Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Problems with rear caliper brake set up

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 11-21-22, 10:25 AM
Gosh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I’ve been struggling with keeping the arms/pads from rubbing on one side of my rear brakes Shimano 105 caliper brake. When depressing/letting off the break the non spring side /drive side (other side from cable attachment) doesn’t open sufficiently to take up all the cable slack. The arm opens when I push down on the end. Please see video attached. I have just changed the housing and cable, thinking that might be the problem and the housing end are fully inserted into lever and ferrules, there are no burrs on the housings. It is though the cable housing isn’t springing back all take up all the cable. I would be grateful for some suggestions of how to fix or what I’ve been doing wrong. Thanks
Old 11-21-22, 10:58 AM
Gosh

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Sorry I’m having a problem uploading the video in the correct format as it doesn’t like video from iPhone. Here’s a still and I can seem to lose about the 10mm of movement.
Old 11-21-22, 10:59 AM
Gosh

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Can’t seem to lose
Old 11-21-22, 11:40 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Why don't you just put the video on some hosting site such as youtube and just post the link to it.

However I'm having a time trying to understand your issue. But I might can imagine that you don't have the caliper and pads spaced equally on both sides of the rim. There is a small screw that determines how far on arm of the caliper will be from the rim. Then once they are equal, you just adjust the barrel adjuster or the position of the cable in the pinch bolt to get both at the correct distance from the rim.

Are you installing this brake? Or changing the cable? Or what is the history of this and when did it become an issue?

Page 13 of this pdf shows where the centering adjustment screw is for many of the Shimano series. However yours might be different. They don't look like my 105 brakes from the 5800 series. But maybe it's just the angle of the camera.
https://si.shimano.com/en/pdfs/dm/BR...003-09-ENG.pdf

Last edited by Iride01; 11-21-22 at 11:49 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 11-21-22, 11:45 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
There is a small screw that determines how far on arm of the caliper will be from the rim. Then once they are equal, you just adjust the barrel adjuster or the position of the cable in the pinch bolt to get both at the correct distance from the rim.
That "centering screw" is not needed for dual pivot brakes. Assuming the pivots aren't dirty or binding, all you do is adjust the cable length to get a proper pad separation, center the caliper over the rim by hand and snug down the mounting bolt. If one arm is binding check it's mounting bolt to the caliper and/or lubricate the pivot.
Old 11-21-22, 11:51 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2430 Post(s)
Liked 2,892 Times in 1,647 Posts
You'll be able to add a video now, since you're over the Bike Forums 10-post minimum for new posters.

The last time I had that problem with a brake: it turned out that I'd cut the cable housing just a bit too short.
Old 11-21-22, 11:52 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by HillRider
That "centering screw" is not needed for dual pivot brakes. Assuming the pivots aren't dirty or binding, all you do is adjust the cable length to get a proper pad separation, center the caliper over the rim by hand and snug down the mounting bolt. If one arm is binding check it's mounting bolt to the caliper and/or lubricate the pivot.
I had to use it for mine and for the BR-4700 brakes on my son's bike. Perhaps you had direct mount brakes and/or everything was perfect already at the time you installed yours.
Old 11-21-22, 12:11 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
Likes For dedhed:
Old 11-21-22, 12:28 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 331 Posts
Sometimes the pivot on that side gets tight because of dirt, wear, or loss of lubrication on the bushing. Sometimes a thorough cleaning plus a shot of thin lubricant will loosen it. If that doesn't work, you'll have to loosen the pivot. Generally, these are an Allen bolt in front into a nylock nut in the rear arm. There might be a grub screw underneath, too. So loosen the grub screw, loosen the pivot bolt a whisker, test, and tighten the grub screw. Don't loosen it so much that you can twist the arm out of alignment. Then squirt a drop of light lube into the pivot.

