Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What Keeps You From Riding More?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What Keeps You From Riding More?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-22, 01:59 PM
DonkeyShow

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
Lack of sobriety and desire to ride all the hills around my house.

Also got my nuts snipped this month, haven't been on a bike since.

Last edited by DonkeyShow; 10-25-22 at 02:13 PM.
Likes For DonkeyShow:
Old 10-25-22, 02:10 PM
schwim

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Even though you may have good weather all year, are there things keeping you from your ride?
A destructive combination of ridiculous health-related hurdles and lack of ambition.
Likes For schwim:
Old 10-25-22, 04:21 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts

Even though you may have good weather all year, are there things keeping you from your ride?

Weather has never been an issue for me. Rain, snow, blizzards, ice no problem I enjoy them all....I was a daily all year round commuter for 12 years and I lived car-free voluntarily for 4 years plus I would do recreational rides on the weekend after commuting all week, so there is really nothing that prevents me from riding more. Right now I put commuting on hold and I only ride twice per week for recreation and fun, mostly a mix road, gravel and singletrack trails. I am really looking forward to this winter season and I hope that we get a lot of snow an ice.... It's just my own decision to ride less than before. Maybe some day I will go back to riding 7 days per week like I used to before.
Old 10-25-22, 04:32 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
For me, it is almost always physical health issues that keep me off my bikes. I barely rode the first 4 months of this year due to acute prostatitis and shoulder issues. Since mid September, I have only about 200 miles, due to lower back and left hip pain, with limited range of motion. I did get in a 15 mile ride today, I need 300 more to hit my 5000 for 2022. From May 1st to mid September, close to 4000 miles.
Old 10-25-22, 04:52 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 776 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
My mom died in January, and taking care of her finances, her taxes and her other assets such as the house have taken up a lot of time this year.
Originally Posted by spelger
i wasn't going to bring this up but since you did...my mom just passed away 9 days ago. you know how i am feeling and i am beginning to go through all those details as well. it is a slow and hard process.
My condolences to you both. Believe me, I know how hard it can be. My wife passed away after a long battle with cancer earlier this month. She was in home hospice, and I was her primary caregiver, so I haven't had much time at all to get out on the bike this year.

Last edited by Bald Paul; 10-26-22 at 05:45 AM.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 10-25-22, 04:57 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
Weather, wind mostly, and competing hobbies and interests. I logged 88 hours of volunteer time at the local museum in September.
Old 10-25-22, 05:59 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,602 Times in 2,907 Posts
Very sorry to hear about the personal losses. There is the inevitable pain but also the seemingly endless paperwork and if emptying and selling a house is involved…. Thoughts go out to you and your families.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 10-25-22, 06:06 PM
PaulH

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
Used to commute every day, regardless of weather. My office switched to remote work during COVID. Now, I have much less need to ride. A few lunch or shopping trips a week is all I do,
Old 10-25-22, 06:12 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
*Work
*Wife
*Sleep
Those are my top three
Old 10-25-22, 06:37 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
Weather rarely interferes with my riding. For me, I just don't have more time to devote to riding.
Old 10-25-22, 06:39 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
working 6 days a week plus 2 night shifts & traveling out of state, every other weekend for family
Old 10-25-22, 06:40 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
*Work
*Wife
*Sleep
Those are my top three
you're doomed jk
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 10-25-22, 06:41 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by PaulH
Used to commute every day, regardless of weather. My office switched to remote work during COVID. Now, I have much less need to ride. A few lunch or shopping trips a week is all I do,
so many parts of the last 2-3 years has cut down my cycling for one reason or another & skipping all of spring & summer my quads have shrunk
Old 10-25-22, 06:43 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by DonkeyShow
Lack of sobriety and desire to ride all the hills around my house.Also got my nuts snipped this month, haven't been on a bike since.
good thing you still have your sense of humor
Old 10-25-22, 08:32 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,384 Times in 708 Posts
work, work, family, work, health, work, and family.

i have gotten pretty good st squeezing rides around work / during breaks in work. averaging a bit over 500 miles/month for the last two years. would probably do double that if i was single or unemployed. weather isn’t much of a factor here, although i do avoid any days >80 degrees.
Old 10-25-22, 09:28 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6944 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by DonkeyShow
Also got my nuts snipped this month, haven't been on a bike since.
You need to 'man up.' I was back in the saddle just a couple days after the snip-snip.

Here's an issue that has not been mentioned, though indyfabz and I have alluded to it: plenty of posters have noted that their jobs keep them from riding as much as they want to...And this is on a forum with plenty of members who also regularly discuss their newest uber-expensive bikes. I'm guessing that some people with such machines might also be into swanky autos, boats, etc -- in fact, sometimes, when people post pics of their bikes, you can see their sports cars in the background. There is a push-pull between buying the gear (which requires working) and finding the time to actually use it. I am sometimes amazed to read posts from people who've been riding a short time and have already bought more bikes than I've purchased in twenty years of fairly serious riding. I could've bought more bikes, and more expensive bikes, but living a relatively modest material lifestyle has helped me to drop to <1/2 time work at 54 and full retirement at 59. I'm now happier than I've been in decades -- even riding on my twenty-year old LeMond with 9 speed components.

Granted, along with those choices, I had some other advantages -- most notably, a much younger wife who is a good earner and carries me (at no cost to us) on her work health insurance. But lifestyle choices have played a role.

Life is about tradeoffs, and I'd rather have less cool stuff and more time to enjoy the stuff I do have before I'm too old.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-25-22, 09:35 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,384 Times in 708 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
You need to 'man up.' I was back in the saddle just a couple days after the snip-snip.

Here's an issue that has not been mentioned, though indyfabz and I have alluded to it: plenty of posters have noted that their jobs keep them from riding as much as they want to...And this is on a forum with plenty of members who also regularly discuss their newest uber-expensive bikes. I'm guessing that some people with such machines might also be into swanky autos, boats, etc -- in fact, sometimes, when people post pics of their bikes, you can see their sports cars in the background. There is a push-pull between buying the gear (which requires working) and finding the time to actually use it. I am sometimes amazed to read posts from people who've been riding a short time and have already bought more bikes than I've purchased in twenty years of fairly serious riding. I could've bought more bikes, and more expensive bikes, but living a relatively modest material lifestyle has helped me to drop to <1/2 time work at 54 and full retirement at 59. I'm now happier than I've been in decades -- even riding on my twenty-year old LeMond with 9 speed components.

Granted, along with those choices, I had some other advantages -- most notably, a much younger wife who is a good earner and carries me (at no cost to us) on her work health insurance. But lifestyle choices have played a role.

Life is about tradeoffs, and I'd rather have less cool stuff and more time to enjoy the stuff I do have before I'm too old.
no doubt some work long hard hours at jobs they dislike in order to keep up in the rat race, have the latest things and so on. but there is another possibility, which is working long hard hours at something because you enjoy it, believe it to be important or fulfilling, can’t be successful at it without pushing hard, etc. i find cycling immensely satisfying and rewarding but it’s also pretty self-indulgent for me. most other things i could do with my time are of more benefit to someone else.
Old 10-26-22, 04:18 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
Life gets in the way for most of us, keeping us away from our passion/fitness/relaxation regime. What keeps you off the bike more than you want and are there any changes you can make to get more seat time?

For me, its the change in the weather. We have entered the rainy-cool season in the Pacific North Wet. Will get out the fendered bike on the wet roads, but being caught in downpours and then cleaning/relubing the bike afterward is exactly not my kind of fun. (OK, I’m lazy). OTOH, I do have ZWIFT but an hour is about all I can bear/bare/baer, stand.

My limitations:-

1. Family committments (2 demanding young girls, 4 demanding pets and 1 very demanding wife!)
2. Poor weather (for outdoor rides)
3. Fatigue. 50+ year old bones need plenty of rest & recovery!

What could I do about them:-

1. Divorce
2. Move to Mallorca
3. Get more sleep
Old 10-26-22, 06:54 AM
phedge

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 260 Times in 89 Posts
Recovery.

Now that we've made it through our careers, losing 4 parents and one brother the last decade, couple minor health issues, kids early adulthood traumas and a myriad of other issues standing in the way I find I can no longer ride hard endlessly like before. Ironic how life works but I'll take the trade off any day, when you've won, you've won.
Old 10-26-22, 08:22 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Not mentioned yet is that old October-November bugaboo, at least for many of us here.... The annual cleanup of leaves. Despite living on a narrow urban lot, I get about eleven billion leaves each season and I'll be picking them up until December. It's harder work than bike riding and it sure is time consuming!
Old 10-26-22, 08:38 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8263 Post(s)
Liked 9,000 Times in 4,456 Posts
I always thought when I retired I would ride a lot more than I actually do. The last few years of working took a huge toll on my fitness and when I retired in 2019 it took some time to get back to feeling good on medium length rides. Then came other physical challenges.

Trying to keep up with riders who are younger, lighter, and faster is fun until after the ride. 2 group rides per week and 2 solo for a total of 150 miles feels like a lot now.

We have high temps here but can ride all year and Mrs John doesn't object and there isn't anything keeping me from riding more besides my own decrepitude.
Old 10-26-22, 09:18 AM
05 fuji
Cancer survivor (twice)

Bikes: 2020 Trek Verve 2

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 74 Posts
Cancer, radiation, stroke, cancer returned, radiation again, kidneys damaged by radiation. I thought upon retirement I was going to do some serious biking but some things required that I would be limited on my ability to ride. I can tell you this - on the good days when I can ride - it is never "just another ride". It is an experience and I am back to being young again!
Likes For 05 fuji:
Old 10-26-22, 09:36 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by phedge
Ironic how life works but I'll take the trade off any day, when you've won, you've won.
Years ago I heard someone make the following observation.

There are three things that fluctuate throughout our lives: Time, Money, and Health. At each stage of life, one of them will usually be lacking, and that is the thing we will value and desire most.

When we're young, we have plenty of time and good health, but no money. In adulthood, we have money and health but lack free time. In old age, we have lots of time and enough money, but our health fails.

This is generally true. (There are exceptions, of course.) It may not be profound, and I'm not sure what to take from it, but I find it interesting. I think one thing to learn from it is the importance of recognizing and appreciating the things we have plenty of, instead of focusing on the ones we lack.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 10-26-22, 09:41 AM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
Not mentioned yet is that old October-November bugaboo, at least for many of us here.... The annual cleanup of leaves. Despite living on a narrow urban lot, I get about eleven billion leaves each season and I'll be picking them up until December. It's harder work than bike riding and it sure is time consuming!
I only mulch leaves using a lawnmower. This way I am building top soil.
Old 10-26-22, 10:12 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6944 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck Naill
I only mulch leaves using a lawnmower. This way I am building top soil.
Having lived on a lot with many mature trees, and which was surrounded on two sides by dense forest, I can confirm that this does not always work. When you can scoop the leaves with a snow shovel, the lawnmower ain't getting through.
Likes For Koyote:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.