or dirt damaging chainstay. They have been using the same frame for same time.