And since you're not using the reflector holder attached to the mounting bolt, lose it. It only gets in the way.
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 11-21-22, 01:57 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Test first, fix once... Remove the wheel..squeeze brake lever.. WATCH to see if both sides of the brake respond the same... if so, you have an ALIGNMENT issue with the Brake Caliper... if one side barely moves, you have a sticking brake problem.

you can solve an alignment issue by loosening the mount nut and then closing the brake on the recently reinstalled wheel.. then tighten the Nut CAREFULLY While Holding the Brake Lever Tightly, Watching to ensure the Caliper doesn't twist out of position as you tighten.... i hold the caliper as i tighten the mount nut.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 11-21-22, 03:20 PM
Gosh

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks all for your prompt responses. Here’s a YouTube link thanks for the suggestion Iride01

I have tried all sorts of combinations of cable tension, centering screw positions and have started with the barrel adjuster full out to give maximum loosing but still the non spring side doesn’t open to take up the slack as shown although I accept I might have made things worse. I haven’t tried lubricating the pivots so I will try that thanks for the instructions Oldbobcat. (By the way that’s a bracket to fix a mudguard not a reflector holder). I will take wheel off first as per Maddox 34 suggestion - a simple thing which never occurred to me. I’ll report back tomorrow.
Old 11-21-22, 04:16 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I had to use it for mine and for the BR-4700 brakes on my son's bike. Perhaps you had direct mount brakes and/or everything was perfect already at the time you installed yours.
Nope, I've never had a "direct mount" side pull brake of any kind. I've got older 105, Ultegra and Dura Ace dual pivots with either nutted or recessed nut mounting. These all date from 2005 or earlier and that was well before direct mount calipers were even though of. As I mentioned you can set the pad gap by adjusting the cable length, center them by hand and then tighten the mounting bolt/nut to keep them from moving off center. It's never failed.

The only brakes I've needed the centering screws for were V-brakes and cantilevers and those just controlled the return spring tension.
Old 11-21-22, 04:21 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Nope, I've never had a "direct mount" side pull brake of any kind. I've got older 105, Ultegra and Dura Ace dual pivots with either nutted or recessed nut mounting. These all date from 2005 or earlier and that was well before direct mount calipers were even though of. As I mentioned you can set the pad gap by adjusting the cable length, center them by hand and then tighten the mounting bolt/nut to keep them from moving off center. It's never failed.
Okay.... I guess.

I see what you are saying and don't really disagree that you can center them that way. However the centering screw is there and it works too. So I guess I'll just assume you were pointing out an alternate way to do the centering.
Old 11-21-22, 06:01 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
These all date from 2005 or earlier and that was well before direct mount calipers were even though of..
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ll-brakes.html
Old 11-21-22, 06:26 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3431 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,723 Posts
What’s with all that clicking when you manually move the arm??
Old 11-22-22, 07:09 AM
Gosh

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
It was sticky pivots which were stopping the brake from snapping open and pulling the cable tight between the barrel adjuster and pinch bolt. I was able to take apart the brake, clean and regrease and issue solved. I wasn’t aware you could do that so thanks again for suggestions and advice above. This video shows brake cable issues like mind with the calliper not releasing with some advice on how to recondition the brake.

Likes For Gosh:
Old 11-22-22, 12:38 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3431 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,723 Posts
Still don't understand the clicking, even with sticky pivots. Sounded like you were moving an indexed shift lever.
Old 11-22-22, 03:35 PM
Trakhak

Quoted: 2430 Post(s)
Liked 2,892 Times in 1,647 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Still don't understand the clicking, even with sticky pivots. Sounded like you were moving an indexed shift lever.
Probably the brake lever first sagging downward (when moving the brake arm around relaxed the cable tension) and then clicking against the lever body when the cable tension was restored.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 11-23-22, 01:08 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 303 Posts
The section of housing by the seat seems too long, it may be pushing on the caliper arm, preventing it from opening back up fully.
Old 11-26-22, 01:42 PM
Gosh

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4

Apologies for delay in replying. The clicking in the video when I moved the calliper by hand was the cable end in the lever hitting its stop as there was not enough spring tension on the cable because of the sticky pivots. Once the pivots were clean and regressed the spring was able to work properly to release the callipers and hence tension the cable.
Likes For Gosh: